Grapefruit

Options
Anyone have any healthy ways to sweeten grapefruit? I don't do artificial sweetners but I don't want to kill my calories with sugar....

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    stevia maybe?

i never use to like grape fruit but my dad bought some and he needed help eating them before they went bad so i said ah heck i'll eat one and i actually liked it! now i have half a grape fruit for breakfast every day. If you get them when they're good and ripe they are actually very good.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon of sugar is around 16 calories I really wouldn't get too hung up on that
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I was always told that salt makes it taste sweeter.

Sounds gross to me though.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    A quickie under the broiler. The heat makes it taste sweeter.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon of sugar is around 16 calories I really wouldn't get too hung up on that

^^That. I use 2 single-serve packets on every grapefruit (one for each half), and I can guarantee I never miss the 25-30 calories.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Buy ripe grapefruit. Or use sugar.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Or eat an orange instead.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I don't sweeten grapefruit. The Rio Star Grapefruit that I buy from Sam's are oh so sweet.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Buy pink grapefruits! Way sweeter.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Pink Grapefruit is nice.. red grapefruit is the best!
  • autumn_skye
    autumn_skye Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Ruby red grapefruit with a small sprinkle of stevia is relish! I use less than a half a packet on an entire grapefruit
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I buy ruby red grapefruit and don't find they need added sweetness. My dad would add a little salt to make grapefruit sweeter.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Hmm, I don't know. I never feel the need to sweeten grapefruit. The ruby red I buy are pretty sweet. Maybe try Stevia in the Raw? Or a little sprinkle of sugar? A little bit should go a long way...
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    Yes, actually I don't do artificial sweeteners either. I take a half grapefruit and very slowly drizzle a very thin line of honey over the top. You can put about one teaspoonful (20) calories, all over the top. Honey is good for you. Better than refined sugar. Ever tried Agave nectar?? That's good too! :heart: