So i go on the treadmill 5 days a week...

Options
Monday to Friday but I only do it at 5 mph for 15 minutes on an Incline of 2.0.

I struggle to do more than 15 minutes at a time but am I going to improve and push myself further i have been doing this since January 1st but I don't feel like my fitness has improved any?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Since january 1st?

So you've done about 13 runs.
    At 15 minutes a piece.

For about 3.5 hours total time run. You're not going to see much improvement for a few more months at that level of volume.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down some - and try just a 1 percent incline.

I don't run on the treadmill a lot, but I know that when running outside, I have to slow down to run longer durations, and then when I have gotten comfortable at the longer duration, I can slowly increase my pace back to a faster one.

This was true when I went from 5 minutes to 15 minutes, and when I went from 15 to 30, and from 30 to 60, etc.
  • SaraLady89
    SaraLady89 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You could try to run for 15 minutes then walk for a few minutes then return to running for a few minutes after then after a couple of weeks up the minutes you run at the end. It might help a bit.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the same thing each week, and unable to do more. Maybe you should change what you are doing or modify it. Do 5 min @ 2% & 5.mph, then walk 2 minutes at 3 - 4mph & 0% to catch your breath, repeat. Even if you only get the 15 minutes at 5, you've still added to your workout. If your goal is to run, gradually increase the 5mph sections and leave the walk at 2min. Once you are up to 12min @ 5mph, make a new plan. Good luck! By the way the treadmill is one of the hardest pieces of cardio equippment to adjust to. Don't get discouraged.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You should not be adding an incline. Also, if you're beat after 15 minutes, try this instead: run 5min, walk 2min, run 5min, walk 2min, etc... and see if that allows you to run longer. It's a system made popular by a guy named Jeff Galloway and lots of people swear by it for making them faster ( http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/ ).

Also, 3 weeks is nothing. Being in good shape takes time and consistency. If you continue to run 5 days a week, you *will* get in better shape. But, the key to consistency is finding something you like doing. Some people just enjoy working out, but most of us need more motivation. Look around for an activity that you enjoy, so that you actually want to go exercise.
  • mark364uk
    Options
    Thank you all for your contributions it is much appreciated and i will take everything you all have said to heart.