Spinach...lots of spinach

Options

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    sauté it with EVOO and some slivered garlic. Yum!
  • Christine_120
    Options
    I add it to everything. Pasta sauce, soups, scrambled eggs, sautéed mushrooms over chicken. Pretty much anything.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like this = I make it with escarole, kale and spinach.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/rotini-white-beans-escarole-50400000115201/
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Trash can!

Sorry - too much spinach and I just wanna gag
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Spinach is awesome. Too much spinach is not awesome. I sometimes get carried away at the warehouse stores and end up with too much of the dark green stuff. So I freeze it. In ziploc bags. And then it's there waiting for me to use in cooking later on when my family has forgotten that they don't like spinach.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You know who loves spinach?... My garbage can.. bleh the ONLY way I would eat that is MAYBE deep fried in bacon grease... MAYBE!!

I envy you for enjoying it enough to humor the idea of buying a giant bag lol, Goodluck!!!
  • Sullivanwilson
    Sullivanwilson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Seriously delicious soup recipes -thank you.
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love my spinach sauteed in bacon grease. True story.

ETA: cooked just right, it's light and crispy. Too short and it's just wilted and mushy...and too long and it's burnt. There's a magical few seconds where it's just right...and then it's almost as delicious as bacon.

As for lower cal ways to eat it, it's delicious in a salad w/ other veggies drizzled in good olive oil and balsamic vinegar...with grated parmesan cheese.

I need to learn your voodoo! I seem to always skip straight to mushville population 2: me and sadness.
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Spinach is awesome. Too much spinach is not awesome. I sometimes get carried away at the warehouse stores and end up with too much of the dark green stuff. So I freeze it. In ziploc bags. And then it's there waiting for me to use in cooking later on when my family has forgotten that they don't like spinach.

Why didn't I think of that? There are some seriously awesome recipes and ideas in this thread, but if it comes down to it I may have to bag it and freeze it so as not to be wasteful. Thanks!
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I like spinach in scrambled eggs - but I've not made it with fresh spinach; if you cook it first be sure to drain any excess moisture before putting in eggs to scramble.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    How much spinach are we talking about?

When you throw it in a pan it wilts down.... a lot.

Try this: Spinach, chopped garlic, olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon. Saute in a pan until the garlic is cooked and the spinach is wilted.

This is the best ideal to use up most the spinach. You can eat it for lunch the next and dinner and its yummy!

And add it to smoothies, eggs, soups, just about anything.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I love my spinach sauteed in bacon grease. True story.

ETA: cooked just right, it's light and crispy. Too short and it's just wilted and mushy...and too long and it's burnt. There's a magical few seconds where it's just right...and then it's almost as delicious as bacon.

As for lower cal ways to eat it, it's delicious in a salad w/ other veggies drizzled in good olive oil and balsamic vinegar...with grated parmesan cheese.

I need to learn your voodoo! I seem to always skip straight to mushville population 2: me and sadness.

I cook my spinach like I cook my bacon. Some people throw it all in the skillet and stir it around until it is all cooked...ish. I lay mine out in a single layer and flip each individual piece as needed. Same for the spinach. A single layer ensures even cooking. Yeah, it's a huge PITA and my family eats it as fast as I can make it, but when you've had a perfectly crispy piece, you'll never try to shortcut it again.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I love this weight watchers recipe for a Senegalese vegetable stew made with peanut butter--and 8 cups of fresh spinach! (though it doesn't seem like nearly that much cooked into the stew with the other veggies.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=190441

I add a little more bell pepper and carrot than the recipe says, and reduce the amount of chicken broth to just cover the veggies, so it comes out with a thick, vevety, peanutty "gravy." Terrific WW recipe.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    another favorite: turkish lamb stew. saute a big onion and a few garlic cloves. add a couple of teaspoons each of cumin and smoked paprika. brown the lamb in there, when thoroughly browned, add a ;large can of crushed or diced tomatoes, one or two 14-ounce cans of garbanzo beans and four cups of raw spinach. simmer, check spices, see if it needs some seasoning. My family is crazy about this.

I serve it over basmati rice that I've mixed a bit of garam masala into...just a half teaspoon for like 3 cups of rice--and a handful of pistachio nuts.

But for the adults, I often steam and mash cauliflower, add the same garam masala and pistachios, and serve the stew over that. tastes wonderful and I save a lot of calories by having cauliflower instead of rice.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    We have an enormous haul of spinach in our garden, and my mum makes some really delicious crustless quiche/fritata type dishes and uses a tonne of it in one go. No real amounts, because it varies every time we make it (often once a week, so almost all variations are fine-they never fail).
    Wilt down spinach, and sautee some onion (you don't 'have' to sautee it if you don't have time).
    Add to a pyrex baking dish.
    Pour mix of eggs (maybe 4-8) and a dash of milk over the top.
    Grate a little cheese over the whole lot and bake until just cooked through.

Super tasty warm, or cold.

Common add ins include mushrooms, tomato and salmon..
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Boil them, they'll shrink and they'll be gone faster.
  • jd1208
    jd1208 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Spinach and Ricotta Fillo Pie. My Favourite, YUM
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Spinach and ricotta lasagne or if you eat fish spinach and salmon lasagne (with a white sauce) yum yum!!

Oh yeah and omelette, or just mixed with quinoa or just fried with some butter and lots if garlic!
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I won't post all the recipes because they are easy enough to google, but you don't have to eat it raw - cook it and enjoy it!

Saag curry with lamb or paneer cheese

Spinach frittata

Wilted Spinach and mushrooms on toast with poached egg

And for something spicy:
    http://www.noobcook.com/sambal-kangkong/

(Stir fried spinach with chilli and dried shrimp paste)
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Whole meal bread, half an avocado, little bit of goats cheese, stuffed full with spinach... Toasted sandwich FTW.