Zumba? Weight Training? How much?

Options
I love doing Zumba Videos which is my cardio. I'm also aware of the fact that weight training burns calories for a longer time after the workout. How much weight training should I do vs cardio? I'm trying to lose weight (20lbs) especially around my waist and generally tone my body. Any suggestions?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It all depends on what kind of weight lifting routine you want to do and what muscles you work. General guidance is to not work the same muscles 2 days in a row. Since it sounds like you don't really know where to start you should probably get an intro training class at a gym. They should be able to give you a good routine for your experience level and make sure you can do the exercise correctly so you don't hurt yourself.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you're new to weight training, then any weight training is a good start. You will improve quickly, which is always nice.

I would personally be wary of gym instruction, simply because a lot of them are still taught that women should lift baby weights and do lots of reps.

I always point newbies to http://www.stumptuous.com/ or scoobyworkshop.com. You don't need more than that to get started (but start today!).
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I view cardio as an "add on", primarily for fun. I make sure I get in 3 weight sessions a week, and 2 HIIT sessions, then cardio is my fun time on top of that (I LOVE Zumba!)
  • PeaceHappinessBalance
    Options
    The trainer I met with said weights three times a week, cardio five times a week. It probably depends on the person though. Do weights before cardio if you do them on the same day
  • BeverlyHill
    Options
    I do boxing/kick boxing for my cardio 2x week, then running 2-3 times a week with weights. Honestly, it is how you/your body handles the routine.

Start out with something small then build it up to what you enjoy.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba almost every day..only because I loved it and did weights 3-4 days a week.. I alternated days for arms,shoulders and legs,back.

Both did wonders for the 50lbs I lost.
  • Germs29
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion about avoiding the same muscle group two days in a row. I think that may have been the reason for some soreness a few weeks ago.
  • Germs29
    Options
    I am not completely new to weight training but after stopping for 3 years I feel the need to be cautious. I will be checking out that website. Thanks! I think i will try to do two days of weights for now and add another day in 2 weeks or so. My job (teacher) requires a lot of movement especially now that its Sports term. Zumba is my fun time for sure ! So i will definitely listen to my body and continue fighting through for my results!
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I do boxing/kick boxing for my cardio 2x week, then running 2-3 times a week with weights. Honestly, it is how you/your body handles the routine.

Start out with something small then build it up to what you enjoy.

I love your profile picture!!!!
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba almost every day..only because I loved it and did weights 3-4 days a week.. I alternated days for arms,shoulders and legs,back.

Both did wonders for the 50lbs I lost.

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but what kind of exercises did you do with weights? I do Zumba 4 times a week and would like to add weight training, but don't know where to start. I have 3, 5 & 8 pound weights at home.