Nobody's Fault but Mine

Options
I think I have been saying "I am gonna lose weight" since 2008. It's 2014. I've only gained. I wish I had some tale of life long obesity, or weight gain after injury or something. The truth is I'm lazy and I like to eat a lot of unhealthy stuff. I was totally normal sized until my 20's.

I've tried the fad stuff, I've tried gimmicky stuff- pills, ACV, fruit flush, whole30, lots of it. None of it worked for me. Does it work for anyone?

I tried cardio. I hate it. Running makes me feel miserable. Maybe I haven't given it enough tries but oh god do I hate it. I've tried cardio classes. Still hate it. I like riding bikes, but I hate stationary bikes.

So on one of my internet searches to fix everything that's wrong with me, I came across an article outlining the benefits of weight lifting. Thought I'd give that a shot. AWESOME. I love it. It's hard, but not as monotonous as cardio. I actually look forward to lifting sessions, it's pretty cool. Never thought I'd feel this way about exercise.

I still eat waaaaayyyyyy too much. I binge on weekends, I binge when I'm depressed, I binge when I'm stoned, I binge when I'm drunk, I binge when I eat straight out of a container. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day but it's over 2000 and probably sometimes as high as 5000 on weekends.

So I am here. Hoping that I can learn some more stuff about lifting(I've only been at it a few weeks), hoping that I can mend my relationship with food, hoping that I can develop some better coping mechanisms. There is a long list of stuff that needs fixing.

My bf% is in the mid 30's. That grosses me out. By belly sticks out further than my boobs. Gross. My thighs are the main host of my body fat and holy crap they are massive! I can grab handfuls of fat without touching muscle.

I want to lose around 40 pounds. Maybe less. Maybe more.

Also, I wanna see if I can get this done without any traditional type cardio. All my friends say I'm crazy if I think just lifting weights will make me slimmer.

thats-all-folks.jpg

Replies

• 2RobD
    2RobD Posts: 33
    Options
    Good luck...but weight lifting alone won't lower your weight....diet is important too.......start logging your food and watch what you eat.
    Then lift away.
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Spend a few days logging, you may get addicted, like the rest of us.

I used to 'binge eat' when i was drunk, so i got rid of all the chips and chocolate in my house so that it was much more difficult.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Try running again. I used to hate it too even though it was something I had always wanted to try. I waited until I was in my early 50s(!) and now I love it. Couch 2 5K changed my life. Full disclosure - I didn't lose a pound just running but then when I added MFP it started falling off. I WISH I would have started running when I was in my mid-30s. If you have to you can join a beginners group at a running store. Just do it. Don't let the years tick by like I did.
  • johnny7625
    Options
    Hi i know it not easy but try to change your habits you can consume food in moderate quantities but try to eat healthy I lost weight just by changing my habits and please don't say that you are gross you have to love yourself I realize that's our biggest mistake is to think we are ugly because we are different one suggestion is to take zumba classes it's really nice you will sweat like a horse :) and it's fun.
  • Shynique37
    Shynique37 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi i know it not easy but try to change your habits you can consume food in moderate quantities but try to eat healthy I lost weight just by changing my habits and please don't say that you are gross you have to love yourself I realize that's our biggest mistake is to think we are ugly because we are different one suggestion is to take zumba classes it's really nice you will sweat like a horse :) and it's fun.

Agree!! Also, look at some of the success stories on here. Very very inspirational. First thing first please try & change your eating habits. Start low. Get rid of the sugary drinks like soda. Log in here daily for great advice. I love this site. It's inspiring me to do better.
  • mike_winter
    Options
    edited to delete
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    ^^^ oops-- had entered it under my husband's profile. Here is MY post:

