Confused but determined newbie with questions!

Options
Good morning everyone! I'm brand new to the My Fitness Pal community!

I know this board is used to introduce yourself and hopefully someone can point me to another board where someone may be able to give me some ideas, thoughts or pointers!

I'm 5'1" and about 118lbs. My heaviest was 128 and my lightest was 105. I'm not interested in being skinny but being fit with lean muscles, tone and definition. I know that I will need to lose at least some fat in order to see the muscles I'm wanting to develop. My schedule, work and lifestyle leaves me on the road quite a bit so going to the gym isn't always an option.

I originally thought about purchasing P90X3 or T25 but I'm not sure it's going to yield the results I'm hoping for....

Thoughts or advice on losing fat and gaining muscle and definition?!? I'm sooooo overwhelmed!

Replies

• romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    First you should document what you are eating now, then determine where you want to be. Reducing sugar and refined carbs in your diet will help, but without a snapshot of where you are, its difficult to give any specifics.
  • shellz516
    Options
    My diet consists of the following:

Breakfast:
    Oatmeal with banana, blackberries, blueberries with wheat germ
    OR
    One egg with two egg white scrambled with salsa

Lunch:
    Hard boiled egg with salad and piece of fruit
    OR
    Tuna and greek yogurt and fresh fruit
    OR
    Egg salad with salad

Dinner:
    Protein (chicken, fish or lean red meat - not much of a meat person)
    Veggie (Broccoli, asparagus are my favs)
    Brown rice or quinoa

It varies obviously from day to day but that's the basic idea. I've never counted calories :(
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Do not set your weight loss goal any higher than .5 lb. per week. Use the MFP protein goal as a minimum. Work on logging everything you eat accurately & honestly.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Just based on your meals posted above, it looks like you are already eating at a deficit. Of course, you don't have amounts so there is really no way to tell. Maybe try logging calories for a couple of weeks and see exactly how much you're consuming. As far as exercise, the best thing to get the results you're looking for is probably heavy lifting.
  • cjasinski011684
    Options
    I really, really love the Jilliam Michael's DVDs and Women's Health has a lot of great ones, too. At 5'7" and 122 lbs, I burn about 500 calories for her 40-minute workouts, like Killer Buns and Thighs and Extreme Shed and Shred. The shorter, 20-30 minute workouts like 30-Day Shred knock about 200 calories each. They're great because they combine cardio and strength, and if you mix them up you get a great total-body workout. Dedicating less than one hour a day to workouts fits my busy schedule and gets the job done, as long as you're giving it your 100% and watching what you eat, too. No I don't work for Women's Health or Jillian Michael's, I just found something that works and want to share them. I don't have time for a gym and I don't have time for a 90-minute workout, either. Get it done, and get it done fast, I say!

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do not set your weight loss goal any higher than .5 lb. per week. Use the MFP protein goal as a minimum. Work on logging everything you eat accurately & honestly.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This!^

In order to keep as much muscle as you can keep the weight loss slow. Strength training & protein are important to keeping muscle too.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 10"

Darn we don't get as many calories as others with being Short.

I would agree with P90X3 or T25 or even ChaLEAN Extreme.

Nancy
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I'm 4 10"

Darn we don't get as many calories as others with being Short.
    I'm 5'1 or 2". A 10-lb. loss is a drop in the bucket for most people, but it can be a complete transformation when you're short.
  • shellz516
    Options
    I'm trying to input my food for today to get started. In order to lose .5lb per week, what should my deficit be?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided Set your activity level. Choose a .5 lb. per week goal. MFP will give you a calorie goal w/ the deficit built in. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Log your exercise & eat back your exercise calories. If you aren't losing after a few weeks, eat back half your exercise calories.

Everybody's different. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I'm trying to input my food for today to get started. In order to lose .5lb per week, what should my deficit be?

3,500 / 2 = 1,750 This would be your weekly deficit. Divide by 7 for a daily deficit ....1,750 / 7= 250 calorie defict each day
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have finished T25 Alpha Beta and Gamma.. I am currently doing P90x3. I love these 2 programs for there shorter time frame. T25 has more cardio in the beginning but Beta brings in weights (or bands) and Gamma has weights in all but one of the days which is an epic cardio day.

If time is not your major concern then P90x or Insanity.. my husband did insanity and 3 rounds of P90x. He has lost 85 lbs and is actually lighter and more fit now than when he started junior high school.
  • shellz516
    Options

3,500 / 2 = 1,750 This would be your weekly deficit. Divide by 7 for a daily deficit ....1,750 / 7= 250 calorie defict each day

I'm new to all of this. I see where you arrived at your number but where does the 3500 come from? Sorry, total newbie here.
  • SAR4Life
    SAR4Life Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I did P90X and saw great results! the newer ones are quicker but the benefits are they keep you on your toes and constantly working (too many times we have too much down time during workouts to make true progress and really get a good workout) and also with minimal equipment, you can do it at home. Thus you don't need to deal with the gym (if you're intimidated ) and not much excuse cause you can workout right at home. I can tell you, IF you stick with it, you WILL see results!
  • TeaBea
    Options

I'm new to all of this. I see where you arrived at your number but where does the 3500 come from? Sorry, total newbie here.

Oops....I should have been more clear...:flowerforyou:

3,500 Calories are the 1 pound ....so a 1/2 pound (a week) goal would be a 1,750 calorie deficit