Stronglifts for women

Options
Ok, so I've read the plan and I'm on board. I believe men's exercises work for women, I'm not afraid to bulk up or whatever, I just wanna get stronger.

In fact, I am so weak now I can't even pick up a 45lbs barbell, let alone with extra weights, or pushing or pulling it anywhere.

I daresay the original numbers may be different for women.. has anyone tried this, or does anyone know how i could modify the plan to start much easier?

I'd be happy if I can do 60 at the END of the first 12 weeks.. anyone with some advice?

Replies

• LovenderNurse
    LovenderNurse Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you are. I just began lifting 2 weeks ago. Right now I've only been using 10-15lb weights, but I do believe I'm ready to graduate to 20lb weights this week. I think making sure you are using proper form is more important than starting out heavy. Use whatever weight you feel comfortable with while still being a challenge towards the end of your set. I like to begin with 3 sets of 12, if I can complete my set without any struggle then I know I need to add more weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    .... some advice?

Get started. The numbers you use to start won't matter one whit 12 weeks from now. Start with whatever you feel comfortable with and add weight each week
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.)

good start- good for you. this is a step in the right direction.

2.)
    these are not "men's exercises" they are just exercises. There is no men or woman's exercises. none of them inheiriently require a penis or vagina to complete the movement.

3.)
    unless you are eating at a calorie surplus- you will not bulk.

4.)
    strength gains /=/ size gains. (this ties into # 3)
    you will get STRONGER even at a deficit- but you won't get BIGGER- esp as a woman- it's really REALLY hard to do (laughable hard actually compared to what some women THINK it takes)

5.)
    FORM FORM FORM. This means- get a broom stick- or a pcv pipe. "Heavy" is not a number- heavy is a rep range-and before you can go heavy- you must go RIGHT. So start with the pipe- or broom stick.

The weight you add on will be up to you- and use as small of plates as you need. There is no rush- weight lifting can be a life long very fufilling hobby/sport if you take the time. by time I mean years. Seriously- most people cycle through 6-8 MONTHS of training/food things.

work at your level and no one else's!!!

Feel free to ask more questions. we are here to help!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    1.)

good start- good for you. this is a step in the right direction.

2.)
    these are not "men's exercises" they are just exercises. There is no men or woman's exercises. none of them inheiriently require a penis or vagina to complete the movement.

3.)
    unless you are eating at a calorie surplus- you will not bulk.

4.)
    strength gains /=/ size gains. (this ties into # 3)
    you will get STRONGER even at a deficit- but you won't get BIGGER- esp as a woman- it's really REALLY hard to do (laughable hard actually compared to what some women THINK it takes)

5.)
    FORM FORM FORM. This means- get a broom stick- or a pcv pipe. "Heavy" is not a number- heavy is a rep range-and before you can go heavy- you must go RIGHT. So start with the pipe- or broom stick.

The weight you add on will be up to you- and use as small of plates as you need. There is no rush- weight lifting can be a life long very fufilling hobby/sport if you take the time. by time I mean years. Seriously- most people cycle through 6-8 MONTHS of training/food things.

work at your level and no one else's!!!

Feel free to ask more questions. we are here to help!
    This, so much, this.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    oh- and Good luck!

okay- edit- but good luck- I mean- good hard work and determination- none of this is luck. LOL
  • KeairaSedai
    KeairaSedai Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good to see so much support. I do suppose I should pick a weight that at least feels like a challenge?

I guess if I pick something I can throw around it won't work.. but then what.. should I not be able to lift it another time at the end of the set, or still feel ok?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Good to see so much support. I do suppose I should pick a weight that at least feels like a challenge?

I guess if I pick something I can throw around it won't work.. but then what.. should I not be able to lift it another time at the end of the set, or still feel ok?

do you know how to properly DO the thing?

If the answer is yes- get confirmation (Because all in all you're most likely wrong or need tweaking)

if the answer is NO... than NO- keep doing form work.

Just because it's super easy- doesn't mean you can't work form. I can lift triple digits of everything. I have a bar only technique day where I work form.

Oly lifting is a little different- and it's harder to learn certain things with a completely light bar- but power lifting- it's very easy to go through the motions feeling where your body needs to be generating power. I love practicing dead lifting and squats- you can REALLY really generate some force when you aren't doing the "work". It's just a totally different feel.

Work with the bar. Take some video- compare yourself to other form work videos (there are several excellent tutorials.)
    post a form check somewhere.

You never stop working technique- I'm a intermediate lifter at this point and I still do form work. It never is wrong.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you are having issues with the bar, maybe consider doing the dumbbell versions of the barbell exercises until you work up to 45lbs and then start using the bar and plates from there?
  • KeairaSedai
    Options
    Good suggestions. You're right, I have not done these exercises before, only watched videos and instructions. I suppose I can do both, practice form on the barbell (if nothing else with a broomstick ^^) exercises and, while I don't own a barbell yet practice dumbbell versions which I do have.. until my salary comes in and I can afford some barbells.

