Exercise

Options
If I haven't exercised in like over a month and I return to exercising back to high intensity, will I gain weight more than 5 pounds? It seems like it because I am between the range of 160-165 when I used to be around 156-160 range, I don't think I gained 4 pounds... It's been going on for like 2-3 weeks now I don't know how long this lasts... I haven't changed my eating I am eating relatively the same with the occasional binge (not as much as I used to, hopefully). I want to get back to the 156-160 range... I just don't know what's going on.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    It is possible that your muscles are retaining water while they get over the shock of your getting back into working out.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    A few pounds of water is quite possible with weight training.

Warning-The "occasional binge" will put weight back on you if you don't counter it. If my weight starts creeping up I have a couple of diet days before it gets out of hand.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your food to accurately compare any changes in consumption?

If it truly is the same, unexplained weight gain could be due to meds or a change in medical condition/ development if new condition,
  • saab002
    saab002 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am doing cardio, I have been running around 4+ miles a day, these last 2 days have been 5+ miles. This is getting annoying and I don't know what to do...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So you went from a good chunk of time of not doing cardio, to do a bunch every day.

And the type of cardio asking the body to improve by adding more glucose to fuel those runs. Along with fat, well, actually, don't know how intense you are making it - but more intense then more carbs burned.

Glucose stores with water, required. To the tune of 500 calories of carbs stored will weigh 1 lb. That's in your muscles, legs, and they should look bigger too after eating enough carbs, and look smaller after a run.

You are asking for more blood flow now too, perhaps sweating more also. Now what does the body do? Increase blood volume. With guess what.

So you are correct, this is not fat, mainly water weight.

But if you want to do these kinds of workout, and actually want them to be meaningful, suck it up, the water that is, because this is the effect you are asking your body to do.
  • crystalhoneycutt
    crystalhoneycutt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    holding in water retention is normal when beginning or coming back to a routine especially if lifting is involved.
  • saab002
    Options
    I run over 5 miles a day most days, I try too and play basketball afterwards. Does the water retention from returning to exercise last long? I guess my body looks the same, don't think I gained fat.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Warning-The "occasional binge" will put weight back on you if you don't counter it. If my weight starts creeping up I have a couple of diet days before it gets out of hand.
    ^^^This. Your diary's locked. Are you logging everything you eat accurately & honestly? If necessary, eat back half your exercise calories.

Weight fluctuates day to day & throughout the day, but it will take periodic adjustments to find the number of calories at which your weight stabilizes.
  • saab002
    Options
    Yes, I'd say I have the same routine of eating everyday.