Salad Dressing?

Options
13»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling between knowing that low cal has chemical crap in it and knowing that full fat has a lot of calories.

What do you use and why?
    I mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and horseradish mustard. Because it's tasty.

Ooh, that sounds good!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I use what I want and log it. :) Fit it in and enjoy that salad!
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I really want to start making my own. I eat enough salad that I would save a ton of money without having to buy dressing, haha.

My favorites are Bolthouse yogurt caesar and Annie's Green Goddess Lite.. Love Marzetti's simply dressed line too!
  • wonders13
    Options
    I make mine with 2 ingredients.

1 tablespoon of light salad dressing
    1/2 teaspoon ketchup

23 calories and yummy. :)
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are needlessly scared of making their own vinaigrette. It is very simple, takes seconds, is healthier and tastes better than the bottled stuff! Just combine ingredients (1 part oil to 2-3 parts acid such as lemon juice or vinegar) and wisk thoroughly. If you want a really creamy vinaigrette, combine ingredients in a blender.

I typically make a vinaigrette with lemon (or other citrus) juice and olive oil; I love to add zaatar, salt, and pepper to it. For Mexican or taco salads I'll use lime juice and the same herbs and spices I cook Mexican food with (cumin, chili powder, cilantro).

I also have a wonderful store near me that specializes in olive oils and balsamic vinegars - they have lots of fun flavors to try. I used to hate bottled balsamic vinaigrette, but now I make my own using a flavored one. My favorite has been strawberry balsamic with basil olive oil, plus a touch of lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Try to find a similar store and experiment with what they have.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I make my own:

0.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    0.5 tbsp water
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 clove minced garlic
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    pinch of brown sugar
    salt and pepper

Shake it up and enjoy. Less than 100 cals and so delicious. I usually don't need to use it all either. Doesn't taste like that low cal chemical crap.
  • mariej308
    Options
    I just discovered Walden Farms Dressing too. At the moment I have just tried one bottle of the thousand island, because I thought for sure it would not be good.After trying tons of other fat frees, low carbs and lites,( I just couldn`t eat them. I'd rather have nothing,or alot less of original ) I found this one very tasty. I will definately try other flavors from them.This bottle came from Walmart, but not all Walmarts carry them. Also I was told that Safeway has them, again , maybe not all of them carry the brand.It is amazing how "normal" it tastes, considering there is no calories, carbs, sugars etc.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    i started using balsamic vinegar and olive oil. very tasty and a lot healthier than ranch, also lower calorie
  • Focusisfab
    Options
    I freeze lemons and grate them peel and all on my salads, veggies & just about everything!!! Taste great!!!