Seriously CONFUSED.

Options
nikkihk
nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
So I've never been good at this diet thing, I mean I can restrict calories like no other... reduce carbs, fat, up protein.. whatever. But I'm tired of the seven thousand fad this and that's that claim they are the best solution to XYZ. Right now I'm doing a system that has me on a diet like this:

2 weeks of 5 days 1000 cal 1 day 1800 cal.... then 2 weeks 2 days of 1000 cal to one day of 1800 cal.... then back to 5:1 then back to 2:1... NOW in hanging out on this site I'm understanding that 1000 cal is not enough calories, but is has me bouncing between an 800 cal deficit and my maintenance calories which technically balances out to roughly 1050 a day for 14 days then 1285 for the next fourteen days... and it bounces back and forth for 12 weeks.

Now I believe my maintenance is around 1,800 according to the 10 different calculators I've used, so technically I should be around 1,300 for weight loss correct? So then am i doing myself a huge disservice with the 5:1 weeks and sending myself into starvation mode? I know a doctor would be better at answering this.. but I want to hear from REAL people with a successful strategy that can simplify this "how to eat" thing for me. I'm a believer in healthy choices, I just don't want to work against myself here.

I'm doing some cardio and more weight training (8 exercises with 3 sets of 10 reps each every other day that changes the type of exercise each day) From the people who are successfully building muscle in the kitchen? Can you give me some advice?

I have a 20-25% body fat problem I want to get down to 15%-18%, I'm weighing in at 170 (however I'm relying more on measurements then pounds) I want to lose 3-5 inches off my waist (it's at 31 now) I workout 3-4 times a week,

This calculator thing suggests my protein intake should range around 80 grams but MFP says 60... I'm trying to build/tone muscle though. GAH!! I've done so much research but everything is different, everyone has agendas, I just want a simple answer... how much of what (protein/carbs/fat/cals) do I consume throughout the day to maximize weight loss. I wish this was just a stupid question, but EVERYWHERE has a different answer.

Any help?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    My head hurts reading your diet plan.

Your macros have more to do with body composition than weight loss. To lose, you need a calorie deficit, end of story. I eat the calories given to me by MFP. Some people prefer TDEE minus 15-20% to determine their daily intake. No matter how you calculate it, you need to eat at a deficit. Calories in, calories out. It's just that simple.

You cannot build muscle while eating at deficit. What you are talking about is reducing body fat to reveal the muscle underneath, which means losing the fat. Upping your protein is a good idea because MFP's levels are ridiculously low. To get the body you want, you need resistance training, preferably a progressive lifting program, 3 times per week. You can throw in some cardio if you want, but you don't need to be doing cardio for hours on end.

This is not going to happen quickly. It's going to take months to get where you want to be, and progress is going to be slow. There are going to be weeks where nothing changes. You just need to be consistent and keep working hard.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    No wonder you're confused. I have a headache after reading that. Just exercise regularly, eat healthy, reduce calories to TDEE - 15% (give or take). This should not be so hard.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Um I say go with the 1300 and eat back some exercise calories. Keep it simple and easy:)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I zoned out after you said you don't like fad diets but your diet "system" looks like......

If you want to lose just eat at a moderate deficit and everything will fall into place. No fad or system required.
  • nikkihk
    Options
    My head hurts reading your diet plan.

Your macros have more to do with body composition than weight loss. To lose, you need a calorie deficit, end of story. I eat the calories given to me by MFP. Some people prefer TDEE minus 15-20% to determine their daily intake. No matter how you calculate it, you need to eat at a deficit. Calories in, calories out. It's just that simple.

You cannot build muscle while eating at deficit. What you are talking about is reducing body fat to reveal the muscle underneath, which means losing the fat. Upping your protein is a good idea because MFP's levels are ridiculously low. To get the body you want, you need resistance training, preferably a progressive lifting program, 3 times per week. You can throw in some cardio if you want, but you don't need to be doing cardio for hours on end.

This is not going to happen quickly. It's going to take months to get where you want to be, and progress is going to be slow. There are going to be weeks where nothing changes. You just need to be consistent and keep working hard.

