never been able to gain weight

Options
Hi I'm using my gf account to post this

I'm 21 5 Ft 10 and 118 pounds I have not gained weight in years and was wondering if it could be to do with the fact I used to eat **** food when young and growing up plus from around 15 drank a mass amount of energy drinks a day (red bull etc) I have recently started to try bulking by eating every few hours foods such as pasta and chicken etc and cutting out all sugar which I can I have gained a little but am worried it may be water weight as some call it

Do you think eating rubbish and drinking so many caffeinated drinks could of been the cause ?

That I will eventually gain weight after a while of eating like this ?

Any one else had any problems like this ?

And any advice ?????

Thanks j

Replies

• ainokea8
    Options
    Eating junk food and drinking caffeinated drinks actually leads to weight gain for most people.
    I think you're unable to gain weight because you naturally have a fast metabolism. I have one too. You can make yourself protein shakes in order to bulk up on the calories and aside from your exercises try not to burn any calories so limit your other activities and rest as much as you can. Also, eat every 2 hours
  • lucygfield94
    lucygfield94 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I didnt eat a huge amount on a day so if I had junk food eg takeaway it would be my only meal of the day should this still of made me fat ?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what's your goal? besides put on weight?

IF that's the only goal- drink more milk- more ice cream and more peanut butter. So- bigger spoon.
  • ainokea8
    Options
    I didnt eat a huge amount on a day so if I had junk food eg takeaway it would be my only meal of the day should this still of made me fat ?

no because you're only eating once per day so that probably only added up to a 1000 calories or so.

The point is to eat more calories (at least 500 more calories) than what you normally eat in aday. An excess of 3500 calories a week=weight gain of 1 pound.

so for example if you normally eat 2200 calories, you want to be eating 2700 calories everyday instead.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Are you logging calories? I suspect you're simply not eating enough calories. Clearly you have a high metabolism, so your maintenance requirements are higher than other people the same size, but it's still a matter of calories- if you find your maintenance, and you eat more than that, you will gain weight.

I would start logging food using MFP and documenting your weight, and after doing this for a while you will be able to determine your maintenance needs and fine tune your diet to purposefully gain weight.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to gain weight why are you cutting sugar? you aren't eating enough its as simple as that..
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Are you logging calories? I suspect you're simply not eating enough calories. Clearly you have a high metabolism, so your maintenance requirements are higher than other people the same size, but it's still a matter of calories- if you find your maintenance, and you eat more than that, you will gain weight.

I would start logging food using MFP and documenting your weight, and after doing this for a while you will be able to determine your maintenance needs and fine tune your diet to purposefully gain weight.
    Agreed.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    MASS GAINER 2000 ... follow the eric cartman diet and you will gain weight.

Guaranteed or money back
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm using my gf account to post this

Would first suggest getting your own account and using it to track your intake, as the key to most of the advice you'll get is to understand what you're eating and how that'll contribute to achieving your goals.
    I'm 21 5 Ft 10 and 118 pounds I have not gained weight in years

I had a naturally fast metabolism and struggled to put any weight on until I moved from a job when I was on my feet all day to one where I was behind a desk a significant amount of the time... Make of that what you will.

The best thing to help with this debate is probably to be clear about what your goals are.

Are you looking to improve your physique, prepare for a specific type of job; fire, ploicing, military etc or are you looking to improve your fitness in general?

Each of those is achievable but will need a combination of understanding your diet, and doing some form of exercise, probably a mix of resistance work (weight training) and cardiovascular fitness (running, cycling, swimming or making like a hamster in a gym). The balance of resistance and CV does depend on what you want to achieve, for me it's lots of CV and some resistance, for others it's predominantly resistance with a limited amount of CV.
  • jfraser1992
    jfraser1992 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi this is my account to start tracking now
  • jfraser1992
    jfraser1992 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its for the military do you think 3000 calories plus a day will work ?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

What calorie goal did MFP give you when you entered that you wanted to gain weight?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

There are a few military preparation groups on here, so it's worth searching them out and checking what they say. In terms of background I'm former military and have done a couple of jobs in recruitment and training, so I've got some insight into what's expected.

What branch of service are you looking at? That tailors the answer slightly, but not a huge amount.

Essentially in basic training you're looking at being able to run for long periods carrying a decent load, so you need to include a fair amount of CV work in your programme, as well as some strength training to maximise your upper body strength, and to bulk up a bit.

The core of any programme is going to have to be running, if you already run then that's good, if not then start. To perform well in training I'd suggest getting up to consistently doing about 25 miles per week, including at least one 6-8 mile session. Don't worry about running under load, unless you've got the right kit you'll end up carrying an injury, so if you get your core running down then you can build on that in training. For running you'll end up in fighting order and carrying a weapon system, when you start to load up to daysac and bergen you'll be walking, although perhaps at pace.

As far as upper body strength is concerned, you're interested in functional strength. So it's stuff like lifting a loaded bergen into the back of a wagon, lifting ammunition or crates, or carrying loads for short distances. Similarly carrying weapon systems, which are somewhat lighter, but for long periods of time. For that you need to look at bodyweight exercise initially, google You Are Your Own Gym. Once you've established a base strength you can move into weight training using free weights.

Once you've planned your training, then work out what you need to eat to support that.

As far as intake is concerned, to put it in perspective, recruits at the Commando Training Centre, Royal Marines consume about 4000-5000 cals per day in four meals. But they're being thrashed for most of their time there.

The advice to RM recruits is to reach the stage where they're running pretty much every day. The Commando tests culminate in the 30 Mile march across Dartmoor in patrol order. So your CV training is key to success.