Salad Dressing?

Options

Replies

• sjrja
    sjrja Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    They are coming out with better salad dressings all the time now - there is a line from Marzetti called "Simply Dressed" which are very tasty and have no corn syrup, MSG, preservatives. Marie's also has some yogurt-based dressings that are pretty tasty and not too terrible in calories. Also, I use the old Weight Watchers trick of putting your salad dressing in a tiny bowl on the side of your salad, just dipping your fork first in the dressing and then into the salad. You get a lot of flavor but tend to use way less dressing than if you pour it directly on the salad. I am also a big fan of salsa on a Mexican type salad and tzatziki on a Greek salad. Delicious!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Lately, I just put some good balsamic vinegar on my salad. A nice flavored vinegar can be a dressing in and of itself.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad dressing is a sprinkle of salt to bring out the flavor of the veggies. Also, sometimes I throw on a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese with a little salt and pepper.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't alwaYS USE dressing either but if I'm home and want some, I used the bottled kind and don't beat myself up about it.
  • Jjsharry
    Jjsharry Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Although I don't really like the guy very much, Jamie Oliver's dressings in the link below are all pretty simple, and good. The yoghurt one can be made pretty low cal if you use zero fat yoghurt and half the amount of oil.

I never use shop brought dressings any more, most are way to full of junk for my liking, and those that aren't are pretty expensive considering how simple they are to make.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/jam-jar-dressings
  • djclarkmom
    djclarkmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse makes a line of Greek Yogurt salad dressings that taste very much like the real deal. I especially like the Honey Mustard and the Caesar. All of them are 45 calories or less for 2 Tablespoons. http://bolthouse.com/products/dressings/creamyyogurts

I also recently tried Opa brand Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing (made by Lighthouse). It's 60 calories for 2 Tablespoons and did not have the off taste I usually find in lower calorie Ranch Dressings. http://www.litehousefoods.com/products/opa-ranch

Good Luck :)
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes a great line of dressings...made with yogurt and low calorie. It's in the refrigerated section near the salads. They are yummy!!!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When I looked at dressing there was only about a 30 calorie difference between many of the non/low fat options versus regular. Right now I have been using a Southwest Chipolte that is 100 calories per serving (2 tbs). I just measure it out and keep within my calories.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I usually just use balsamic vinegar and olive oil (about a teaspoon of each, but I add more vinegar if it's too dry).

I also love Trader Joe's raspberry vinaigrette for a low-calorie option that isn't too unhealthy.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I use Good Seasons raspberry vinegar more water less olive oil taste great.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    balsamic vinegar

love to use avocado with a squeeze of lemon dash of salt.. massage the avocado into the leaves,, i do this with kale alot

avocado is natures mayo.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use Bolthouse Farms salad dressings. The Raspberry Merlot made with balsamic vinaigrette and classic ranch made with yogurt are really good and pretty low-cal without the saturated fat you usually get from other calorie-wise dressings. I'm not sure if you have that brand in the US but if you do you should give them a try!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Aged apple-flavored balsamic vinegar. I bought it ages ago on a trip to Italy, and let it sit on my counter. Lately I cracked the wax seal and started using it. It's pretty awesome. When I run out, I'm even going to swallow the shipping charges and order more.
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    I just go with extra virgin olive oil, a splash of balsamic, salt and pepper. Then if I'm feeling really antisocial I sometimes add a minced garlic clove!

Someone above suggested lemon juice and oil - that works really well too.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Marie's Raspberry Vinaigrette or Marie's in general.
    http://www.maries.com/

ETA: In the fridge by the produce at your supermarket
  • bbvsusan
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! What a lovely selection.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling between knowing that low cal has chemical crap in it and knowing that full fat has a lot of calories.

What do you use and why?
    I mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and horseradish mustard. Because it's tasty.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    My own
    2 tables spoons Red Wine Vinegar
    juice of one lemon and one lime freshly squeezed
    1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon of Worechester
    2 cloves of garlic minced up
    one pinch of sugar
    5-8 grinds of Garlic Sea Salt grinder thingy
    2 tablespoons of EVOO