Dairy Free Product Suggestions

Options
I've had a dairy product sensitivity my whole life and recently I'm getting to the point where my stomach can't handle it anymore. I recently came across almond milk in vanilla flavoring because I don't like regular almond milk.. I guess cause I grew up on dairy my whole life, making the change over is a bit frustrating. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on things like soy cheeses and other products that won't kill my stomach every time I try to enjoy like a grilled cheese sandwich or a bowl of cereal.

Replies

• geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend is lactose and gluten intolerant. She's a big fan of Daiya cheese, and she's been cooking out of the book "The Healthy Gluten Free Life" without any further GI problems. That book is dairy free, gluten free, soy, egg, etc etc.

She likes Daiya cheese because its the only thing that melts the way normal cheese does
  • hlopez_
    hlopez_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest almond, soy, or rice milk. If you must have cheese then try raw goat cheese yes it's dairy but the lactose is reduced during the fermentation process. I personally don't suggest eating dairy since it's high in fat and an animal protein source, but your choice. Also try some almond cheeses.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast is a flake you shake onto stuff. It's not a melting cheese-like product, but will give a cheese flavor to pastas and other items.

Almond milk doesn't have that inherent sweetness of cow's milk, so I understand where she's coming from. I put a little vanilla protein powder in my almond milk to sweeten up and get a little extra protein boost. I don't make a full blown protein drink, I just use a little powder to give it some flavor.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Daiya cheese and cream cheese
    So Delicious yogurt and Ice cream
    Braggs Nutritional Yeast (kind like parm)
    God Karma Flax
    or Tempt Hemp Milk
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The ONLY non-dairy "cheese" I've liked out of the ones I've tried is Daiya shreds! So good! It can't be expected to taste exactly like cheese, but you learn to love it. All of the other ones I've tried were awful... so awful that I'd rather skip the cheese altogether without a substitute.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream is excellent. It also makes great onion dip!

The Tofutti brand cream cheese is also quite good mixed into things (I like putting some in tomato sauce to create a creamy pink pasta sauce), but I have yet to try it alone on a bagel.

Trader Joe's shredded soy cheese blend is the only one we use for things like pizza and mac & cheese.

Silk brand soy milk is also very good - I like the chocolate. Personally, I like it better than almond milk.

Cashew cream is easy to make and very versitile! I put it on top of chili, in ravioli and use it as a base for some dips and sauces.
  • Stephyyy03
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! You've all been so helpful, can't wait to venture out to the food store once this blizzard is over with! :)
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with dairy but I have heard that some people with milk allergies do okay with goats milk and products made from it. Have you tried that?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've had a dairy product sensitivity my whole life and recently I'm getting to the point where my stomach can't handle it anymore. I recently came across almond milk in vanilla flavoring because I don't like regular almond milk.. I guess cause I grew up on dairy my whole life, making the change over is a bit frustrating. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on things like soy cheeses and other products that won't kill my stomach every time I try to enjoy like a grilled cheese sandwich or a bowl of cereal.

Is a lactose or casein problem? If it's just a lactose issue, Lactaid makes fabulous ice cream. I'll concur on others' assessments of Tofutti Better than Sour Cream and Cream Cheese, also Daiya shreds. If it is just lactose, you can also eat any cheese that's aged more than 30 days - the lactose ages out of it. I make grilled cheese sandwiches with extra sharp cheddar. I like soy milk also. I make my own yogurt with Lactose free milk as well.