Metamucil - worth getting?

Options
Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone recommends metamucil? I was thinking it might help up my fibre intake and clean me out a bit but don't want to bother if its just another fad thing that doesn't actually do anything....

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I know it works for people who don't eat fiber.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I took it for a few months, but it really did nothing for me at all. I switched to a pill and I find it works better.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I prefer Benefiber. But that's just me.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's not really a fad, it's just fiber. It's good if you can't get enough fiber through your regular diet.

Alternately you could eat more whole grains, whole fruit and vegetables, beans (lentils are a particularly good source), ground flax seed, etc.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree with it being 'just fiber'. If you're low on fiber and want to boost it with virtually no calories, Metamucil might help you. If you like to save a little money and don't need the flavorings, buy plain psyllium husk. It's the fiber in Metamucil. It's just plant fiber.

Interesting asides-

The South Beach Diet author said drinking it 30 minutes (I think) before meals slows digestion and keeps blood sugar more level.

Also, WW changed the points formula years ago to cap the negative effect of fiber on points at 4g because savvy WWers would put Metamucil on their pizza and such, to up the fiber and lower the points values.
  • sebkiwinaspensmama
    sebkiwinaspensmama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tried it. Worst stomach cramps ever! Couldn't sleep all night and it made me sick all the next day. Though it could have just been me. Thought I'd try it again a year later, and same result. Not for me. I'll eat foods with fiber over that any day!
  • Soritaia
    Soritaia Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you do end up deciding to take it please be very careful. If you don't take enough water with it it can cause pretty bad bowel obstructions. I think it suggests 1 8oz glass with it and at least 6-8 more glasses during the day.

I dont remember all the details and dont feel like going into all my nursing notes but it is one of the common laxatives i was taught to ask about during an abdominal assessment.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    buy a cheaper store brand version of it. less goopy (usually) and far less expensive.

it's worthwhile if you are not reaching your fiber goal through foods. try to get more than 20 grams of fiber per day.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    If you do end up deciding to take it please be very careful. If you don't take enough water with it it can cause pretty bad bowel obstructions. I think it suggests 1 8oz glass with it and at least 6-8 more glasses during the day.

I dont remember all the details and dont feel like going into all my nursing notes but it is one of the common laxatives i was taught to ask about during an abdominal assessment.
    One dose has the fiber of one banana, less than an apple. The instructions are to take it with 8oz. of fluid so you don't choke on it.

"NOTICE: Mix this product with at least 8 oz (a full glass) of liquid. Taking without enough liquid may cause choking. Do not take if you have difficulty swallowing."

Though I guess a nurse would have to be aware of the possibility of someone taking like 5-10 doses a day or something.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble meeting your fiber goal, then it may be worth it to keep yourself regular.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Fiber is largely overrated, especially as a way to battle constipation.

Eat plenty of fat and plenty of veggies and don't worry much about fiber.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Ya know, I had wondered. Because I rarely meet my fiber goal, yet never have had constipation.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you need fibre it's ok, but I prefer Benefibre, as it disolves into liquids (or can be stirred into food), whereas Metamucil is a "drink" and I don't like the texture or the taste.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Change your macro settings.
    Start tracking fiber.

And stop tracking sugar, if you don't have a medical condition such as being a diabetic.

Be aware of the fiber you eat, and make healthy food choices.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I prefer Benefiber, cause it's tasteless. Also there is a sweet spot for fiber, too little and you have digestive issues and too much and you have digestive issues.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    I use a similar product because I need Extra fiber because of some meds that I take. Works fine if you need it !
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

What is it in veggies that helps, if not the fiber?
  • arj632014
    Options
    Thanks everyone - some really good advice! Might try up my fibre with food and if I'm still having troubles give it a go :)
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone recommends metamucil? I was thinking it might help up my fibre intake and clean me out a bit but don't want to bother if its just another fad thing that doesn't actually do anything....

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

If you are having issues, try taking some magnesium. My doctor recommended it for me and it has helped greatly.
  • annacopeland98
    annacopeland98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been having constipation problems since I gave birth, and my doctor recommended Metamucil twice a day. It helps to keep me regular, and it also keeps me full.