Doing the work but the pounds are staying

Options
Hey everyone :)

I just recently moved and I got back into the weight loss and getting fit groove. In the past couple weeks I have noticed my stomach went down and I tightened up all around. My clothes are even fitting better and more roomy. I'm also getting some (not much) definition on my arms. I'm eating healthy and feeling better :)
But when I weight myself it says I didn't loose any weight?!? What's going on?!? Should I just say screw it and continue doing what I'm doing? Why is this?

Any advice or positive vibes will help, thanks :)

Julia :)

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Be tougher with yourself...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I don't know, do you like your clothes fitting better, stomach being a bit tighter? some arm definition? Or would you rather see a scale go down while your pants get tighter? and you notice no changes?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    um why do you care what the scale says if everything else is pointing in the right direction????
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I never seem to lose pounds and inches at the same time. Sometimes the scale goes down but I don't feel any different and my clothes don't fit any better and sometimes my clothes fit better but the scale doesn't budge. Stay with the program you seem to be doing something right.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    the scale is a filthy liar.

Losing inches and noticing your clothes fit better is FAR FAR FAR more important than a number on a scale.

ditch the scale and keep doing what you're doing!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on getting back in the groove! The scale is not your friend, but those measurements can be! Your clothes fit better, you're getting some definition, and you are noticing the changes in your body! Definite NSVs to be proud of!

For me, the scale does not move when my sodium intake is at or even a tiny bit more than the daily recommended amount. I blow up like a puffer fish with the water retention. My first guess is your muscles are holding a bit of water to keep them supple through your workouts, but it could be anything, really. Maybe changing what you track on your macros will be helpful to see some patterns? Maybe you're eating at maintenance and didn't know it?

Overall, though, seeing the changes in your body is HUGE! Celebrate!

:flowerforyou:
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    SCREW IT... your body composition is obviously changing... forget about the scale
  • katymartino
    katymartino Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Losing inches and noticing your clothes fit better is FAR FAR FAR more important than a number on a scale.

ditch the scale and keep doing what you're doing!

^^^THIS
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    um why do you care what the scale says if everything else is pointing in the right direction????

This... the scale is just one measurement of change. It is not the be-all, end all of health.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same thing. Clothes fit better, feeling better, as of this morning the scale went back up. Thinking this am that it could be because I started working out last week, and my muscles are sore, so could be retaining water? Also, I've been eyeballing my food, going to get a food scale today, that may be the issue as well... Fitbit shows a 500-750 cal deficit per day in the last week and a half, scale has not budged. Trying to stay positive!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

This made me laugh..thanks...

ETA: I think I am going to get a pink sticky with "I am a Filthy Liar" written on it and put it on my sisters scale...cause I don't own one...hehe
  • mj_lucas
    mj_lucas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are building muscle! Muscle weights more than fat! Yay for muscle and tone!!
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are seeing great results! Let that be your motivation to keep going. :)
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The scale is a filthy liar - so true!!! Google the article "Why the Scale Lies". I hardly ever weigh in anymore.
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cheers for the advice and comments :)

I think I will just forget about the scale and focus on my body and how I feel. I know this is the logical thing but sometimes you just need reassurance that I'm doing things right. I also upped my intake on water so that could be a factor I didn't think of before.

Thanks all :) And good luck to you :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You are building muscle! Muscle weights more than fat! Yay for muscle and tone!!

Doubtful......

Most likely water weight from the added exercise regimen. Muscle, especially enough to affect the scale, just isn't put on that fast.
  • jillybeansatlanta
    Options
    You're doing everything right! Your body is responding the way it should by building muscle and shedding fat. Ignore the scale for awhile! :smile:
  • sarfran27
    Options
    I echo what a lot of others are saying... Don't let the number on the scale dishearten you.

Track your progress by other means eg, how your clothes feel, measure yourself with a tapemeasure, take full body photos of yourself every few weeks.
    Also log other goals, are you getting fitter, running faster, getting stronger.

Try not to focus on just the scale - it can be a real demotivator - there are loads of factors which afftect the number that you see. Weight loss takes time. It sounds like you're doing the right thing, and it's all going the right way. Keep going, be patient, and try and enjoy it :)

Good luck!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone :)

I just recently moved and I got back into the weight loss and getting fit groove. In the past couple weeks I have noticed my stomach went down and I tightened up all around. My clothes are even fitting better and more roomy. I'm also getting some (not much) definition on my arms. I'm eating healthy and feeling better :)
    But when I weight myself it says I didn't loose any weight?!? What's going on?!? Should I just say screw it and continue doing what I'm doing? Why is this?

Any advice or positive vibes will help, thanks :)

Julia :)

Ignore the scale, and trust the mirror, the measuring tape and your clothing tags. And how you feel overall. If you really want to see the numbers on the scale move, you'll have to eat at a deficit.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You're doing everything right! Your body is responding the way it should by building muscle and shedding fat. Ignore the scale for awhile! :smile:

Umm.....no, You can't really build muscle and shed fat at the same time, especially enough muscle to affect the scale.

Most likely water retention.