We All Have Sob Stories...

Options
We all have sob stories, and yes, it's okay to cry. But it's also okay to pick yourself back up again.

In June 2012 I had a long anticipated surgery for bilateral exertional compartment syndrome. A week in a wheelchair, a long month before I could start running or lifting again, a mild set-back because of an infection in one of my scars, and I was on my way. Not too bad right? Thankfully I'm a Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC) so I could do my own rehab and monitor my own progression. Nothing better than an ortho saying "you know what to do, take care of yourself". I went from barely being able to walk up a hill (pain, burning, the whole 9 yards) to running 5-6 miles without problems. Aside from being tired of course! Not too bad of a sob story right?

Well - fast forward to August 2013. Remember when I thought there was nothing better than my ortho saying to take care of myself? Well, I was wrong. There's nothing better than being able to call your ortho on a Sunday afternoon right after his family vacation and having him meet you at the hospital to do an emergency surgery. Why? Because on August 10th, 2013 I was bitten by a copperhead. Like the good medical professional that I am, I went to the ER right away. Seems like poisonous snake bites isn't something to ignore. Right? Well, after spending about 14 hours in that hospital, getting told that there was no way I could have been bitten by a snake, and given nothing except improperly administered medication - my left leg was swollen from my toes to a bit above my knee, I couldn't move my ankle/foot, had searing pain when anything touched my leg (couldn't even have a sheet covering it), was nauseated/vomiting my guts out, and felt as though I was being stabbed, and that what was stabbing me had an electric shock on the end. One phone call later, to someone I consider not only one of the best orthopedic surgeons ever, but also a friend, I was on my way for the first of two (but had the potential to be four) surgeries that ended up saving my foot as well as any hope I ever had of running and having a normal life.

So, here I am, not even six months after the scariest weekend of my life. And this morning as I struggled to get through my run, I want to stop and remember how lucky I am. As easy as it is for me to get angry with myself for where I am at now, in comparison to where I was...I remember the relief I felt as my boyfriend (and most amazing man in the world) held my had as I was rolled into the operating room...I remember him telling me how proud he was of me for being strong, both in the hospital and after my first run...I remember seeing my mom's face after she drove about 15 hours across the country to take care of me...I remember how grateful I was to have such a wonderful surgeon who has helped better my life as well as saving all the things I've taken for granted...and I remember my determination to walk out of the woods after being bitten (about 15 minutes, through a stream and up a wooded ravine...

I was determined not to give up then, and I'm determined not to give up now. We all have our sob stories. And it's okay to cry. But don't let those sob stories define you. Because it's okay to get back up.

Replies

• TravelinChiGal
    TravelinChiGal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Wow! Not only are you my morning workout buddy, you are an inspiration!!! So happy to have you as a buddy!

1529060.png
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks girl! I needed to vent this morning (one of those weeks) so I thought I'd try and give everyone else the same motivational kick in the butt that I needed =)
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a string of bad luck. Awesome perserverance on your part to keep on truckin' after every set back. That mental strength shows you can overcome any obstacles thrown in your path. Very impressive. I'm proud to have you on my friends list! On another note, one of my friends was bitten by a copperhead also and had a similar, but not as bad experience as you did. He almost lost his foot becuase of it. What's up with hospitals not treating snake bites immediately? Lol!
  • bitten2better
    Options
    Haha, that's nice to call it bad luck - part of it was just stupidity though!

I'm really not sure why? Seems illogical to me! At first they told me that I wasn't bitten at all, even though there were bleeding fang marks. Then I was told that there was no way I was bitten by a venomous snake because my reaction wasn't severe enough...that it was probably just bacteria from fangs (yet not given an antibiotic or tetanus shot)... And then after my (not so polite) explanations of events, they told me that they wouldn't give me anti-venom because there was no way to verify that it was a copperhead and anti-venom is expensive. I grant you, I never saw the snake (it was dark), but my boyfriend (former Marine, 10 years in special forces) did...but since we didn't kill it and bring it in...They ignored it! I was darn close to loosing my foot too (or at least the ability to use it)...so I feel your friends pain! Hopefully he's recovering well =)
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    And here I sit *****ing and moaning because it's been two weeks that I haven't been able to do my cycling or go to the gym. I've been walking the dog for 40-60 min a day, but it wipes me out! I tried to go to the gym thinking, "I'm just going to do a little weight on my shoulders, nothting much..." I did two exercises and my heart rate was through the roof (166). I am gong to try my pilates class tonight...

You've done great, keep up the good work. You encourage us all!!!
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    WOW! Wow, and wow! Amazing! You are so lucky. So very lucky! Happy for you! WTG! You are rocking it now!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    A nice reminder that living is the best gift :) Hope you have a speedy recovery from here on in - and maybe stay out of the woods for a while!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping for my news feed. We have several other members who have triumphed over things that would've brought most people down. I'm glad you had a happy ending to your story! :flowerforyou: You might want to think about making something for the Fitspiration thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1128928-mfp-fitspiration
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Definitely needed this. Whining about all the things that stand in my way. Time to suit up and shut up. Thank you for sharing and I am very glad to hear you are doing well.

... and that scar does look pretty wicked! :wink:
  • I_Atent_Dead
    Options
    Wonderful post, thank you. This was EXACTLY what I needed to read right now.
  • alienaliens
    alienaliens Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tip my hat to you, one strong woman! you are beast.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are an inspiration! You have a wonderful attitude after all of that. I've been confounded lately by medical professionals, and your snake bite experience is right up there with my family's latest encounters. I know there are wonderful doctors, nurses, ER's and facilities out there. It's just so hard when you have to deal with the exceptions to that rule. Good for you that you overcame and took your care into your own hands like that!
  • bitten2better
    Options
    You all are so amazing! I wrote this mostly to myself...as a reminder to be thankful for what I have and not be too hard on myself. That doesn't come easily to me! As a former rugby player, I'm not good at taking it easy! But, I've truly been amazed at the amount of people who have messaged me after seeing this. I hope you all can see the strength in yourselves!

And for the record...I've been out hiking the past 2 weekends... I guess I haven't learned my lesson yet!
  • bitten2better
    Options
    Wow! You are an inspiration! You have a wonderful attitude after all of that. I've been confounded lately by medical professionals, and your snake bite experience is right up there with my family's latest encounters. I know there are wonderful doctors, nurses, ER's and facilities out there. It's just so hard when you have to deal with the exceptions to that rule. Good for you that you overcame and took your care into your own hands like that!

I agree with you 100%. I'm just lucky that I am a medical professional and know when someone is wrong! Of course, having a wonderful ortho just a text or phone call away definitely helps! I hope everything is okay with your family =)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Man, that is one crazy story! Go you! It certainly beats my little Black Widow bite story :D

I do have one I always remember, because it was a New Years decades ago where I nearly never woke up again. I fell into a coma pretty suddenly (at home) due to a medication metabolism issue, and I think of it every single New Year. My blood levels were those of an OD of the med, literally. I am so thankful to still be here, if a little broken down here and there :D