Gentle Workouts

I'm looking for ideas of workouts that are more gentle on the body.

I'm currently facing some stomach issues that have already sidelined me out of the gym for the past two weeks (first because I was trying to be smart...now I'm over being smart, but my doctor and my trainer are both telling me to sit out), and I'm not seeing an end in sight yet. It's making me freaking nuts. I need SOME kind of physical activity.

Can anyone give me any ideas of gentle workouts that would be a little easier on my body?

And before you guys tell me to just walk, pleae remember that it's winter and most days are damn cold. lol

Thanks!

Replies

• DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Have you tried looking into yoga, pilates, or similar youtube video workouts?

Pick up a kettlebell or two to keep at home for when you can't go out to do light weight movements?
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    I haven't yet, but now I will! :smile:
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    hula hooping is gentle on joints but burns cals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Have you tried looking into yoga, pilates, or similar youtube video workouts?

Pick up a kettlebell or two to keep at home for when you can't go out to do light weight movements?
    Keep in mind, with Pilates you'd be doing an hour (or however long) of core work. It could be hard on your stomach depending on what's wrong
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Swimming? Water aerobics? Aqua jogging?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    If it's an upset stomach type issue, I wouldn't do yoga/pilates.
    Some of those positions you end up half upside down.

Walk on the treadmill at the gym with a book.
    It what I had to do the last 2 weeks per orders of my PT.

Recumbent bike?

I dont know your issues so this could make it worse but the Nerd Fitness bodyweight circuit?
    Skip jumping jacks if it's an upset stomach issue....
  • I use a mini trampoline in my front room. I just walk on it with my knees high or slightly bounce. I have joint issues and this is very gentle. Hope this helps.

P.S. You may want to try a Probiotic for your stomach issues. Get them at any Health food store.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Stationery cycling offers the least jiggling about of any cardio. Also try Leslie Sansone's "Walk At Home" DVDs - there are a few of her workouts available on YouTube.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    For those that are asking, I'll try to explain in case this helps...

It's not a nausea issue, it's a pain issue. They're running a lot of tests to see what exactly is causing it, but it looks like the most likely culprit is H Pylori (the bacteria that causes ulcers).
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Walking or yoga
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Try Ellen Barrett's workouts (some of these are on OnDemand (free) on Time Warner, via exercise Sportskool. Her workouts are very low impact and she tries to keep your heart rate in a "Fat burning" zone rather than aerobic zone. I like them when I'm sore or just tired and need to do something, but don't want to do something like insanity or JM.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    You can find different workouts of all levels on youtube. Try the Befit channel, or fitnessblender videos.
  • I had a peptic ulcer and I sought help from my nutritionist. He gave my an article from the University of CA that cabbage juice would heal the ulcer. I tried this and I have been ulcer free for years. Just drink one liter cabbage juice a day for a short while and the ulcer goes away. Check with your DR and see what they think. Licorce is a great for acid works as good as tagamet I thought. Good luck.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Leslie Sansone has some great Walk at Home videos available on YouTube. They are pretty easy but you can up the intensity by holding small hand weights or just exaggerating the movements. Hope you feel better soon and take care!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    I am in the same boat. I suffered a compression fracture in my thoracic spine 4 weeks ago, and have been having severe muscle spasms in my lower back. Can anyone point me to some gentle stretching exercises? I don't want to walk, because I am terrified of having another fall. I will check out the videos mentioned above.

Thanks.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Walking. Get some thermal underwear or under armor type stuff and just do it. (not being sarcastic). Yoga maybe just skip poses that cause you discomfort. Handweights and do light weight curls and presses for some upper body work but obviously stop if stomach discomfort.
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Like others have suggested, Leslie Sansone is a great gentle workout. I have joint issues and have no problem doing her videos. I would definitely check her out, and you might even be able to borrow some from your local library. Good luck! :)
  • MissMeliss1130
    MissMeliss1130 Posts: 3 Member
    Recumbant bike is a good suggestion, just don't go too heavy on the resistance. Some quick walking on the treadmill if you can handle that. Try some light yoga, but look for positions that aren't too focused on the stomach area...in fact you may be able to search for some forms of prenatal yoga that may work, such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHFE3huhOQ

My mom has some serious joint issues and does some walking DVDs...I know they get a bad rap on here, but for those with limited mobility, they work! I can't remember the name though...but she seems to be pretty well known.

Good luck hon, know that this is only temporary!!! :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Oh man, I hope you feel better soon! Just an FYI from my own experience: If it is HPylori, and they give the antibiotics, be sure to take a high quality Probiotic from the fridge at the health food store along with it! I had almost a years worth of very bad health issues from IBS from not knowing to do this. It took a good sales person at the health food store to finally fix my issues!

Hope it all works out well for you.

Walking in place with Leslie Sansome (sp) was a great video for me during this time. It seemed to even ease my pain a bit:flowerforyou:
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    pre-natal yoga ... they're specially designed to be easy on the stomach area. you can also try fitness blender on youtube, they have some no-jumping low impact workouts