Exercise Advice please!

Options
2»

Replies

• sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    How tall are the ceilings?

If you have tall enough ceilings you can swing a Kettlebell.

:happy:
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How tall are the ceilings?

If you have tall enough ceilings you can swing a Kettlebell.

:happy:
    I was gonna say this too.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    There's also a good book "You Are Your Own Gym" which is full of body weight exercises that need little or no equipment.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    How about going up and down the stairs?

I'm in on the stairs suggestion. When I travel out east and stay in a hotel, I purposefully ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor and then ask for the location of the stairs. The Desk Clerk looks at me a little crazy and points to the emergency fire stairway (who else would use stairs right!). Before calling it a day I hit the stairwell and make several trips up and down, not to mention, I never use the elevator. I prefer this over using the fitness center (so many more experienced people there fighting for machines!). I am more of a cardio person so this fits right in for me and the bitter cold temps outside are not a variable.
  • wkhauser
    wkhauser Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    heck if you live on the 4th floor, you could just walk/run up and down the stairs for a workout.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    look on you tube for cardio without jumping. there are a lot of videos out there. I've tried one or two, and they do get my heart pumping.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    How about going up and down the stairs?

I'm in on the stairs suggestion. When I travel out east and stay in a hotel, I purposefully ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor and then ask for the location of the stairs. The Desk Clerk looks at me a little crazy and points to the emergency fire stairway (who else would use stairs right!). Before calling it a day I hit the stairwell and make several trips up and down, not to mention, I never use the elevator. I prefer this over using the fitness center (so many more experienced people there fighting for machines!). I am more of a cardio person so this fits right in for me and the bitter cold temps outside are not a variable.

If you don't want to buy gear to run outside, then I will second (third) this suggestion. The latest issue of Runners World actually had an article about doing stairs to help with the cardio and endurance. Doesn't take the place of running, but it's something until it reaches a temperature that you want to run in.
  • hillarayray
    Options
    When it's not too terribly cold outside, I bundle up and go on a jog. As they say, "it doesn't matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch." I also do Zumba! It's dancing and you can tone it down if you want as to not be jumping around and what not.
  • ScouterC
    Options
    2 degrees! That's warm weather. I walk my dogs even when it's 30 below (with a wind chill). ;)

All teasing aside. Doing the stairs in your apartment building, (if it's a large building with two stairwells at the end, try getting off at each floor and briskly walking to the other stairwell. You might even strike up a friendship with someone else in your building. Mall walking is free, and most Malls open early to allow you to walk (but keep walking past that food court that opens early).

Find out about 'free swim' or 'free skate' night at your local pool or rink.

Even when watching TV, if the music is update, just do some moves to it. (Even talk shows like Ellen, Dr. Oz, and The Doctors have times where there is upbeat music. Make it a practice to jump up from the couch to move to the music.)

Buy one set of workout DVDs. Doesn't have the absolute best... just so long as there are different workouts to keep the variety up. (Even Jillian Michael's workouts have some low impact, or modify the exercize so you are bouncing... at least your moving.)

Check out YouTube for Tiffany Rothe 10 minute workouts... FREE - I do this at work in my office.