Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey

Options
I have been using a few different protein powders, but am am thinking of purchasing some Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey as I want a good solid protein to help supplement my diet. And I have read good reviews of this brand (No 1 on Bodybuilding.com). I also like the fact that it comes with BCAAs, and has some great flavours.
As always, I am a bit unsure of ordering a massive amount without discovering whether or not I like the taste/texture or not. So…what are people's opinions on this protein?

Any recommended Flavours or any other brands of good quality whey can anyone recommend?

Replies

• Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It is my favorite, I've been using their Double Rich Chocolate for years. I tried Cytosport as it was a good deal at Costco but I didn't like it. If learned anything about eating healthy is that I won't eat healthy things I don't like just because they're healthy. Better to opt for healthy things YOU LIKE than fall off the wagon because you hate choking down canned tuna (my nemesis).
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it! I'm rocking the Cookies and Cream right now, has a great flavor and dissolves very quickly. Just ordered the Double Chocolate and the Vanilla Ice Cream - both get outstanding flavor reviews as well.
  • IndyFit52
    Options
    I have three tubs of the Extreme Mlik Chocolate from Optimum Nutrition. It is delicious. Tastes exactly like chocolate milk. Mixes incredibly well. Pretty much the only way I can get protein in my system first thing in the morning is if I drink my protein shake (coconut milk, green supplement, frozen banana, 1 scoop protein powder, and water) yum!
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Double Rich Chocolate, Vanilla Ice Cream, Chocolate Mint, Extreme Milk Chocolate, French Vanilla Cream, and Mocha Cappuccino. If I could, I would buy one of each flavor. My all time favorite protein powder.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second tub of banana flavor. Like it, especially to mix with oatmeal & pancakes & Shakes.

I also really like Cellucor's peanut butter - marshmallow flavor and their cinnamon flavor.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I've been using the product for a few months. I like both "Chocolate" and "Vanilla" flavors...not real keen on the "Cookies & Cream". :smile:
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Its hard to blend-and the large jugs get pretty intolerable. I started mixing it with ANYTHING to kill the aftertaste. If you want a big jg of pretty good protein, my personal opinion is Dynatize Elite in any flavor. It blends in a bottle to a silky texture.
    Or BSN in Caramel Latte.....because coffee.
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options
    Any recommended Flavours or any other brands of good quality whey can anyone recommend?

Toffee Caramel is REVOLTING.

Cookies n cream and strawberry are pretty good though. :3

In general you can get the cheapest bulk isolate you can find and you'll be okay. Avoid American Pure Whey, Gaspari and Walmart's Body Fortress though, their actual protein content is way below what's advertised.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I'm thinking I will go for one of the chocolate flavours, as I find generally you can't go wrong with good old chocolate. Vanilla is a bit hit and miss in my experience. Sometimes it tastes too much of sweeteners. Im tempted by the Mocha, so maybe that one too? I'll avoid the Toffee Caramel though!!

I've heard that Dynatize Elite is a good one too - but I can't find it to buy in the UK :(
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My brother swears by Optimum and Dynatize!

Just bought some GNC Pro Performance whey this morning. $19.99 for 2 lbs of Cookies & Cream. Got a Vanilla Cream one also. :) Have never tried GNC, but my boyfriend uses it more than I do and he said it's not bad.
  • fitness_faeiry
    Options
    Does Optimum Nutrition work well mixed with oats to make like a pro-oats porridge? I know some proteins just don't seem to mix well for this purpose.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

That's what my wife says - but I kinda like it. Anyone tried Chocolate Coconut? I have a taste for coconut but oftentimes doesn't come through well in many prepared foods. Hate to buy a few pounds and find that one revolting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Does Optimum Nutrition work well mixed with oats to make like a pro-oats porridge? I know some proteins just don't seem to mix well for this purpose.

Yes. I use the natural vanilla one though... can't stand aspartame.
  • fitness_faeiry
    Options
    Awesome - thank you!
    I watched a documentary the other day where scientists said there is no scientific research to prove that Aspartame is bad for you in any way, so I don't mind having it in small doses.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

That's what my wife says - but I kinda like it. Anyone tried Chocolate Coconut? I have a taste for coconut but oftentimes doesn't come through well in many prepared foods. Hate to buy a few pounds and find that one revolting.

So I bit the bullet and bought the chocolate coconut - which is a risk because it is only availlable in 5 lb tubs (not 2 lbs). Arrived yesterday and tried it for the first time today.

It is not a coconut lover's dream by any stretch, but it is passable. But I found I must not dilute it the way I have with other flavors -- i.e., directions are from one scoop per 6 - 8 oz liquid; I have used 10 - 12 oz per scoop with other flavors and been good whereas with choc coconut anything beyond 8 oz or so starts to taste weak / bad.
  • meaganorton123
    meaganorton123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Extreme Milk Chocolate flavour - I love it!
  • MaquisJim
    MaquisJim Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for UPS to deliver any minute here today ON Oats & Whey~~haven't tried any protein powders in a decade. My wellness coach recommended Gaspari & Carnivor so I'll probably try them eventually; Amazon reviews pointed toward ON as being well reviewed.

Carnivor sounds interesting since they are using beef protein instead of the usual sources like milk, egg, soy.