Saunas, Weight Loss, and Exercise

Options
Does anyone know if there are any legitimate weight loss benefits of going to a sauna? Are there any beneficial side effects of going post weight training? Cardio?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    None that I am aware of unless you find benefit in sweating out additional fluids.
  • Relle3
    Relle3 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Im not too sure. I mainly do cardio and weight train.

13418731.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    the only benefit I've noted is being able to stay warm....helps for stretching....but for weight loss?? none \m/
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who just ordered himself a sauna (!) called a far infrared sauna. He is rail thin, a serious cyclist, and trains with weights during the winter. He has no need to lose weight. He's 6'1" and around 175 pounds, and eats like a horse. I know he's buying it because he thinks he'll benefit from sitting in the heat and sweating out toxins. But I clicked on the link he sent me and the site makes some ridiculous claims about how you can burn 600 calories in a half hour in the sauna or some such bunk. I sure hope people don't fall for that stuff.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Well, some people may find the heat soothing/relaxing post-exercise, but if you've got a specific spot that needs heat, you'll probably do better with a heating pad (but neither for a brand-new injury; start with ice).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I thought that post cardio could screw with your blood pressure, but I heard that a while ago. I used to love the sauna, but don't have any access to one anymore.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Well, you do not burn calories sitting in a sauna, other than your RMR. You do sweat out fluids, which leads to a loss of water weight. And it can help soothe sore muscles post-workout. But aside from that, there are no real fitness benefits.