re: logging exercise / calories burned

Options
Afternoon all...

When logging exercise, I'm concerned about it over-estimating the calories burned for what I am doing. I currently weigh 152lb and although i'm not totally unfit (I exercise regularly but not religiously) earning 152 just walking the dog for 40 mins does seem a lot?

Does anyone know what average weight / fitness level these are worked out at roughly?

I could work it out exactly using other methods I know but I like the easiness of just typing the exercise and time taken in, if i knew that maybe for my size just take 50 cals off the amount earned or something that would be better lol...

Replies

• sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you exactly what the calorie burn for walking your dog for 40 minutes is, but I know that MFP sometimes over-estimates the calorie burn on some exercises. My advice: only eat back about half of the calories that MFP says you burned. This way, you might end up at a larger deficit that what you would ideally want, but you won't over-eat either. Best of luck to you!
    P.S. You could always invest in a heart rate monitor! Thats my next treat to myself when I get back to the states. That way you can just log your calories burned via HRM, instead of trusting MFP
    (:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn is always going to be an estimate (even if you're using a good HRM). There are so many variables (body mass, movement efficiency, fitness level, topography, altitude, etc.).

Don't get all messed up with the math. Instead, log a reasonable amount and after a few weeks, monitor your progress (weight, measurements, and/or body fat percentage). If you're seeing good results then keep keeping on. If your numbers aren't coming down as much as you thought they should, use a more conservative number for calorie burn going forward.
  • gemtayls
    gemtayls Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Makes sense..!!! Yeah, i'll do that guys :)
  • JustineV88
    Options
    That calorie burn sounds pretty reasonable actually for 40 mins walking. I use my Garmin GPS/HRM to track my exercise calories and I have found that the values on most activities on MFP are not far out and often slightly underestimate the calorie burn for me.

If you want to be more accurate get yourself a HRM and see for yourself :)
  • gemtayls
    gemtayls Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well funnily enough when using an online calculator where you enter weight / height / age etc. to work out say spinning (45 high intensity I think I entered for that) it is coming out at way more than fitness pal allows so maybe it is more realistic than I thought. I am still reluctant to eat them all for now though so will see how the weight loss goes by eating maybe half or 2/3 of what I earn exercising. Thanks for the advice! :)