planet fitness????

Options
Well I heard its not the best gym in the world but 5 minutes away from home and its cheap. Im 330lbs +-
Were should I start? I want to get stronger and slimmer. Ive been getting on treadmill at home but I just need to leave the house.

Replies

• pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    *Disclaimer* I've never been to Planet Fitness because there are none near me.

Evidently the people who hate it are the people who are really serious fitness buffs who want to lift heavy weights and whatnot. Supposedly it's fine for beginners who want to go burn some calories, try out different cardio machines, lift weights (but not extremely heavy ones). Bottom line if you're not specifically looking for a weight lifting gym it would probably be fine for you. Plus I heard it's really cheap so if it isn't for you it's not a big loss.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Go take a tour. I walked in and asked for one and they had no problem with it. They said most of their clients are first time gym members. Didn't have a huge section of free weights but did have different weight machines along with all the cardio stuff and a 30 minute circuit area, ab area, etc. you can look up deals on their website. (Still haven't joined, it's on the other side of town)
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Oh, and they kick you out if you make too much loud grunting noises or wear "inappropriate clothing"
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you're only looking to use cardio machines and get started on weights, it is fine.

If you want to get into serious weight training, body building, or throwing tires around, go elsewhere.
  • ashleyscript
    ashleyscript Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a member at my local Planet Fitness. :) I love it because it's so affordable and they've created an encouraging atmosphere that isn't the least bit intimidating. On Friday I met with the fitness instructor on staff and he worked with me to create a personalized workout plan -- at $10 a month, I can't help feeling like I, as a first-time gym member, am getting a great deal! :)
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a cheap place to get in shape without worrying about people judging you because literally every body type I've seen there. You should definitely join. There are about 90 cardio machines and tons of strength training equipment. Basically a whole half of the gym is filled with really muscular men so I don't know why people act like you can't get strong there. You can. Just don't be too obnoxious or loud about it and there are no problems.
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    All of the above. People who are more focused on lifting won't like PF as much, most likely, because their free weights don't go up very high (this may not be true at all PF locations, but it is true of the one in my town and several others). However, if you're looking for a place to go to get plenty of cardio and start learning weight machines, PF is a great start. Later on, if you take an interest in lifting (which I highly recommend), you can always break up with PF and join a gym with more variety in the weight area. PF has no commitments at most locations when you join. :)

Best of luck to you!
  • mattketring
    Options
    It's a great starter gym. If you're super serious about free weights and squat racks, maybe not so much. But the atmosphere is encouraging to fellow fatties. I like my membership.
  • ashleyscript
    ashleyscript Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For the record, I've never witnessed anyone get booted because of the discouraged behaviors (the aforementioned grunting, etc.). But I've also never encountered those behaviors, likely because they do such a good job obstructing them.
  • Americannabis
    Options
    Contrary to what others may say, I think it's a good place to start (especially since it's cheap) if your focus isn't lifting and making MaD gAiNz just yet. However, if that will be a priority in the near future, I'd look elsewhere unless you're okay with having to pay a fee to break contract (or pay two memberships). Their policies may suck, but eh.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Your account is quite old and you have not achieved your goal. My advice is to think about what triggered failure the other times and focus on consistency this time. That's where I think you should start. Good luck.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great place for a beginner. If it's in your budget, close by and appeals to you, sign up!

As others have pointed out, if you get serious about weight training you will have to find another gym because most do not accommodate people who are truly serious about strength training.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was a member of one for a bit, but since I can squat my body weight, and bench half of it, they stopped meeting my needs.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Planet Fitness & have been a member over a year..... I got thinner when I joined that gym & that is what I wanted.......
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a cheap place to get in shape without worrying about people judging you because literally every body type I've seen there.
    Unless you get too successful, and then they judge the crap out of you and call you a lunk.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a cheap place to get in shape without worrying about people judging you because literally every body type I've seen there.
    Unless you get too successful, and then they judge the crap out of you and call you a lunk.

That's never happened at my planet fitness. There's tons of fit and built people and I've never heard anyone bash them.
  • driftfx1
    Options
    Yq I took the tour. And yea my goals need to be strict I tend to fall off. Im still been maintaining weight though. Ive been trying to keep my calories close but tat doesnt work. Ill keep at it though well see were this goes.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness specifically prohibits you from doing the exercises that are most effective for fat loss. Keep that in mind.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care for the concept or their commercials, but if you aren't planning to squat or dead lift and are just getting into a gym for the first time then it's hard to beat their pricing.
  • Jjensen627
    Options
    I've been a member for 4 years and I love it!! I imagine they're all different. But it's a great deal with great people. You just don't get classes. But the trainers are always there to help.