Am I gonna be all saggy....?

Options
Ok everyone...I've been exercising and logging my food now for like 10 days straight. I've been doing mostly cardio (treadmill, elliptical, and this hockey type machine) mostly cuz I am terrified of using the weights...

I want to know...if I continue doing just cardio is my skin gonna be all saggy? (honest question). And any advice on weight lifting would be a welcome opinion.

:-)

Replies

• MyNameIsRita
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose? If its a lot then yes. You should lift! Ask staff at the gym to help you with a personalized workout. Thats what I did :)
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am terrified of using the weights...

Why?
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The younger you are the more likely you will be to have it all snap back into place, but if you've been very large and have a lot of excess skin, maybe. Don't fear the weights, just start small and educate yourself. Light weights done with correct form is the way to go for the beginners. Find a mentor or a trainer who can help get you started.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How much weight you have to lose and how quickly you lose it is important before anyone could answer this question. Weights or other strength training, along with proper diet, can help you maintain muscle as you lose fat. It's important to remember that most of the muscle is already there though.

If you lose a lot of weight you may still have saggy skin. Hydration and time are how you get rid of it. Lose more slowly and your skin will adjust more as you lose. Use a good moisturizer and drink plenty of fluids. And make sure you hit your fat goal. Low fat diets can dry your skin.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am terrified of using the weights...

Maybe start off with resistance bands or bodyweight exercise and work your way up to weights. Or ask for help from a trainer at your gym.
  • Kiayaxo
    Kiayaxo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was the same about using the weights. It took me over a month to build the confidence to try in the gym but honestly it has revolutionised my journey. I was starting to see myself looking "loose" as I was losing weight, within a week of adding ten mins of weights/resistance to my routine it all changed. And aswell my weightless actually sped up.
    Take it slow,
    Do some research before,
    And don't forget, everyone was once a beginner, never be afraid to seek help :)
    Good luck
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Just start slow... no one's perfect!! I started about a year ago...and I have never looked back. I watch the people around me. I ask the gym staff for advice and help. And if someone is doing something that I might want to try... I just ask them nicely if they would mind helping me. The worse thing they can say ... is no... and I ask someone else.

Most people will help you if you genuinely look like you want to know what's going on!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    What about weights terrifies you? They don't bite...
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    Some of the weights I was "prescribed" to lift are located in that area of the gym where all the HUGE guys lift and grunt.. Ahahah and believe me I am TERRIFIED!!! Terrified to go there! I used to have an anxiety disorder and its times like these I wonder if I am still affected by it.. But then I think about going to the beach next summer and forget about everything else!!! Motivation is very important. It's all in your head. If you want something bad enough, you WILL do it
  • twinmuma
    twinmuma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I did talk to someone at the gym last nights and I did use the weights and NO, I am not sore at all today. I am scared of the weights because I don't want to be really muscular. I just want to tone up, and scared if I lift too heavy then I will "bulk up"
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I did talk to someone at the gym last nights and I did use the weights and NO, I am not sore at all today. I am scared of the weights because I don't want to be really muscular. I just want to tone up, and scared if I lift too heavy then I will "bulk up"

No you don't just "bulk up" by lifting weights, esp if you're a woman. Its a very specific and intentional process that doesn't happen by accident. Even MEN have trouble trying to gain muscle and they have testosterone. It takes months and months of deliberate heavy lifting to even begin to see good results.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options

You will not bulk up - you cannot gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficit. On top of that it is extremely difficult to gain muscle even when you are trying, and for a woman its even extra difficult because we don't have the level of testosterone that men do. And it takes a long time so it won't happen accidentally either.

I repeat, you will NOT BULK.

I started weight training (New Rules of Lifting for Women) in November and I have dropped a dress size with very little scale weight lost. Its the best thing I ever did! Honestly - all women should lift heavy.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    Options

LIFTING (HEAVY) WEIGHTS WILL NOT MAKE YOU BULK UP!
    DO NOT BE AFRAID OF WEIGHTS AND GAINING MUSCLE!
    "TONE" IS A 4 LETTER WORD!

OK, I feel much better now. :bigsmile:

Seriously though, you will not bulk up by lifting weights. Example: before I started lifting weights I did only cardio. I weighed 135# and fit into a size 4. 4 years after starting to lift, I am now 8-10 pounds heavier and still fit into a size 4. Clearly, I did not bulk up!
  • twinmuma
    Options
    what is lift heavy? Am starting to do 3-4 sets of 13-15 reps at a weight that is like 33 lbs. And that's tough for me...
  • LeanButNotMean44
    Options
    what is lift heavy? Am starting to do 3-4 sets of 13-15 reps at a weight that is like 33 lbs. And that's tough for me...

What body part are you working? Biceps? Back? Legs? Shoulders?
  • twinmuma
    Options
    Well yesterday I worked the back and chest and shoulders. You know to lose that undersarm wave...

I have a lot of muscle in my legs (from years of dance) but on top of that muscle is a lot of inner thigh fat. That's why I was worried about buling up. My legs are quite muscular already. And I think cardio combined with weights I can lose that fat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's possible you;ll have saggy skin no matter what you do. And it's possible you won't. No way to tell.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    There's no way to know for certain, but to lessen the chance, stay hydrated/drink lots of water, use lotions/vitamin e and lift!
    Lifting's not hard, there are tons and tons of ways to learn form. Use very light weights to start. Learn proper form, like when you squat, look forward to keep your back straight and don't let you knees go past your toes. The more you look into it, the easier it is to understand
    And much easier if you have someone to ask in person. So if you have a gym, don't be afraid to ask someone who doesn't look busy, or better yet, the staff or a trainer.

ETA: Don't work the same muscle groups two days in a row. You should leave 24-48 hours so your muscles can rest. I like lifting for every part of my body a few times a week, other do it every day, but target just certain muscles. Figure out what works for you.
    IF YOU HURT, STOP
    I myself have not lifted since Friday, because I upped my weights too quickly and my arms HURT so bad. I'll probably start again today, but with less weight, maybe tomorrow. I'm not hurting anymore.

Listen to your body, don't over work it, give it rest :)
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Greetings! No need to fear bulking up. That would only happen if you lift heavy, consume a lot of protein and some illegal substances.

A good option to learn weight lifting exercises is to start with resistance bands. You can do the same exercises with less risk of injury.