How does a busy Mom find time to work out???

Options
It's hard working full time, trying to keep the household running, and having a two year old. I don't want to make excuses, I want help figuring out how to make it work. Pre child times I worked out T-Th-Sat. Now too many things come up and everyday is so different that I find it hard to stay in a routine. Help! It's very depressing!

Replies

• CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    My suggestions would be to find workouts you can do with your little one. Walk/jog with them in a stroller, get a bike trailer, maybe some swimming. That way you're taking care of you without missing mommy time. It's a challenge - I work full time, go to school, and have 5 kids, but I've just had to make myself a priority. You could also try some DVD's at home in the morning or at night while little one is sleeping.
  • itsmewendylee
    itsmewendylee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I recently blogged on this topic here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/itsmewendylee

I'm going to try using 10 minute work outs and burst training to fit it in...
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The coolest thing I ever seen was those moms and dads who take the kids walking with them via big wheel stroller or cart. That is quality time. Its so neat to talk to the kids during those moments.
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I pay for a class (zumba) once a week. My husband watches our two year old. They get special time together.I feel like if I pay for a class, I have to go otherwise I would waste money. Then if I can, I squeeze in a half hour on the elliptical other days. My house is usually a mess, but at least I am losing weight and feeling better than I would if I was overweight but the house was clean :) It's all a matter of how you look at it. Make time for yourself. I have more energy now than I did 42 pounds ago; therefore, I am a better mom the other 23 hours in the day for my daughter. Good luck!
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Options:
    - Stroller Group
    - Running Stroller
    - Mall walking (I was at the mall at 10am 2 weeks ago and it was packed with mothers!)
    - Babysitter swap (find another lady who would like to workout and swap sitting and exercise)
    - Gym with childcare (more expensive)

You can do it! It's hard but you will feel better afterwords.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids, and I go to college full time. I usually go in to the gym at 5-6 am. Since hubby is here that works for me. Depending on your hours this may work for you too. I used to get up that early to do Power 90, and that worked out well too :flowerforyou:
  • MarriedMama
    Options
    Hi Busy Mom,

I totally understand. I solved it by using Leslie Sansone power walk-jog videos. I use the 5 mile walk/jog (12 minute miles) for 1 hour, and sometimes I'll double it for 10 miles. I added weights for toning. I love it because I don't have to drive anywhere, or leave the house. It doesn't matter what I wear or how I look because I'm at home. I try to get the kids to join me for atleast part of it, and they usually get very tired, which is great for them. Leslie does the videos with low impact and high impact options too. It's so easy, and saves time and money. Also, I don't have bulky machines eating up floor space. It's an indoor video excercise so when it rains it won't stop me. So, it just really works for us. Also, I bought a watch heart rate monitor and it helps me to keep track of my heartbeat so that I can monitor my performance levels while using the video.

It's too perfect for words. I love it. Please consider trying it. Best Wishes!

Married Mama:drinker:
  • GDrazenovich
    Options
    Tough dilemna. St. John of the Cross, the medieval mystic, had advice for people who said that they could not find time to meditate. His suggestion was to double the time you spend. At first it sounds strange, but when you think about it, it makes sense.

Time gets flittered away and you have to just find time to do it when you can. If you work out intensely for just 20 minutes that is sufficient. Skip rope, push ups, sit ups, running on the spot or all of the above. You can do all of it at home.

