Fitness Trackers?

Options
Do you use them? Why? Which one? Would you recommend it?

I noticed there are a LOT of fitness trackers out there, (like the fitbug, fitbit, jawbone up etc) and it's become really confusing. Care to share your experiences?

Replies

• moolovesme
    Options
    Bump?
  • janepier
    janepier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally have a fitbit one. I love it. It has a great community and it links well with my fitness. I also have to say their customer service is second to none. I have had mine for a little over a year and a half. My favorite part is the flights of stairs climbed. I love to work on upping my flights. For me it's a little challenging as I only have stairs to enter my house and I work on one level so all the flights I get mean I went out of my way.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The FitBit is awesome! Only gripe I have is that they are so flimsy. I went through three of them already. Debating getting another one. I liked it that you can sync it with your iPhone and easily view your reports on the go. If anything, though, it's like a sup'd up pedometer. You'd have to tweak the stride length to get more accurate results for things like running. I used it with my Garmin GPS watch but relied on the Garmin for more accurate mileage, etc.

I'm not sure about the newer models, but the BodyMedia device was worn on your arm. Not very discrete. More expensive too.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I use the fitbit one tracker for maintenance and I blummin love it!!! Used with MFP I have had no problems with maintaining my weight.

During weight loss, I just used the exercise data on MFP and that worked pretty well.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've found the search function of these forums is pretty awesome. I was looking at fitness trackers last week, I searched through the forums and read several reviews and went with the Fitbit One. I should have it by the end of this week, there are A LOT to choose from, one of my main requirements was that it syncs with MFP. I liked the idea of one that could be worn on the wrist but several people didn't like that you can't look at your progress on those.
  • moolovesme
    Options
    Have you guys been getting good results from using these? I was wondering how accurate they were.
  • naariel
    naariel Posts: 37
    Options
    I tried briefly a wrist tracker (Fitbit Flex, for about a month) and own a clip (Withings Pulse). I find the clip more accurate. With the Flex I had the 10'000 steps a day quite easily. I had about 8'000 steps on a low day, so just had to move a bit more to achieve the 10K. With the clip it went dramatically down. 4'000 is a low day (like, going to campus, walking around for my classes and going home), 8'000 is a good but not very exercise-oriented day (add some groceries to the previous day, for me groceries mean 2x20min walk). 10'000 and more is really when I have no classes and go walking instead.
    I'm a student, so I think the Flex tracked a lot of non-existent steps when I'm writing and just "desk jobing". Maybe it's only the Pulse under-counting my steps, but I think it's likely more the opposite. Also, and that's a personal preference, I don't like to have stuff on my arms and fingers. I have a tiny lady watch and a little bracelet too, never more jewellery than that, and I found the Flex (even if it's quite little) annoying. It's more easy to forget your clip when dressing/undressing, sure, but I feel more free without an additionnal thing on my wrist.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Anything that records distance, pace and calories burned will probably do the job. I used RunKeeper before I bought a Garmin watch. Pretty good.
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here is my take:

If you want to know how many cals you roughly burn all day - Fitbit line
    If you are a runner or stair climber and need GPS/altimiter - Garmin line
    If you want to see how many cal burned during work outs - Polar /w chest strap line

Good luck
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Here is my take:

If you want to know how many cals you roughly burn all day - Fitbit line
    If you are a runner or stair climber and need GPS/altimiter - Garmin line
    If you want to see how many cal burned during work outs - Polar /w chest strap line

Good luck

If you want to know how many calories you burn a day, a BodyMedia armband is the most accurate. It looks at more parameters than any of the other devices.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-57576697-278/the-test-begins-my-life-with-four-activity-trackers-fitness-bands
  • nutti72
    nutti72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit flex for Xmas & love it. With something I had to clip on I was always forgetting to do that, but something I wear is awesome. Tracking my sleep patterns has been fascinating. I wish I had gotten the new force to have a watch, but overall I'm happy with the flex.
  • misko555
    misko555 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you want to know more about fitness trackers you can visit my blog on tracking equipment . I've just recently started it so there are just a few posts, but more are about to come. http://progressgear.com/category/fitness-trackers/
  • misko555
    misko555 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would also reccomend you to buy a Fitbit, they're not really expensive, but give you a lot for that price
  • mndavid
    mndavid Posts: 20
    Options
    Has anyone tried the polar loop? I like that it can tie to an H7.

Getting dizzy looking at all the options.
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and absolutely love it. It provides me the bulk of my motivation. With out it, I wouldn't have discovered this site when I did and probably would be not as far along as I am now in my weight loss.

I was torn between the Flex and the Force and here is how I made my decision:

- the extra $30 for the force was not a factor in my decision process, except for when it comes to replacement (see below)

Flex
    Pros
    1. Replaceable band
    2. Water Resistant

Cons
    1. No stair counter
    2. No digital display

Force
    Pros
    1. Stair counter
    2. Digital display

Cons
    1. Less water resistance
    2. Can't replace band (here is where the cost comes in. Break a flex band and it costs $15 for a new one, break a Force band and you're on the hook to replace the entire unit)

At the end of the day the band being replaceable won out, as I don't really need the stair counter and with the information being immediately available on my droid I don't need the digital display.