Exercise Advice please!

Options
Hello everyone! I am just getting started on my MFP journey, and I wanted to have some ideas from you all for some ways to get in a workout here and there.

Note that I live in a big city, so I cannot be doing jumping jacks in my 4th floor apartment. Also, a gym membership is too expensive, and the discount ones are not opened on the weekends when I can go. I enjoy running, but it's so cold out right now that waking up before work to run in 2°C doesn't really seem like a viable option.

Any ideas of something I can be doing at home maybe which doesn't require much space (my apartment is tiny) and where I'm not jumping around too much? Or has anyone found a good way to exercise outdoors in the winter?

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks

Replies

• CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and walk walk walk!

Running in 2C isn't that bad once you get going. I often find the cool air keeps my legs feeling strong longer
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    hula hooping is good, and fairly quiet when you stop dropping it
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For a fairly mild workout, check Leslie Sansome videos - you're mostly walking in place with some other things mixed in like hamstring curls, side steps arm movements, etc. The closest thing to high impact is jogging in place but you could just continue walking.

For a more difficult workout, try Bob Harper's Pure Burn Super Strength. No jumping around - squats, lunges, arm exercises, burpees, push-ups etc. You can also do plenty of that kind of strength training on your own either just with body weight or using hand weights.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I am starting the body by you program--strength training with body weight. No jumping required.
  • JasonPeth
    JasonPeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How about going up and down the stairs?
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    2C isn't that bad. As long as you wear the right clothing I tend to run outside until about -10C. Colder than that then my bronchitis will act up and I sound like I've smoked a pack a day for 20+ years :cry:
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have exercise bands and walk :)
  • ghostfingers
    Options
    I recommend bundling up, too! It gets to about -10 degree C here (I think, it;s 15 degrees fahrenheit, haha) and I've found that even at that point, it's manageable... just stay bundled up, and remember that after about 10 minutes of a brisk walk you'll get nice and toasty. The first 10 minutes can be pretty nasty sometimes, but it's worth it! My biggest issue in the winter is ice, slippery nastiness but I find I'm usually okay if I run on roads instead of sidewalks- which is better for my knees anyhow!

I'm new to running myself, and the biggest thing I did was find motivation. I've been running with Zombies, Run! and some good music, and it's made me WANT to go running, instead of forcing myself to do it every day. When you WANT to run, there are always ways to do it!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    How about going up and down the stairs?

This and body weight/dumbell exercises. Dancing is probably good too as long as you aren't jumping around. Pick up a belly dance tape or something similar.
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There is a blog backonpointe.tumblr.com/ and there are a ton of workouts, one is even called "no jumping". I think you will find something to suit you :)
  • MissLakeTime
    MissLakeTime Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm using the app Sworkit App that I found advertised on MFP and you pick what you want to do (Cardio, Strength training, yoga, etc.) and for how long and you can FF through different exercises (which would help if you came to an exercise that would be too loud) and it also sync's directly to MFP.
  • ScottishGirlXO
    ScottishGirlXO Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Using "its too cold to go out running" is no longer an excuse. I got away with that one for almost a year, because here in Scotland, it's ALWAYS freezing.

I decided to stop making up excuses and do something about it. I normally go my run when I finish work which is around 5pm. I do some floor exercises in the house i.e sit ups, squats, and general warm up exercises. I then go out and run around streets and roads where there is light. I do a quick 30 second sprint and take it down a notch to light jogging for around 3 minutes straight then do another quick 30 second sprint and then power walk to get my breath back and my heart rate down. I continue to power walk until I feel ready to repeat. It gets easier as the days/weeks go on. Don't feel like you need to push yourself too much on the first week as your body will just be getting used to running. Just keep thinking, a bit of exercise is better than sitting on the sofa with a packet of biscuits.

Hope I helped x
  • Glens_Life
    Glens_Life Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Going to be walking in 19f weather, this gave me the motivation even if its cold out side walk anyways.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Tai Cheng
    Yoga
    Pilates
  • Cate42490
    Options
    Wow thank you all for your help! I got a lot of good options here.. the exercise bands, some good videos, and of course the stairs! I also guess I better go out and get some warm clothes, because it seems I really have no excuse not to get outside! thanks again X
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of weights, lunges, crunches, and squats in my apartment and I'm on the second floor. I also run up and down the stairs sometimes pretending I'm in a hurry going somewhere. Lol!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    All I hear is excuses, figure out a way to workout. Buy an upright exercise bike, do yoga or isometrics.:angry:
  • CeeCee_RB
    Options
    I recomend to use the Air Climber! I have lose 6 pounds in 4 days doing it only 30 minutes per day. I also drink lots of water and eat less than 1500 calories per day.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Zumba, no jumping there and it's fun