But of course there is the time to cool down and shower, etc. after. Look at it this way though. It is fantastic role modelling for your child.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I drag my sleep-deprived rear out of bed for a crack-of-dawn workout before my daughter gets up, take advantage of nap time, and work out while my husband gets his quality one-on-one time with our daughter for an hour or so in the evenings after he's home from work.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way, but I had to tell myself that I am worth it. The first thing I had to do was get my husband on board. I have 3 kids, a full time job and a house to clean and it was so easy for me to come home after work and sit down to relax and never get up. And when I did have energy, I always felt like other things at home were deserving my attention. What I found was that if I paid for a gym membership and forced myself to go right after work, I would already have it done and I didn't have to wait until my kids were in bed and my house was clean. I also take a zumba class 2x a week. Forcing myself to do it outside of my house, even though I have a treadmill has made all the difference for me. I use my treadmill when I just don't have the time to go to the gym and in the winter when I can't get out of the house. It was definitely the right choice for me! Good luck to you. Just remind yourself that you are worth it. You deserve to make yourself a priority!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I also have 5 children, work full time (teacher), and am in my last semeter of Graduate school. I know allll about a busy life! I had to start making myself a priority. Making yourself a priority doesn't equate to neglecting the other aspects of your life so don't think that! Here's how I do it... we have a family membership at our gym that offers childcare. However, my youngest is still too young to attend (they don't start keeping them until 6 months). I did not want to wait to start exercising until she was 6 months- so I started jogging around my neighborhood in a reflective vest after everyone went to bed. I also started doing the 30 day shred dvd during any time I had at home.. if I have 30 minutes to sit down and watch a tv show... i have 30 minutes to get up and get moving to a workout dvd. My gym offers various classes that I enjoy (Muscle Max, Power Spin) and I TELL (I do not ask permission) my husband that I will be going to my class (it is an hour, then I usually do some abs and a few miles on the treadmill which equates to 2 hours away from home). This happens about twice during the week and once on the weekends. While I am gone, my husband gets dinner cooked (which I've prepped) and gets the kids' homework done and the two babies bathed. Teamwork makes the dream work! lol

We stay on top of getting laundry washed (it doesn't always get folded immediately) and dishes washed (dishwasher doesn't always get unloaded) but you know what? I'm ok with that... it doesn't bother me anymore. Dishes and laundry are not more important than my health. I am a person, not a servant... I deserve (and will) exercise. Sure it bothers me when my kids cry for me and say they don't want me to go... but every time I exercise I am potentially increasing my lifespan and for that they will eventually (hopefully) be grateful.

Here is a way you can exercise without leaving home. If you enjoy watching tv with your family... get up and do jumping jacks or crunches during commercial breaks. While dinner is cooking, do some lunges in the kitchen. While you are bathing your child, do a few squats. Sporadic bursts of exercise will add up throughout the day! It's a start!
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm a mom of a 2 year old and I also work full time.

Here's how I find my time.... I work out at least two or three nights a week directly after work. I go straight from work to the gym and do a one hour workout. The nights that I do that, my husband picks up my two year old from day care. Once I'm home from the gym, we eat dinner and then my husband goes and works out while I put our two-year down to bed. Then on weekends, we get up and go to the gym each morning (Saturday and Sunday) at about 9 AM and work out for an hour. I have daycare hours at the gym, so we take our 2 year old to the gym daycare while we work out. He loves going to the gym and always asks to go. It's so cute!

Our house is not perfectly neat and tidy during the work week, but we find time to clean on weekends while our two year old naps each afternoon. He sleeps from about 1 to 4 PM. I also get all our laundry done on Saturday. It's an all-day process.

Yes, it seems like we're always go go going and that there's no down time. But we make it work!

Good luck!
    Megan
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    hmm, well I only have the one child but when he was a baby and I worked + studied I would get up at 5am & go for a 60-90 min walk every morning and then come home and head off to either work or school depending on the day.
    At school we had use to the gym at lunch so I made use of the time with the treadmills, bikes and weights.

When he got older (about 2) He learned to ride a bike and by 3 he had the training wheels off so I used to go for runs along the river in the city while he road next to me.

Now he is almost 5, I take him down to the local high school (after school hours) with the dog, he rides around the massive internal fenced off driveway they have as well as down the hills and across the grass while I either do laps of the oval with the dog off the lead or do stair sprints.

When I don't have him I like to Hike up the local mountain we have here, its only a 3.7 km hike up and then usually run down. Also I have a 30 min Yoga Buns workout DVD that I go through phases of waking up Monday ->Thursday (4 days) at 6am to do before the rest of the house is up and running.

The hardest part is getting out of bed or off your butt, but when you finally get started its all worth it!