I didn't love cardio in the beginning (it's hard to even WALK when you're carrying an extra 50+ pounds!) but... try different things! I started out just walking, then added some aerobics class.. but the thing I found that I just LOVED (and really helped me lose weight AND gain muscle) was swimming!! After I had lost 50lbs or so, I saw a Groupon type deal for a cardio-kickboxing class. 6 months, prior, I would have NEVER thought to be able to do it... but now, a year into doing it-- I LOVE IT! You just have to try different things and see what you like. Lifting and weight training is important, so is cardio... but most importantly is to eat less than you burn! You have to monitor your food, plan your meals and snacks... and stick with it. The combo of food + exercise will surely help you see the scale go in the right direction! And once the pounds start coming off-- it makes you want to do more!!!
    Go for it!!!!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Maybe quit getting stoned and drunk??? just a thought....
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I think I have been saying "I am gonna lose weight" since 2008. It's 2014. I've only gained. I wish I had some tale of life long obesity, or weight gain after injury or something. The truth is I'm lazy and I like to eat a lot of unhealthy stuff. I was totally normal sized until my 20's.

I've tried the fad stuff, I've tried gimmicky stuff- pills, ACV, fruit flush, whole30, lots of it. None of it worked for me. Does it work for anyone?

I tried cardio. I hate it. Running makes me feel miserable. Maybe I haven't given it enough tries but oh god do I hate it. I've tried cardio classes. Still hate it. I like riding bikes, but I hate stationary bikes.

So on one of my internet searches to fix everything that's wrong with me, I came across an article outlining the benefits of weight lifting. Thought I'd give that a shot. AWESOME. I love it. It's hard, but not as monotonous as cardio. I actually look forward to lifting sessions, it's pretty cool. Never thought I'd feel this way about exercise.

I still eat waaaaayyyyyy too much. I binge on weekends, I binge when I'm depressed, I binge when I'm stoned, I binge when I'm drunk, I binge when I eat straight out of a container. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day but it's over 2000 and probably sometimes as high as 5000 on weekends.

So I am here. Hoping that I can learn some more stuff about lifting(I've only been at it a few weeks), hoping that I can mend my relationship with food, hoping that I can develop some better coping mechanisms. There is a long list of stuff that needs fixing.

My bf% is in the mid 30's. That grosses me out. By belly sticks out further than my boobs. Gross. My thighs are the main host of my body fat and holy crap they are massive! I can grab handfuls of fat without touching muscle.

I want to lose around 40 pounds. Maybe less. Maybe more.

Also, I wanna see if I can get this done without any traditional type cardio. All my friends say I'm crazy if I think just lifting weights will make me slimmer.

thats-all-folks.jpg

You're friends are wrong. You don't need ANY exercise to slim down, but it helps. Weight training builds muscle which burns fat. If you don't like cardio, don't do it. What IS crucial is how many calories you eat. The trick is finding the calorie restriction method you can live with. What's easy for you may not be for me.

Bu if I may make a suggestion: spend one week tracking everything you eat BEFORE you make any changes. Then calculate your TDEE (scoobyworkshop.com) and see how the two figures compare.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Gee whiz, ma'am. That never occurred to me. That's definitely not something I put on the aforementioned "long list of stuff that needs fixing."

Thanks for your thought.
  • PaigeO88
    PaigeO88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hated running too when I started out. I still hate the first 2 miles of every run I do.

Do you have any outdoor cardio options available to you like hiking?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first step, wanting to change.

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=

And most definitely read this!!!
    http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/#comment-10883

Read those. Start logging religiously every day to get an idea of how much you are taking in vs how much you actually need. Get a food scale. Weigh what you are eating.

Start by making small changes. Changes that are attainable. Maybe anytime you get containers of food ration it out into smaller containers.

Most importantly, believe that you CAN do this. You are stronger than you think you are and you CAN do this. Tell yourself that often.

Small steps will help you I think. Pick one thing to start working on, nutrition or exercise.

If you hate running don't do it yet, stick with walking. Find things you love to do. Eventually once you get stronger maybe you could try a couch to 5k program. That's what I did, I hated running. Now, I love it. But you need to start off with things you LOVE doing.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Yeah, advice like this isn't really helpful. It also comes across kinda judgmental. We're all here to help and support each other even if others choose to do things that you don't think is right.

A person can still lose weight and drink beer. I'm proof. So yeah.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm not judgemental, I'm honest just like she was honest saying she did it. I have quit drinking cause yeah, I noticed it was a problem. Sorry for coming across like a B**. Seems it doesn't matter how a person posts something there is always someone out there to cut it down. I'm sorry for my post OP.