Suppose I can also go to the gym, but I've got to admit I feel silly there and the stuff is always in use.

And thanks for the group mention, had no idea it existed.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you're basing your "weakness" on the fact that you can't take a 45-lb barbell off the floor and put it on a squat rack? I deadlift 180 lbs, and still, I have to take a deep breath before I grab a 45-lb plate from the floor and hang it on the barbell.

"Picking up" 45-lbs off the floor and carrying it around is a completely different story than squatting, deadlifting, or even benching the 45-lb bar.

You may be pleasantly shocked by how much you can actually lift. Good luck and have fun!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you're having issues starting with just the bar then you can either start with those body bars that some gyms have (anywhere from 9-25 pounds in my gym) those can be used for squats

there is also the option of the shorter bar barbell that has the same thickness as a standard oly bar, but is shorter. this bar is 25 pounds instead of the standard 25. in order to get the bar to the correct height for deadlift you'll either all the raise up the sides or use the 5 pound bumper plates

for things like ohp, bent rows and bench press you could always use dumbbells

and i defintely agree with the person who said form is a continual improvement process. i've been lifting for 20+ years, some of those years spent competing - and i'm still learning form improvements. as your body changes throughout the years and you more mobility in some areas, less in other areas (bigger and rounder body parts for some of us :laugh: ) then you will always find yourself adjusting your form
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I would suggest working on form first...form, form, form, form. Ultimately, the weight should be very challenging for you to lift in order to progress...but you need form first and foremost.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As AngelsFan9110 says - it's very different with the bar on your back.
    I could probably JUST lift 155lb off the floor, then over my head on to my back - doubt I'd get it back to the front over my head again..
    Yet in a squat rack I now lift this up with my shoulders for my WARM UP and it feels like I've just got a bit of a heavy backpack on or something - ok, if I kept squatting, I'd probably get tired fairly quickly, but it's barely noticeable compared to the full weight I go for which has peaked at around twice that for 5 reps.

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with starting light and focusing on form. I believe stronglifts is like starting strength in that they both suggest progressing pretty quickly, but starting light to focus on form. So there's no problem at all finding a lighter bar if you can - a 1" bar maybe or some set-weight barbells and using that to start with if you do find that the bar it's self is pushing it a bit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

let's not overthink this. pick a weight and get started. as long as you're increasing the weight weekly, eventually it will be plenty challenging. and in the meantime you'll be getting your form down pat as well as giving your tendons and ligaments a chance to adapt to the rigors of lifting.

go lift something
    go lift anything
    go lift
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Good suggestions. You're right, I have not done these exercises before, only watched videos and instructions. I suppose I can do both, practice form on the barbell (if nothing else with a broomstick ^^) exercises and, while I don't own a barbell yet practice dumbbell versions which I do have.. until my salary comes in and I can afford some barbells.

Suppose I can also go to the gym, but I've got to admit I feel silly there and the stuff is always in use.

And thanks for the group mention, had no idea it existed.

you only feel silly because you aren't comfortable doing what you need to be doing. once you get used to doing THE THING... you realize it's okay- and you can go do what you need to do.

If you can't afford a squat rack and BB/plate set at home- the gym is the most viable option because it' provides access to all this stuff. I do tech work with an unloaded bar at the squat rack. I'll share if need by- but there is no shame at all with BAR only work.

seriously.

so do the work at home- do the practice/tech work. Work with dumbells for strength as you can- but if you want to go to the gym- do your homework- go with a plan (and a back up plan so you don't stand there like an *kitten* trying to figure out what to do if Plan A doesn't work)
    learn to ask completre strangers (practice at home if you must) "how many more sets do you have" and if it's a calbe type machine how many sets or can I work in with you?

You pay to go there- you can share/use equipment.
  • KeairaSedai
    Options
    Never heard so much positive support on a topic on MFP before, haha. Always somebody telling you.. No don't do that!

Good thing is that I guess this is actually a smart thing to do. Form it is, I'll work on that till I got it right, then increase slowly.

I do suppose carrying something on your back is easier than picking it up, but I guess for deadlifts you still need to pick it up ^^ Then again I suppose that's why squat weight can be higher than the others... It's starting to make sense.. now just to do it..
  • KeairaSedai
    Options

let's not overthink this. pick a weight and get started. as long as you're increasing the weight weekly, eventually it will be plenty challenging. and in the meantime you'll be getting your form down pat as well as giving your tendons and ligaments a chance to adapt to the rigors of lifting.

go lift something
    go lift anything
    go lift

Ha I like that. *lifts up her cat and watches it jump away* Ok.. maybe not that. But I get the picture. Stop thinking and start doing, or I'm like to only work my brains.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    heh...

fyi
    Dead lifts are typically your heavier lift
    squats second
    bench
    then Over head press

typically.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member