When you know you want to or should but just cant be bothered, just think "In an hour I could be finished and back hoe happy I have done it... or I could still be sitting here, having done nothing or achieved nothing and could have been and done my exercise and be back again already :)"
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also joined a running group, I run 10km every Friday morning at 5:55am rain or shine. I feel bad - like I am letting them down if I don't turn up- so it makes me go 9 times out of 10
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm a mom of a 2 year old and I also work full time.

Here's how I find my time.... I work out at least two or three nights a week directly after work. I go straight from work to the gym and do a one hour workout. The nights that I do that, my husband picks up my two year old from day care. Once I'm home from the gym, we eat dinner and then my husband goes and works out while I put our two-year down to bed. Then on weekends, we get up and go to the gym each morning (Saturday and Sunday) at about 9 AM and work out for an hour. I have daycare hours at the gym, so we take our 2 year old to the gym daycare while we work out. He loves going to the gym and always asks to go. It's so cute!

Our house is not perfectly neat and tidy during the work week, but we find time to clean on weekends while our two year old naps each afternoon. He sleeps from about 1 to 4 PM. I also get all our laundry done on Saturday. It's an all-day process.

Yes, it seems like we're always go go going and that there's no down time. But we make it work!

Good luck!
    Megan

Megan beat me to it. I have practically similar workout schedules.

I drop off my two year old at the daycare and my husband picks him up. In the meantime, I go straight from work to the gym and spend 1 hour, hour and a half working out. If my husband is not available to babysit then I either use the gym's kiddie care or call our babysitter or just take him with me in his trailer.

Monday: I teach spinning so I'm forced to workout.
    Tuesday/Thursday: I signed up for advanced swim classes. It's one thing to do laps on your own. It's quite a different thing when you're told by an instructor. The friendly competition alone between me and my classmates is enough to inspire me to do that extra lap or two.
    Wednesday: Hot Yoga or short run
    Friday/Sunday: long run
    Saturday: I signed my son up for a parent/tot swim class. It's fun for him and I'm sure I'm logging some calories walking back and forth while carrying him in the pool.

If early mornings or after work workouts are not viable, try bringing good walking/running shoes so you can log 1-3 miles during your lunch break. Weather-permitting, of course.

I also like signing up for charity bike rides like Tour de Cure or Meals on Wheels. I put my son in his Burley bike trailer and we ride 10-15 miles. He loves the speed and I get a really good workout. A 27 lb. toddler + 25 lb. trailer + my own weight + bike weight on an uphill terrain is always a challenging workout PLUS it's usually for a cause like funding diabetes or ending hunger. Our last ride was a Meals for Wheels ride in Livermore, CA. 15 miles and he kept squealing "Faster, Mommy!" during downhills.

It's a struggle everyday but I know it's worth it.

Good luck as well!
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So many good suggestions here, lots of different ways to make it work, I know you can find something that works for you! When my kids were younger and time was harder to find, what worked for me was thinking about exercise in ten minute increments. For example, I'd get a lot of push-ups, sit-ups, tricep dips, and squats done in one ten minute segment. Then later I'd get my blood pumping for a bit, at least, taking the dog for a brisk ten-minute walk/jog. It wasn't ideal, but it added up and at least helped me maintain some kind of fitness level.
  • jj04
    jj04 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments, ideas, and most importantly support. I appreciate the feedback! I have decided to get back to my T-Th-Sat, and plan life around it like they are appointments. I also am realizing that I need to find my own motivation and inspiration from within. Thanks for your help with starting this process. I have been dealing with being overweight my whole life, you think I'd be sick of it by now and want to try harder to do something about it.
  • matina29
    matina29 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm a busy mom and I find it very difficult. What I do is small increments. 20 minutes or less as often as possible. I use exercisetv (free on my cable provider) and I also dance to music my kids like and do crunches or squats. I am new to this but it feels good!
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I have 7 children. Worked full time for 7 years with them. The youngest are 5, 4, 3,2, 1. So the only time that I can do it is by setting my alarm an hour earlier than I have to get up and getting straight up and hitting the elliptical and then zumba or pilates or something else. Right when I finish I start getting the older kids up for school. It sucks getting up early but it it the only time I have uninterruped to myself.