Over...weighing?

Options
So.... I weigh my self every single day...

at least 6 times.

I'm so obsessed with this stupid numbers game in my mind that I find it hard to do the healthy thing and only weigh myself once or twice a week.

Every time I go to the bathroom, every time I eat, Every time I workout.... I hop on the scale and it needs to stop.

Once I had my husband hide the scale from me... yeah that only lasted all of 4 days before I hunted for it (we live in a small apartment so it wasnt hard to find...)

So here is my question for those who've gone through this:
What are your suggestions for scale self-control. I can't just stop weighing myself completely, because it is a really good measure of progress for me. But I do want to hop on it less for sure.
But what are some methods of... feeling successful without seeing the numbers? (im a measuring tape freak too) Or, helping me not feel the need to have my feet permanately imprinted on that piece of plastic and glass?

I want to feel like I look my best without having to see a 3 digit number.

Help please!

Replies

• BWSydney
    Options
    And I thought I weighed myself a lot! I weigh myself once a day in the morning after I go pee. I don't weigh myself other times because I know the weight change is mostly due to food/water, etc.

I was told to try to weigh in only about 1x per week. I personally couldn't imagine that but maybe you can try cutting it down. Instead of 6 times/day weigh yourself 4x per day at certain times and gradually cut down to something that you feel is more manageable?
    Good luck! :)
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I cant lie that I enjoy seeing the number on the scale too! I started out weighing weekly... but after a month or so I switched to monthly. I feel that I will push myself harder, and allow less "treats" if I dont weigh in so often. I found when I was weighing in weekly if I had a good weigh in than that weekend/week I would allow myself _____ or _______ because I deserved it since I lost ___lbs. For me its just more motivation - plus in a month of being good and working out most likely you will see a loss and probably a larger number than weekly.

This is just my perspective on it - but it works for me :)
  • lahard0
    lahard0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's tough! I weight myself every morning after my shower-- That being said, I also weigh myself after my daily workout (ONLY if I workout in the morning...this is strictly to see how much water I sweated out, lol).....

I used to be more of a fanatic about it but realized it only depressed me. Now, I do not EVER weigh myself before bed, and NEVER when I eat a big meal or am feeling bloated. I wait until the morning when I feel more normal and then weigh myself as usual. If I am a pound up from day to day I just take it easy with the eating and tend to be back to normal the next day. If I know I have a big meal coming up, i workout super hard for 3-4 days so that I wont feel as guilty on the BIG DAY. I will not weigh myself the morning after the BIG DAY- I try to wait for at least 2 days when I am sure that everything has been digested and eliminated.

Its very hard not to over do it, especially after you have seen significant progress and become afraid of slipping backwards. Just remind yourself that you have come so far and that you aren't going to gain any REAL weight from one meal to the next....just water and undigested food. Try to find a distraction if you feel like jumping on the scale and just remind yourself that you can weigh yourself in the morning when you are your emptiest! Hope this helps!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If you wait longer, you'll see a bigger loss. That's how I look at it. Gotta have self control. It was hard for me at first, but now I only do it once a week, and it gives me something to look forward to.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day too. I dont see a problem with it.

I dont really see the point in weighing more than once a day, as it mostly goes up!! How do you cope with that?? Does it stop you eating??

You're in control hun, if its bothering you, then dont do it?? If it's what you need to do, then dont worry about it. I dont think there are any rules apart from your own and perhaps your husbands if you're getting on his nerves....:laugh: :bigsmile:

All the best :flowerforyou:
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have two scales. I think we both weigh just about every day! For my point of reference, I weight myself in the morning after I empty my bladder. If I appear to lose a pound, I won't document it until it is the same 2-3 days in a row. Same way if I gain a pound. This is for consistency.

Take in consideration the salty food you ate night before and the monthly bloat (sorry guys had to throw that in.) I been doing this for a long time so I don't get frustrated or too excited one way or another. It all balances out over time.
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you will work yourself into a tizzy if you weigh yourself every or several times a day with the weight fluctuation

my suggestion... once a week same day, first thing in the morning after a long pee... naked if your adventurous ;)
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    There is one solution you could try....but you aren't going to like it. Get rid of the scale. Literally throw it out. That way, the only place you can weigh yourself is at the gym or maybe if you go to a weight loss meeting like I do. It's like going cold turkey from other obsessions, for some people it works.
  • MelindaBevan
    Options
    I completely understand. I love seeing the numbers. I weigh myself every morning and evening. I only write down my official weight and measurements once a month. It's great to see that even if I have some ups and downs that month to month real changes are happening. I would suggest putting the scale in a difficult to reach place. I live in a small apartment too. You could put the scale maybe far under your bed or on a high shelf so that it takes more effort to get to and you have to think longer before pulling it out and getting on it. Like the above post said, there is a lot of variation throughout the day from the the food and water you take in and from sweating from exercise as well as the clothes you wear for the day, so it really isn't an accurate measurement of progress. GOOD LUCK!
  • SafariLara
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the great ideas!
    I was mildly exaggerating how much I weigh myself a day but not by much (still between 2-6 times a day)
    I actually love the idea of getting rid of the scale. I think I would feel so much less stressed about numbers if I didnt focus on that.
    I also like the waiting longer to see higher results idea!
    Haha now just gotta decide on a game plan :)
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    When I first got a scale I weighed myself all the time. I think it's interesting to see how my weight fluctuates throughout the day and it doesn't bother me because I understand it's water weight, food, etc. The only number I pay any real attention to is in the morning, after I've been to the bathroom, and even then only if I see a similar number for a few days in a row.