severe stomach cramps while running

Options
2»

Replies

• clairhugs
    Options
    I suffer from exactly the same complaint. The pain will often come on about 20minutes into a run and once it does it is impossible to continue running. It is so severe I have the sensation of needing to pass a bowel motion. From the research I have done it would seem that this is not uncommon. I have experimented with changing my breathing patterns when running and this has helped in some ways but not always. It is very frustrating as I often find I suffer this pain when I am running good times rather than just a casual run. I often run on an empty stomach preferring to run in the morning before breakfast so i can't contribute this to food. Maybe dehydration although I do hydrate before running. It is very annoying!! I can become quite paranoid about it especially before taking part in any serious running events.
  • janetpickle1
    janetpickle1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm glad the original poster posted this because i have struggled with this problem all my life and always thought it was super weird and only i ever experienced it. It started happening in my early teens. i remember once running really hard with my friend's soccer team and feeling great until about 15 minutes in, i had to go lay down in the field rocking back and forth in the worst kind of pain, much like you describe - like period cramps but much much worst, and very often nausea and a powerful need to move the bowels. it comes in waves of intensity and when the wave is on the backside of the pain it is the greatest feeling of relief, until it comes back. I am now in my 30's and it still happens to me - it happened to me just tonight! But i am very out of shape right now. I started running more seriously over a year ago (then quit) and the stomach hurricane came every time in the first ten runs or so, pretty much consistently within fifteen minutes. but i was determined to beat it so i would just run near my house until the aches came, then go inside and get over it and then start my run again and i would almost always be totally fine once i got the stomach ache out of the way. eventually, i stopped getting them. so it seemed like the stronger my body was, the less likely it was that it would happen (i was combining running with resistance training, too). i also became much more conscientious about consistency with diet so that my bowel movements occurred at the same time every day and if i was sufficiently emptied, the aches wouldn't happen. being hydrated is key, and being warmed up is key, as well. but i see from others' posts that paying attention to breathing would be helpful as well. i just wanted to post to keep you encouraged and so you know you are not alone!
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Running and me have had our issues. I've experienced cramps like you mention. I've had pains from my toes all they way up. I even had hematuria once after a really long strenuous run where I pushed myself too hard while probably being dehydrated. In order for it to be perfect you have to train your mind, heart, and body to all function optimally as one. If one of those isn't ready your gonna have a problem in some form or another. I find the best approach is to push yourself but don't over do it. Certainly don't give up…just slow it down. A couple things that helped me. Don't eat anything big before a run. But on the other side don't run on an empty stomach. Don't pee within 45 minutes before a run. You don't want to run on an empty bladder. If you're running for over 45 minutes you need to find a way to rehydrate. If you're running for over 60 minutes you should consider adding some fuel/food/drink to your run. Listen to your body, all three factors: Mind, Heart, and Body. The expression "Rome wasn't built in a day" comes to mind. Enjoy the journey and realize you may not reach your running goals overnight. Good luck!
  • korencarpenter
    korencarpenter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    While I rarely get a side stitch I've had my fair share, what works for my is to breath into the location with intention. also breathing rhythm will help. you can start out breathing in for four counts out for four, or two if your heart rate is increased. I think it's the same as breathing out on the left foot strike, that too is about rhythm. Or you can stub your toe on something and that will surely take the stitch away! whatever you do don't stop running, all these little aches and pains do go away, it may take years but they will eventually subside.
  • lkobrien10
    Options
    Hi I just read your post from about a year or two ago and I am having the exact same problem! I run about a mile and a half and then get such severe pains I have to sit down somewhere in private because I'm doubled over in pain. However after about ten minutes they're gone and I can keep running and continuing my workout without them coming back. Did you ever figure out what was wrong or how to fix them? Because I went and saw my doctor and she has pretty much no idea what to do, any advice? Thanks!!
  • SusiQMcHugh
    SusiQMcHugh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stitches from incorrect breathing or cramping muscles generally occur higher up than the woman describes - I would recommend going to a gynecologist and/or a gastroenterologist. This could be an ovarian cyst that gets aggravated with the motion. You could aggravate an existing intestinal or gynecological problem. Ovarian cysts are benign but believe me, they can cause a lot of pain!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/427855-pain-in-the-ovaries-after-running/

While running and meeting your goal is important, it will happen eventually and you shouldn't put your health at risk.

