Ladies...I need some tips for losing weight during TOM..Plea

Options
Hey Ladies,

I am kinda irritated because I end up losing almost 15 days a month during my TOM.... few days before and during the cycle... I just cant lose any weight.... and at times, end up gaining weight...

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee share some tips that would help me lose weight around my TOM....

I HATE TOM ! I HATE TOM ! I HATE TOM ! I wonder why are they even there... anyways.. cant escape so I better find a way around....

Thanks again :)

Luv n Hugs,
S.K.B

Replies

• Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    same problem. I have come to the conclusion weighing in on those weeks it just not a good idea.
  • indianajonex
    Options
    Hey,
    I have a hormonal imbalance so I understand you. Those days it's all about the water.

Little trick:

If you are keeping water in your body during those days, you MUST drink so the body knows there will be a refill, and gets rid of some. If you don't drink, the body keeps water in storage.

To get rid of more water, the dinner must be just proteins: ham, egg, low fat cheese, fish, no oil (to take care of your liver, make it clean, no oil), and it will be like TINKERBELL TOUCHED YOU DURING THE NIGHT, you will shrink during the night and that will help you fell stronger the next day to keep on trying.

Hope this will help you!
    Jane.
  • Candypoetrygirl
    Candypoetrygirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well I spoke to my gynae about it and he said that bloating is normal and just the way the body works - also that you could have an excess 5lbs or more during ovulation, TOM etc.......

on another question: dis any of the ladies have a delay in TOM when you stared exercising?
  • brendajs
    brendajs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!! It's "Pre-week", "Post-week" and of course the "week of"........only one good week a month!! I'm hoping that things might change alittle bit now. I was doing WW and just joined MFP on 11/17. Not sure if it'll make a difference....but hoping so!!! Secretly....I'm thinking it's my...ummmmm....gulp....age.

Here's hoping we can still lose even with that darn monkey on our backs!!
  • KarenJean81
    KarenJean81 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I've found that helps is water, oh, and good stuff for cravings, I amcurrently obsessed with skinny cow, they make these fudgr pops that taste like they should be a millioncalories, but are less than 100. I also don't weigh in if I feel bloated, I'd rather not know that week than get discouraged.
  • rdennis1990
    rdennis1990 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It really is water, like posted above. Just keep drinking and really avoid the mirror and scale if at all possible. Make sure you keep moving and working-out...
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink more water as i feel more thirsty, i still do my workouts as i have found they r helping reduce my pain a bit (very hevy & painful tom) & dh has said im less cranky as well. i think i take it out in the workout & feel so tired lol
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this as well, I drink water all the time but I just don't weigh myself which I am only weighing myself twice a month anyway because I stress out way to much.
  • simply_healthy
    simply_healthy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have never gone back without a good answer from MFPeople :) Thanksssssssssssssss so much for all these tips.. Will surely try more water and only proteins for dinner.... Will keep you posted.

Have a lovely time ahead :)

Luv n Hugs,
    S.K.B
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else said, water. Also, fruit seems to help (and coffee, oddly enough) get rid of the bloating. Oily fish can help combat cravings for chocolate. I don't know why, but it totally works. Chocolate milk or hot chocolate can help too, and try and take a calcium supplement. It just makes you feel so much better. If it's too hard to work out, just try taking a long walk.
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    I use to have the same problem. I solved it in two ways, 1) Nattercan is right make sure you drink alot of water and 2) as per my naturapath, take evening primerose oil 1000mg tabs morning and night and alot of the pre, post and week of TOM issues will completely calm down. Hope this helps.
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you have a Iphone get Iperiod. It is a free app and is fantastic, becuase you get to know exactly when your period is coming balahh blahh and you can track when you bloat, when you wan to stuff your face... That way you can plan a bit.. drinking more water, eating more proteins... doing more ab work to get more energy flow down there...
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    keep you sodium levels down and drink lots of water...
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Think it happens to most of us. You're not gaining weight per se, just retaining some water!! :noway: This is perfectly normal and what should happen. If it doesnt, there's a problem!!

Your weight loss should average out over the month?

I agree with oil of evening primrose if you get all associated symptoms. I've been taking it for years and I dont get too hormonal. It doesnt stop the scale sticking tho!

All the best :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Well I spoke to my gynae about it and he said that bloating is normal and just the way the body works - also that you could have an excess 5lbs or more during ovulation, TOM etc.......

on another question: dis any of the ladies have a delay in TOM when you stared exercising?

Yes, the scale sticks around ovulation too! In fact, there's only every been 2 weeks per month that I register weight loss! Highly frustrating, but perfectly natural.

And yes, I experieced a delay of 5 days last month which i put down to increasing my exercise intensity.

All the best :flowerforyou:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I double my water intake to 4-6 liters during that time. It really helps with getting rid of the water your body holds on to. That is the only thing I have done differently, and it has worked for me. I actually LOST weight this past cycle.

Good luck!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I defiintely drink more water because most of the time for me i still eat wisely and its all about the water retention....and i agree about the proteins too
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    After almost 3 years on MFP and weighing in each week, I have seen my pattern. When I'm working on weight loss, my body will lose nothing that week and usually 2 lbs the next week even though I'm set up to lose one pound a week. I found it very helpful to track it. Now I know it's a pattern for my body and it doesn't stress me any more.
  • buggaboo73
    Options
    I like the protein idea for TOM but if you're like me that's rough because it's exactly the time you're crazing carbs.

I used to be on Anne Collins weight loss site and among her tips was one about your period, she said go ahead and PLAN to eat a bit extra some of these days. If you add a few hundred calories you will be able to treat yourself and satisfy cravings in a controlled way, and you won't gain weight, as opposed to trying to be "perfect" and ending up crabby and frustrated and bingeing on bad stuff and gaining. So that's what I do. For the first couple days I just accept these whill be maintanence days, eat a bit extra, drink lots of water and maintain until the worst passes.
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options

OMG YES. I was off schedule by about 2-3 weeks, it was a MAJOR delay. I'm usually like clockwork so that was a little startling. Even though it was absolutely NOT possible, I'm not gonna lie and say that I didn't have paranoid thoughts, lol.