vacation weight gain!

Options
So I am about to go on vacation to the UK this weekend and am worried about the fact that I will be away from my routine, in and out of airports and having prolong periods on travel where working out won't be possible.

Any tips about how to avoid the belly bulge while on the open road and air?

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Stay out of pubs lol

Oh, and bring a brolly, it's raining like h*** here.
  • LCgymnast
    LCgymnast Posts: 258
    Options
    Having constant water with you is great. It'll keep the belly full more so you won't eat those not so good choice foods. Where are you guys staying? If a track is near by then try to get in a walk every morning before your day begins. Starting off the day right, helps me stay more conscious with other choices throughout the day. Good Luck!!
  • kornaco
    kornaco Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's a vacation--don't worry, enjoy it! :smile:
  • wannehunter85
    Options
    I am staying with friends and traveling around in smaller towns.....so not sure they have a track, but maybe a park. :D
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's vacation, enjoy it.

You can still enjoy your vacation without stressing out about your food intake. Just eat mindfully and moderately. If you go over your estimated calories, don't stress out about it. Do some walking or sightseeing, that will help offset a few of the calories you eat. When you get back, if the scale is up, just remember it's likely water retention from the extra sodium in restaurant foods and such.

To be honest, I went to Florida/Disney the first 9 days of December. I ate out 90% of the time while I was there. I still logged everything I ate, in as close approximation and guessing as I could. I was over my calories on most days. I did alot of walking around the theme parks, and was helping unpack SIL's new apartment. I came back 1.8 lbs lighter.

Don't stress about it and enjoy your holiday. Get back to the nitty gritty when you return.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Isn't it more important to enjoy your vacation? Live a little!!

Here's some hints:
    Toad in the Hole doesn't contain any toads.
    Bubble & Squeak doesn't squeak or bubble.
    Cottage Pie doesn't contain any cottages
    Shepherd's Pie isn't made from shepherds.
    Skate is a fish and not something you put on your feet.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Isn't it more important to enjoy your vacation? Live a little!!

Here's some hints:
    Toad in the Hole doesn't contain any toads.
    Bubble & Squeak doesn't squeak or bubble.
    Cottage Pie doesn't contain any cottages
    Shepherd's Pie isn't made from shepherds.
    Skate is a fish and not something you put on your feet.

^^ like this :-D
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about it, enjoy your vacation.

If you are concerned about bingeing just try and aim for your calorie intake to be level, as in no calorie deficit or surplus, im sure you can have a good time like that :)

If you go sightseeing and be moderately active along the day your calorie needs will be probably higher anyways.
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am staying with friends and traveling around in smaller towns.....so not sure they have a track, but maybe a park. :D

Sightseeing usually involves lots of walking. You'll be fine, just enjoy the holiday!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it! A week isn't going to do ANYTHING in the long term.

I just returned from a week long vacation where I ate with total abandon and didn't gain a thing. Back at it when you return!
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    I was on a cruise in November and was also worried about this. But I enjoyed myself and did some exercising and came back lighter. I think it was because I could relax and wasn't stressed out. I would try to make smart decisions while you are away and do what you can. I'm sure you will be more active then when at home. I know I always walk a lot more on vacation cause I'm all over seeing things. Try to stay away from the sweets. Airport food doesn't have to be totally unhealthy. In the US most airports have some salads or wraps. You probably won't be at or under your calorie goal but it doesn't mean you should just give up and eat everything. Most importatnt though is to enjoy yourself.
  • wannehunter85
    Options
    Thanks, I am going to just relax, but unfortunately I will be flying out of Asia and the food they serve in airports here are astoundingly horrible (in taste, and health)....so I think I will bring snacks for my first flight that I will actually enjoy and not feel guilty over.
  • GBPackerFan14
    GBPackerFan14 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself I went to california to run a marathon and I have eaten w/e I wanted and I am sure to be up a fewp lbs when I return despite this activity but just remember you didn't travel all that way to eat just chicken and broccoli
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself! It looks like you have done a great job losing weight, I don't think any pesky pounds are a match for you!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    *kitten* happens...

Enjoy England as there is MUCH to enjoy there.

Work a little extra hard when you get back.

Fitness is a lifestyle, viewed over long periods of time, NOT a jail cell within which you live....

Have a pint for me!

Best!
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Pret and Eat. have healthy options. And they are everywhere too. :) Good luck!