Chiropractors (your thoughts/experience wanted)

Options
This post isn't necessarily related to Fitness and Exercise (though it could be). Just curious what people's experience has been with chiropractors. I have started to see one for intense shoulder and neck pain (something chronic, not related to anything specific). In addition to the chiropractor's manipulation, I also see a physical therapist that works on muscle strengthening/posture. I think it might actually be helping, but I am still in the very early stages of treatment.

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Plan on seeing one for the rest of your life. Once you start getting adjusted it is VERY hard to stop, a different level of pain/discomfort than you have to begin with. I got in an auto accident resulting in a pinched nerve in my neck. I was TOLD it would take 2 1/2 years to have it corrected with 3 visits per week and I could only then reduce it to once every 2 weeks. Feels good but it is a serious drain on the bank account even if you have insurance. You are probably getting far more from the PT then you are the adjustments. But this is my experience and my opinion is Chiro's are quacks that steal your money.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I went to one for my SI joint issues. It was ok. Then he asked me what I had made for dinner the night before. I told him what I had made and he said, "Wow, never trust a skinny cook!!!" Pecker!!! Side note, my back hurts!!!!
  • tasha_rena
    tasha_rena Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had an injury to my back at work. One of the first things I was told by worker's comp was NOT to contact a chiropractor. I saw an orthopedic doc who sent me to PT, which helped a great, great deal (as did losing weight.) I couldn't recommend PT enough. Because so many of the chiropractors in my area have ads for HCG (or whatever it's called) diet stuff, I would personally shy away. However, I know two people with back problems who swear by their chiropractors.
  • nevadamark
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the negative experience. I use a chiropractor service but he and I have developed a plan in which care is based only on need. His philosophy is driven by root cause, which is a good thing, regardless of your discipline in the medical world. As with any medical professional, I read, I study, I exercise and I try to ask "why" before doing anything to my body, including adjustments. For me, it has always helped, but it is difficult to give a blank-check endorsement to an entire industry. Doctors probably dislike me but I am still the customer; always ask why?
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I saw one for migraines about a year ago, & he also worked on one of my hips while I was there. It was fantastic, definitely made a difference, & I hate that I can't afford to go regularly (when it started helping, my insurance declared me cured & won't cover any more visits).
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had sciatica so bad I couldn't do anything, not even sit for 5 minutes. I went to a chiropracter 2-3 times a week for a month or so, then started cutting back. I had to go 1x a week for maybe 6 months, then once a month. That was over 20 years ago. Now, I go when I "did something bad" to my back. You do NOT have to keep going forever once you go! Now, I only go when I screw up my back, or feel like I need an adjustment, maybe 4 times a year.

I also had an episode about 5 years ago, where my back was BAD. I was going 3-4 times a week. Drain the bank account. But guess what? My chiropractor gave me a set amt (WAY less then ever expected) and said come as often as you need to until we get this resolved.

I'm sure there are bad chiropractors are out there. Not all are. The good ones really don't want to see you for the rest of your life, they want to make you better.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm an ultra-marathoner (trail runner) and I see one regularly for ART, taping, generally running patch ups (i run far, on trails, I fall, etc). I like him, he's an ultra-runner, too, no-nonsense, doesn't require a contract for a gazillion appts, go when you want, plus he's affordable: he's cheaper per visit than my insurance co-pay.

If there is a specific need you have b/c of a sport or injury or whatever, ask around before choosing a chiropractor. I had one before my current one that required a contract for subsequent visits, PLUS a huge expensive evaluation before he even began. He didn't do anything different treatment-wise...well, less ART, but other than that, I saw no more benefit from his expensive services than I'm getting currently. Shop around.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I see my chiropractor at least once every other month, usually up to 2 times per month (depends on how I feel). She can spot what is wrong with me in the 10 steps back to her office with all of my clothes on (I'm 6'8" and 300 pounds, mind you) and always asks me what has changed since the last time I saw her.

Yesterday I told her I had been lifting heavy and my back hurt at the gym and when I came home, and she said, "No, that doesn't quite seem like that's what happened here. Your ____ (medical term) probably got inflamed and spread the _____ (more medical terminology)nerve, which flared out and caused the pain. That's whyyour mobility isn't limited like it would be with a pulled muscle." I then told her I started working at home and she asked how my desk and chair ergonomics were (very poor) and knew exactly what I needed to replace, how to treat my current injury and what types of exercises I can do to releive (stretching, neutral posture thoracic extensions) and what to stay away from to prevent future injuries (this visit, she didn't say I had to slow down on weights. Yay!!!). Definitely try visiting a chiro and asking a lot of questions. If they make your back feel good but don't know how to explain what they are doing or why, leave the room! The body should only be manipulated by a competent professional: when I was a kid, I had scoliosis and got into a bad car accident and saw a chiro 3 days a week. This guy didn't do anything and probably made it worse :(
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I love my chiro, without him I wouldn't be walking today, much less strength training or playing sports. I've seen one ever since I was 17, due to multiple back/neck/shoulder/rib injuries while playing rugby, and one car accident where I got a moderate case of whiplash.

It can be costly at the beginning, when you have to see them more often, but once you get out of the pain and recovery stages, and into maintenance, visits can be dropped to once a month, or once every 6 weeks, which is about what I do now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've had a variety of neck, T-spine, lumbar spine (multiple herniated discs), sciatica & SI joint issues over the years and have found:

Physiotherapists just about useless. (Some symptom improvements but didn't get to root of the problems.)
    Osteopathic treatments varied from good to great depending on treatment style.
    Chiropractic treatments were good for my neck but not the rest.

For me what works is a much longer treatment session than a chiropractor typically uses, the more muscle and deep tissue massage before joint manipulation the more effective the treatment.

Even within each discipline there is a huge variance in style and capability of the practitioner and how that suits your particular injury. Luckily I've found a wonderful Osteopath who uses massage, interferential treatment, ultrasound, physical therapy as well as joint manipulation. He's done such a good job that I've not seen him for ages......
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I had a slipped disk and I saw mine only once, disk was popped back in and I have never had a problem since. On the downside when she started I asked her if she was sure she knew what she was doing, her reply concerned me. She played polo and regularly treated the ponies the same way, apparently with all the twisting and turning they often have similar problems with their backs!
  • cmccarthy7
    Options
    I would definitely give a thumbs up to using a chiropractor. Like any type of service provider, you need to do your research, and find one that you are comfortable with. Like anything some are great, and some are not so great. BUT once you find one that is in tune with you, they are invaluable. I think my doc does an excellent job for me - my wife on the other hand, doesn't like him, but swears by one of the other docs in the practice. Again, personal preference, and the doc understanding what you need and more importantly what you dont need. Highly recommended, once you find the right one.