How to rid belly fat

Options
Was wondering on any ideas of getting rid of belly fat? Ugh.....

Replies

• TamekaBohorquez
    TamekaBohorquez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to ever get rid of the muffin top?
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    my question too. i don't know. i think if it happens it will take forever. i've read strength training and of course the cardio will help, but if you're already at your goal weight, you will lose more pounds and it may not be from that area.

i'm going to try low fat cooking and see if that helps.

anyone?
  • beahawk
    beahawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, we can't spot reduce. You would just have to continue on your weightloss journey. You have to work at decreasing your entire bodyfat and that happens through eating the healthy foods, strength training, and cardio.
  • nroesler
    Options
    Spot reducing is not possible.,....you can't tell your body where to lose weight. But cardio is the main thing that will help you lose inches, and strength training helps you build muscle in that area. Just keep running/jogging/stepping/ellipticaling/aerobicing and you will see changes
  • tamara003
    Options
    Alot of people think sit up will loose your mid section but the truth is resistance training and cardi will get rid of your muffin to, also where you loose the weight you can not pick those areas, your body has that control. I heard that the stomach is the last place that looses weight. Just hang in there and keep up the journey with diet and exercises, and we will get there. I wish you all the best.

:tongue:
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Fat is in a layer all over our bodies. It's true that every different person stores fat differently, but when you lose fat through diet and exercise, it comes off of your entire body, not just from one place.

You can't lose fat from one place unless you do it surgically. If you want to avoid the expense, pain, and risk of the knife, then just focus on diet and exercise and the fat will come off.

BTW, it's almost always true that the place you want to lose fat from will be the last place to lean out. That's just the way it is.
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    strength training, lots of protein, cardio, jogging, interval training, 5 meals a day, cut right down on fat and sugar intake, body scrub and firming lotion.. lots of hard work and its always the last thing to go is what ive learnt!! :p
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    I heard the areas where the body packs fat on are the areas that shed weight first. Is this not true?
  • bigchick
    Options
    Do not eliminate carbohydrates, just cut back on them. You will notice the first place you lose weight, just by reducing your carb intake, is your belly! Try eating complex carbs more for breakfast and lunch ,but very little carbs at dinner. Im not saying you will get abs or a super flat stomach by doing this alone, but by eating less carbs, maybe half or less of what you usually do, you will definitly notice that is the first place you lose weight.

I will eat a very high fibre breakfast which usually means a lot of carbs, but then my carb for lunch will be fruits, or sometimes weight watchers bread, or whole grain rye bread.. and then i will not eat carbs at dinner. You eat carbs for energy, and at dinner time, with only a few hours left in the day so your body really doesnt need them.

Hope this helps, it worked for me :)

But like others said.. cardio and resistance training! cardio is the one true way to lose weight all over, and monitoring your calorie intake.. I have tried every fad diet out there just to lose 20-25lbs and I have finally found one that works... counting calories and exercising regularily (5-6 X a week) and I am only 8lbs away from my goal weight of 142lbs! I am 5'9", i want to be lean with some muscle definition. but reducing carbs really does allow you to lose weight in your belly section... just never eliminate them!
  • txchic_73
    txchic_73 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to ever get rid of the muffin top?

I have always heard CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO. I try to eat healthy, and I have done Jillian Michael's Workout DVD - No More Trouble Zones, which targets those muffin tops, saddle bags, love handles, bat wings (arm fat) etc. It is a 40 min workout and is very intense but you can get thru it. The DVD cost $9 at WalMart so it is very inexpensive. Right now I am doing the 30 Day Shred to see how I do on it. Belly fat is all I really need to get rid of. After this I will go back to the No More Trouble Zones because it targets all those troubled areas. Good luck to you!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Everyone over-complicates this stuff.

You're already on MFP, so just follow your numbers. The only one that really matters is calories.

Do cardio and lift weights. Cardio helps you burn calories, and weights build muscles that tighten the skin and improve everything about you.

That's it. That's all you have to think about. No quick fixes, and no complicated equations to follow.

1. eat at or around your calorie goal.
    2. exercise.
    3. repeat every day for as long as it takes.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I heard the areas where the body packs fat on are the areas that shed weight first. Is this not true?

this isn't necessarily true. There are a lot of factors involved, density of the fat stored, proximity to your blood vessels, type of energy requirements, % of FFM in the body, genetics, age, height, activity level, sex...etc. all of these go into how your body mobilizes fat stores. And each and every one of us is different, the only constants really, are that a proper nutritional diet that is at a caloric deficit, and exercise to maintain muscle and bone mass while triggering fat burn are the only two things that have been proven to be wholly effective for fat loss. Well, that and liposuction I guess.
  • lefrance12
    Options
    Totally agree with Tate.. There is no quick fix, only hard work, proper diet and regular exercise. Good Luck!!
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Can't spot train, the muscles don't own the fat around them. Cardio is the best fat burner. I use the elliptical machine an hour a day. When I was doing PiYo (combo pilates and Yoga) I wasn't just burning fat, I was tightening the core ab muscles which flattened my abs and gave my midriff a much leaner appearance. Try pilates & yoga, but remember your cardio :flowerforyou:
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Have you tried interval cardio? I asked the same question and was linked to a blog entry by a MFP member (I did not save the link though!) who tried it and didn't lose "weight" but "inches" instead! I have started adding race walking intervals whenever I go for a walk. Do about 3 minutes of regular walking pace (able to hold a conversation) then 2 minutes of race walking (fast enough to not be able to have a normal conversation).
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    I have been counting my calories and walking my a** off for 3 weeks. Nothing fancy, just brisk walking an hour to an hour and a half, 4 or 5 days a week. I've only lost 4 lbs, but I have lost 1.25 inches off my waist. Obviously this is going to take awhile, but the muffin top is on its way out the door! Yahoo!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I have been counting my calories and walking my a** off for 3 weeks. Nothing fancy, just brisk walking an hour to an hour and a half, 4 or 5 days a week. I've only lost 4 lbs, but I have lost 1.25 inches off my waist. Obviously this is going to take awhile, but the muffin top is on its way out the door! Yahoo!

4 pounds in 3 weeks for someone only 21 lbs from goal is just about right.