Stiffness after running

Options
Good morning friends! I just joined yesterday and this is my first post! Im wondering, do you get really stiff after you run? Ive been running for years now and everytime about an hour later if I sit for a bit and get up I cant move! My joints get really stiff any thoughts? I do stretch btw :)

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't feel stiff after running-- I am wondering if you are tense when you are running and thats why you are feeling it. Not an expert runner by any means, just a thought
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Try drinking more water as this will help flush the lactate out, do you cool down before stretching or just stop?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I agree that a long warm down and stretching will help. Plus hydration. I made myself a pair of polar fleece leggings to pull on after a run and that does a great deal to reduce stiffness as it keeps my muscles warm and flexible.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The only time I seem to get stiff is if I sit down and do nothing almost immediately after I cool down. I only recall that happening once or twice but it has happened. However, it was good by the end of the day. If it's going on longer you may want to talk to your doctor.

I was going to ask if you were new to running, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I would also say it could be your form, but if you've been running for years I would think that you have the correct form. When you say joints, is it just your knees or other joints too?

The person who posted above me made me think of compression gear, however, those are for your muscles. But, it may be worth a try if you're looking for a solution.

I really wouldn't know what to recommend. I've taken to dynamic warmups before I run and that really seems to help me with the normal aches and pains of running. So if you're not doing that, give it a try. I'm sure you can find a good dynamic warmup on the internet and if not, send me a message and I'll tell you what I do.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The only time I seem to get stiff is if I sit down and do nothing almost immediately after I cool down. I only recall that happening once or twice but it has happened. However, it was good by the end of the day. If it's going on longer you may want to tal kto your doctor.

I was going to ask if you were new to running, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I would also say it could be your form, but if you've been running for years I would think that you have the correct form. When you say joints, is it just your knees or other joints too?

I really wouldn't know what the recommend. I've taken to dynamic warmups before I run and that really seems to help me with the normal aches and pains of running. So if you're not doing that, give it a try. I'm sure you can find a good dynamic warmup on the internet and if not, send me a message and I'll tell you what I do.

This...
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Stiffness, for me, only happens when my shoes wear out. Stiffness is my wear indicator ;) Just food for thought
  • tamj73
    tamj73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. My shoes never seem to matter, new or old I get stiff. Maybe stretching, and no I guess I dont do much of a cool down. Dynamic warm up? Sounds interesting I wil look into that. I seem to be hips and knees both get stiff. I was thinking hot tub but maybe its just an excuse to buy on LOL!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My hips can get that way if I don't stretch enough after running and if I have been running with too long of a stride. I personally stretch before and after I run and that helps me.
  • Zurichman
    Zurichman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a cool down right after your run. Walk maybe for 5 minutes or so

Get a nice shower ASAP. I do a warm shower followed by cold water water as this works the same as icing

Get some recovery carbs in you in the 1st 30 minutes after the run.

Good luck
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    welcome to 40 :-)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. My shoes never seem to matter, new or old I get stiff. Maybe stretching, and no I guess I dont do much of a cool down. Dynamic warm up? Sounds interesting I wil look into that. I seem to be hips and knees both get stiff. I was thinking hot tub but maybe its just an excuse to buy on LOL!!

I get stiffness in my hips sometimes. Things like hip circles (both ways), full squats (*kitten* to grass), hip flexor stretches (kind of like a lunge) and walking lunges are all really good dynamic warmups.

You could also give foam rolling a go before and/or after a workout. I like to do my calves, hip flexors, glutes, inner thighs and quads which helps a lot with generally stiffness/soreness
  • Zoekat05
    Zoekat05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In addition to the suggestions made already re: doing a dynamic warm-up and also a cool-down, you may want to consider getting a foam roller. I have a TriggerPoint, but there are lots of other kinds out there, easy to google. Regular foam rolling will do wonders.