Good luck and God bless!
  • bpsoftballchic
    Options
    I've been having the same problem! It never happened when i was younger, but a year or two ago I started jogging and the first time it happened I was in a lot of pain. It felt just like period cramps, except ten times worse. It only seemed to happen when I was PMSing in the beginning. But over time it became more and more frequent, eventually I just stopped running. Recently I signed up for a 5k so I've started running again, and every single time at the same point I get these cramps. I've tried to just push through it but they only get worse. If I stop for about 5 minutes it slowly goes away and I'm able to get back to my workout. My first thought was dehydration and eating habits too, but I've tried drinking more, eating closer to or farther before running, I've tried eating different foods, nothing seems to make a difference :frown: I play softball and I've never had a problem when we did sprints so it seems to only be long distance (I'm not much of a runner so long distance for me is a mile:wink: ) This problem is becoming more and more frustrating because I'd be able to push much farther if I didn't have to stop for the abdominal pain, and its really slowing down my progress. If anyone could give me some insight on what might be causing this pain I'd really appreciate it!
  • bpsoftballchic
    Options
    I just saw your comment and I've been having a very similar problem to the one the original post descried. My sister had multiple ovarian cysts that she eventually had to get surgically removed, thankfully they were benign. The doctors said there was a chance I could have the same problem. I had an ultra sound a few years ago which came up clean, but they said many times they don't develop until your late teens, early 20s. Could it be possible that ovarian cysts could be causing my pain during running even if I don't have symptoms any other time?
  • fitnessfoodtravel
    fitnessfoodtravel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I had it happen this morning after a cardio workout. At this point in my cycle, I am 1 week after my period ended and it seems to be worse the first 1-2 days of my period. I have had ovarian cysts and currently am following up with my Dr about endemetriosis. My worst episode last 1.5 hours, with the cramps following a rhythm of 10 intense seconds of pain then nothing, etc. I even got chills and intense sweating. My husband wanted to take me to a clinic but I couldn't move...
    I kinda find it funny that some of the guys were saying they had this exactly too, since you said it felt like your period. LOL. Nice to see the support though...
    I'll keep checking this thread and hope to see others share their experiences and updates.
  • AngerPancake
    Options
    This has happened to me the last 3 workouts. I described it as menstrual cramps, but worse. I was sure I was dying. It mekes me dread working out. I will try concentrating on my breathing.
  • Bertymcbertface1
    Options
    I've experienced this for many years, each time I've attempted running for fitness. It got to the point in my early 30's that I decided running wasn't for me. I would get 15-20 minutes into a run and suddenly the dreaded acute period pain type cramps would come on in my lower abdomen. I'd have to stop as the waves of pain hit, sweating, pale and trembling all over. I've staggered home before now, been sick and then had the urge to go for a poo (a little like you do when you have severe stomach cramps). After lying down and taking paracetamol the pain passes. I've been to my GP, asked fitness experts and no one seems to know. Earlier this year I signed up for a triathlon. My biggest worry has been the run. I trained for 4 weeks and then started the couch to 5k app. I've built up very slowly and have found the following:

1. Run early if possible - On getting up, drink half a small bottle of water and eat an apple, then run 20 minutes later. No pains.
    2. If within a week of my period , I take 2 paracetamol before running. No pains.
    3. I eat a light meal the night before running, no later than 6pm.
    4. I ensure I've had a bowel movement before I run.
    5. Starting my training with run walk run has been brilliant, can't recommend highly enough. I can comfortably run 5k now and have experienced NO PAIN for 12 weeks.
    6. Running pace makes a difference - run steady and focus on breathing.

My triathlon is on Sunday. Today I got up and went for a run. I'd changed my routine. I'd eaten fish and chips last night at 8.30pm. I had a banana before my run. I had taken paracetamol as I'm due on (the day of my event!!). I was running with a slightly faster friend so was above my natural pace. Within 1 mile my cramps started. 5 minutes later I had to stop running. I slowed right down, took deep breaths and they passed within a couple of minutes. If I'd not taken the painkillers I'd have been on the floor, but they took the edge off.

My belief is that this is a bowel issue, exacerbated by hormonal/physical changes linked to menstruation. Hope my experiences can help others :)
  • queenr_7
    Options
    The same thing has been happening to me lately. This is the second year I have run cross country with my school, though I did not run at all over the summer. We run 6 days a week for approximately 35 minutes. I am almost caught up, but lately I've been experiencing severe pain in my lower stomach area. I thought it was just cramps but I've never had cramps this bad. About 10 minutes into the run, I will notice it start to hurt, and within minutes I am unable to run at all, much less walk. To make it go away I'll have to lay down and press on my stomach for up to five minutes (I actually did this in the middle of a trail run on Monday. It was humiliating). Then after the five minutes, I'm perfectly fine, and am able to run like nothing happened. I'm terrified that this will happen during a race, so if anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know. Thanks!!