I'VE HIT A PLATEAU!!

Options
I'm looking for ideas on how to get out of this funk. I've been hovering around the same weight for two weeks now and I'm counting EVERY calorie, at about a 1200 calories a day with 1400 on days I exercise. Variation? Eat a certain food? I need something! I'll do just about anything at this point, beside something detrimental to my health. :happy:

Replies

• soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving. I've read where people were stuck at the same weight for months even though they lost inches. Some one said that muscles need water to heal so your body retains water.
  • conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do...don't quit! A couple things I have tried that have helped:

1. Try eliminating sugar from your diet, if you haven't already. Even if it's just for a week, and see if that helps.
    2. Try eating only/ whole grains for carbs for breakfast and lunch, and no starches for dinner. (So, no potatoes, rice, pasta, etc)
    3. LOTS of water
    4. Lots of fruits and vegetables
    5. You can try changing what you do for exercise - sometimes that helps too.

And did I say, don't quit! :wink:

I wish you well.
    Connie
  • 6952to70
    Options
    I've been a Lifetime member of Weight watchers for many years and I think this program beats everything I have ever done with WW. However, many of the things I learned in WW has been very helpful in any other weight loss effort. One is...you may have several days when you are doing everything right and it may not show up on the scale for 3-5 days....so DON'T GIVE UP!! Also, don't take very small losses as a failure.....remember....1/4 lb....is a stick of butter :-) Just stay on task...IT WILL SHOW UP!! Best of luck.....we are all in this together :-)
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had one month of losing nothing and it drove me completely mad! I eventually got out of it by upping my cals from net 1100-1200 to net 1350 (my BMR). I looked at my reports recently tho and I saw that despite my completely stagnant weightloss I had been losing inches the whole time! So I say as long as you persevere through you'll see results in some shape or form I'm sure :smile:
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Oh and one more thing, I also began to be super honest, logging that half biscuit/couple of blueberries/half slice of toast that I'd told myself didn't really count. It adds up! If you're not doing that already it may help
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do...don't quit! A couple things I have tried that have helped:

1. Try eliminating sugar from your diet, if you haven't already. Even if it's just for a week, and see if that helps.
    2. Try eating only/ whole grains for carbs for breakfast and lunch, and no starches for dinner. (So, no potatoes, rice, pasta, etc)
    3. LOTS of water
    4. Lots of fruits and vegetables
    5. You can try changing what you do for exercise - sometimes that helps too.

And did I say, don't quit! :wink:

I wish you well.
    Connie

thanks! and OH I'M NOT GOING TO QUIT!!! I've come too far to quit now!
  • mamacremers
    Options
    Oh and one more thing, I also began to be super honest, logging that half biscuit/couple of blueberries/half slice of toast that I'd told myself didn't really count. It adds up! If you're not doing that already it may help

I haven't been measuring myself at all, so maybe I'll start doing that. And you're right, I didn't log some things and now I'm logging EVERYTHING since this has happened!

i'm really kicking myself for not measuring at least when I started, I've really shrunk my legs, butt and stomach. Before I started someone actually commented on me being pregnant. That was my kickstart to losing weight!
  • 6952to70
    Options
    How are you doing? Do you feel like you are getting back on track and off the 'plateau'? Most of us have been at that point at one time or another and it's very easy to get discouraged.....Hope you are doing better,,,,Hang in there!!!
  • mamacremers
    Options
    How are you doing? Do you feel like you are getting back on track and off the 'plateau'? Most of us have been at that point at one time or another and it's very easy to get discouraged.....Hope you are doing better,,,,Hang in there!!!

Still at the plateau. So this past weekend, I didn't care, I didn't log and just let go. Well, I did care, I still kinda watched what I ate, but I didn't count or log my calories. Saturday, I hit my daily allowance by lunchtime. Then we ate at Fogo De Chao, and let me tell you, that place is calorie laden - MEAT, MEAT and more MEAT! But all DELICIOUS at the same time! Sunday was just as bad, but supper was a bit more controlled. So today, I'm back on the wagon, and I was only 56 calories over for the day. And I'm back, to my healthy eating good self. And I'm going to do a big push and get below 160 this week. I'M GONNA DO IT!!!!!
  • mamacremers
    Options

I lost half a pound yesterday! It worked! Just had to jolt my system a little.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I know its easier said then done sometimes, but try not to get discouraged.

Its a process of learning what your body needs. Sometimes it needs a break, other times it just needs change, or maybe you are getting too little or too much of something.

I know myself, I have learn that my body is way sensitive to sodium. Where most people can have 2000 or so mg in a day and not retain water, I am not so lucky so I really have to watch it.

I also learnt that my body is a jerk when my TOM is late. I have never really had a consistantly regular TOM (although it is much closer to being regular than ever in my whole life), but when it is late, I get the water retention and cravings and all that fun stuff from when I should get it to when I finally do get it. Because of this, if I am say 3 weeks late, then I lose nothing for that time period and even might gain a little during that time. It really hurts my feelings, but once I get it things go back to normal atleast for a month.

I'm glad you figured it out so quickly :) but remember to pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you.
  • mamacremers
    Options
    So If anyone gets notifications on these, I'm still the same weight 2 1/2 months later. But I know I've lost inches. I need to go to Goodwill and buy clothes again. My shirts are FINALLY too big and my pants are almost too baggy too again.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You said that you eat an extra 200 calories on the days that you workout? Are you burning more than 200, though? If so, eat the rest of the exercise calories. That can help.