Still depressed about my body

Options
Even though I have been losing weight, I still feel depressed about my body. I feel like I should be pushing myself harder and more intensely.

Replies

• spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think, if possible, it would be far more constructive to celebrate the achievements you have made versus running yourself through the ol' "should be's" and self-degradation. Twenty-two pounds lost shows that you've made changes, are dedicated and capable. Please try to take those desires to push harder and turn them into positive encouragement to kick even more *kitten*! Cause that's exactly what you're doing.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No matter what, there will always be something you can find to hate about yourself/somebody else/your situation...the trick is to choose to think about what you DO like instead.
  • Stubbornfighter
    Stubbornfighter Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Even people who are at a healthy body weight can feel this. You're making the change and you should view this as health , not vanity and you will feel better thinking "I'm taking care of myself, I'm getting healthier" Good luck and keep trying ^^
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Have you lost 22 pounds since you started in December? That's pretty amazing! That sounds like 3-4 pounds per week, which isn't something you will see long term, but it's quite a start! As you get lower you should expect around 1-2 pounds per week for healthy weight loss. Be patient my friend. Take photos every month or two so you can see how much you change. You'll be inspired when you can look back at where you have come from.
  • mprice548
    mprice548 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to a friend about this, I was depressed by my loss of only three pounds but she told me to keep in mind how long it took me to get as heavy as I am. That really put things into perspective for me. I'm still bummed about those three ponds but that's three ponds out of the way so that's something. Your 22 pounds is amazing to me, congats my friend.
  • rattleh3ad
    Options
    Thanks guys.
  • simplythebaz
    simplythebaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon, not a sprint - got to imagine a YEAR from now at the back of your mind, whilst focusing on the week-by-week improvements you're making.

How long have you lived unhealthily? You can't undo all that in a matter of weeks.

If you're getting bored of the "routine" find a different sort of exercise to do, keep it varied - I started off by just running (short distances!) - once I could run 5k, I had to start doing other things, as I found just running monotonous (although I was very proud I could run 5k!).
  • rattleh3ad
    Options
    Maybe I'll try switching up my routines, that sounds like a good idea.
  • rattleh3ad
    Options
    I guess I should focus on the positives, and I keep telling myself this is not something that will happen overnight, or even in a few months, but I will get there, if I keep pushing myself harder and keep my goals in mind.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You did not gain weight overnight. The potential for losing weight (safely) is less than the potential for gaining it. That being said, avoid extremes. Yes, you can lose weight rapidly but when you do you are losing muscle mass along with the weight loss... You want to lose fat, not weight. You want to become trim and fit, not skinny. Therefore, set your goal and gradually achieve it.. pound by pound. If you lose more than a pound or two per week, you risk losing muscle mass which in turn slows down your body's potential to burn fat (lean body mass aids in fat burning metabolism)... Be patient; I know it can be hard and frustrating but slow and steady and enjoy the journey...
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that as long as you move forward, the size of the step really matters very little because you will get to where you want to be. It's just a matter of time. :smile:

And feel free to add me to your friends list if you like. I try to be as supportive as possible within my schedule.
  • rattleh3ad
    Options
    Thanks again guys, I know it takes time and patience but at times it just gets so damn frustrating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to learn to love yourself regardless of your weight or you will never be happy.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    You need to accept that this is a long-term process and you're making a little progress every day.
  • johnny7625
    Options
    you are doing good buddy don't get frustrated just focus to do a little every day and i know you will get there.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    We're always going to be our own worst enemy. I still have issues, and have another 100 I'd like to lose. It's just a process. I keep telling myself, "I'm not done on this journey yet." I'll visit that when I get there.

Meanwhile, keep plugging at it. You're doing awesome!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Well done for the amazing loss so far!

I think the thing is when you do something like weight loss you scrutinise your body alot more than before you started, so weighing, measuring, taking pictures of yourself partially dressed for future comparison.

When you scrutinise yourself with that much attention you can't see the wood for the trees and forget it's a work in progress and rather than seeing what you've achieved so far compared to your old you, you end up constantly comparing yourself to what you think your ultimate goal is or your peers.

Just stay positive and realise this is a marathon not a sprint, you've got this far and you've done really well!
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Keep pushing my friend, you are doing so well!

1. Pain is part of growing.
    Sometimes life closes doors because it’s time to move forward. And that’s a good thing because we often won’t move unless circumstances force us to

2. Everything in life is temporary.
    Every time it rains, it stops raining. Every time you get hurt, you heal. After darkness there is always light – you are reminded of this every morning, but still you often forget, and instead choose to believe that the night will last forever. It won’t.

3. Worrying and complaining changes nothing.
    Those who complain the most, accomplish the least. It’s always better to attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.

4. Your scars are symbols of your strength.
    Don’t ever be ashamed of the scars life has left you with. A scar means the hurt is over and the wound is closed. It means you conquered the pain, learned a lesson, grew stronger, and moved forward.

5. Every little struggle is a step forward.
    In life, patience is not about waiting; it’s the ability to keep a good attitude while working hard on your dreams, knowing that the work is worth it. So if you’re going to try, put in the time and go all the way.

6. Other people’s negativity is not your problem.
    Be positive when negativity surrounds you. Smile when others try to bring you down. It’s an easy way to maintain your enthusiasm and focus. When other people treat you poorly, keep being you

7. What’s meant to be will eventually, BE.
    True strength comes when you have so much to cry and complain about, but you prefer to smile and appreciate your life instead.

8. The best thing you can do is to keep going.
    Don’t be afraid to get back up. Don’t be afraid to love again. Don’t let the cracks in your heart turn to hardened scar tissue. Find the strength to laugh every day. Find the courage to feel different, yet beautiful. Find it in your heart to make others smile too. Remember that you don’t need many people in your life, just a few great ones
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    There will be ups and downs for the rest of your journey. You are in the right place. Let us know, keep moving forward and try to keep that chin up. We are all proud of you and you will be proud of yourself for continuing on even when you feel less than stellar.

:flowerforyou: Be kind to yourself and keep up the fantastic work!