NSV: Ice Skating!

Options
Today I went ice skating for the first time in 20+ years! I didn't plan on it, but I was downtown Chicago at the Art Institute and when I stopped at Millenium Park to watch the skaters, I thought why not?

It was awesome. I figured I would cling to the wall, and if that was all I could do then no big deal. But after a few minutes of that, I was totally fine, and skated for about 45 minutes.

This is a major victory because a year ago I wouldn't have even tried. I would have had just enough energy for the museum (if that). I would have been embarrassed to try and afraid I wouldn't be able to get up if I fell. I wouldn't have trusted myself. But after a year of walking, then running, then weight-lifting, I'm happy to try new (old) things. Now I figure that the worst thing that can happen is I fail, and I have a new benchmark to test myself against.

Replies

• GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    awesome nsv!!!
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wonderful nsv!
  • martymid
    martymid Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My daughter roller skates twice a week. So many times she asks me to when I will skate. I told her I need to lose a lot more weight before I even think about it. So I understand your victory very well.
    Congratulations.
    Congratulations.
    Congratulations.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! That's an awesome NSV!

I went ice skating in August this year...would have actually stayed on the ice more than one lap of using crates to keep my balance but my daughter fell so we skated out together...very carefully...LOL It was a birthday party for my oldest daughter and I had to keep busy anyway..but I definitely plan to get my booty back out there to the ice rink! :)
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!:smile:
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Great!!
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! :bigsmile:

Something I look forward to as well! I haven't skated since I was a teenager :noway:
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
    I ice skate 3 or 4 times a week. It is my main exercise. Never do it but love skating outside. Lucky you.
  • nikkirec
    nikkirec Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic NSV!!!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm buying new skates today. Reebok BOAs on sale. Woot!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!