Allergy hell...how to work out when cant breathe

Options
I am so sick of Mountain cedar. Itchy eyes, dripping and congested nose, raspy voice, sneeze sneeze drip drip itch clog. Hard to work out when your nose is useless as an airway and you are taking ZyrtecD like skittles

Replies

• AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I take Quercetin/Bromelain vitamins (brand is Doctor's Best) that help me out A LOT with allergies. I was also poppy allergy pills like candy when I first started taking these. I get mine from Amazon.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I wonder is a carbon lined face mask might help put on before you go out, this presupposes you are able to keep your home free of the pollen. I have problems with "chemicals". I have also found a portable ioniser which is smell free and somehow manages to nab pollen and other pollutants which penetrate my home, it is expensive ish but in relation to others I have seen it is 1/3 of the price.

Please contact me if you would like to know more
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm lifting weights with cold or allergies I can breathe better then before I started, in fact almost perfect but eventually after I stop I go back to not being able to breathe. This is when I'm lifting, not doing cardio. I never try cardio when I have a cold or allergies because I'm usually on some type of meds and they already cause elevated heart rate, dont need anything extra increasing my heart rate.

I also tuck tissue in my bra in case I need it.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've had allergies issues all my life. I have been on Claritin for as long as I can remember and prescribed nose sprays here and there. I went to an allergist a few months ago and went through the testing again and not really surprised I'm allergic to everything! Lol And Vegas is well known for allergies. He suggested I try a Neti Pot and in the beginning I did it daily but now I am down to about three times a week and I haven't anything for my allergies, prescription or otherwise.

I'm not sure how severe your allergies were in comparison to mine but trying it might help alleviate some of your symptoms.

I definitely notice a difference on the days I have AM workouts and I don't use the pot. I have a much harder time with cardio and breathing versus the days I use it.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't know about others, but it's when I really start getting into my cardio that my congestion clears right up! I think it's something to do with the increased blood flow.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    mostly i have to use an inhaler before i get on the elliptical. i have asthma. i know the feeling of not being able to breathe. and even with the inhaler some days i know im not breathing too well i better not even get on that machine. and try to take it easy on the treadmill or bike.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Try an immediate use inhaler.

I think the one I use is called beclovent.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    UGH me too! Nothing is helping! I managed to run through it yesterday but today I am resting for sure.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think the mountain cedar is way worse in Texas this year. Achoo.
  • samspam1023
    samspam1023 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The juniper is insane this year. I've lived in New Mexico for 12 years, and these are the worst allergies (and earliest-starting) yet.

My allergies are awful when I wake up in the morning, which used to be my favorite time to work out. I don't have asthma issues as much as that my nose is constantly running, I chain sneeze, and my whole face itches. My Allegra kicks in about 9 am (while I'm at work) and works until about 6pm (when I get home from work). Then at night I'm back to feeling miserable.

I'm hoping my doctor can get me some stronger meds, but until then what would you recommend for exercise? I like to walk on my lunch hour, but I have nowhere to shower at my job so I don't want to work up too much of a sweat.