Thank you for this.. this stuff drives me bonkers and nothing is ever "right" it seems. MFP is giving me 1200 a day, but is that even enough to build muscle while burning fat? I'm staying with the weight training because I love it, and I do 10-15 mins of cardio to warm up to the weight training but no more then that.

What about carbs? Buzz word for every diet fad out there... I'm at a low 50-60g right now from veggies, fruits, and legumes.. am I shooting too low? And as for fat, I'm usually around the 40g mark but I don't restrict it because it doesn't make sense to deny something my body needs.
  • nikkihk
    Options
    I zoned out after you said you don't like fad diets but your diet "system" looks like......

If you want to lose just eat at a moderate deficit and everything will fall into place. No fad or system required.

Which would be why I'm asking for advice... It may seem ridiculous to you, and I understand that? But I'm trying to clear all of the BS out of my head by getting advice from people who are succeeding at "normal" to reprogram in me what "normal" is. No need to be patronizing about it. However, thank you for your help!
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Um I say go with the 1300 and eat back some exercise calories. Keep it simple and easy:)

THANK YOU! Any thoughts on if the balance of carb/fat/protein makes a difference?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If your maintenance calories are 1800, then 1300 calories/day will let you lose 1lb/week. More protein than MFP recommends works for me so I aim for that. I have lost 36 out of 37 pounds I want to use eating all the things I love to eat, just in moderation. French toast and cheddar cheese & hash brown casserole are sometimes foods. Salad and yogurt are an anytime I want it foods. You don't have to confuse yourself, you just have to control yourself and eat less.

What I know about weight lifting is my doctor and physical therapist say don't because I have a bad disc. I'm sure someone here can give you great advice though. Good luck!!!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Which would be why I'm asking for advice... It may seem ridiculous to you, and I understand that? But I'm trying to clear all of the BS out of my head by getting advice from people who are succeeding at "normal" to reprogram in me what "normal" is. No need to be patronizing about it. However, thank you for your help!

I understand.....I advised on what the best course of action is. There is no need to get complicate matters. Count calories and take a moderate deficit.
  • Rizabees
    Options
    I agree with whoever said to stick to 1200-1300 a day and eat back exercise calories. It doesn't usually need to be any more difficult than that.

If you don't want to get confused and discouraged too fast, stick to just counting calories for now and once you get used to that start to do macros.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I can understand how one can be confused.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'd be confused too if I tried to follow a system like that. Why not try feeding your body AT LEAST 1200-1500 calories a day and trying to burn 250-500 calories through cardio exercise. Add to that a little strength training to protect your lean body mass, and make sure to get around 100 grams of protein as a minimum.

Honestly you could eat a lot more, but at least what I've said above would give your body what it needs and would support a healthier metabolism than this starvation-feed-starvation-starvation system you are trying.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! Any thoughts on if the balance of carb/fat/protein makes a difference?

I dont know how much difference it makes but aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
    Mine are about 40 % fat and 30% for carbs and protein.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    So MFP had my protein at something like 50 grams. I changed my macros to 35f/30p/35c; and now even when I don't workout, my protein is closer to 100 grams.

I can easily hit 130 grams/day. I do have to eat a protein shake after I workout...but really, 130 grams isn't that hard.
  • nikkihk
    Options

I dont know how much difference it makes but aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
    Mine are about 40 % fat and 30% for carbs and protein.

That sounds doable, thank you for this. Just want to get this started the right way.. I'm shooting for nine and a half months to be sort of where I want to be (at least on a good trajectory) I'm frustrated with it because I have my wedding coming up and I'm tired of not having a solid or at least reasonable answer for all of this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

It is. I'd also like to add this....

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

Which is a guide to how much you should be trying to lose per week, based on how overweight you are. You can see, that if you need 1800 calories per day to maintain... then, 1300 calories ( a 500 calorie per day, 3500 calorie or 1 lb deficit per week ) might be good for you now. If you can be 'happy' with that.

And where I stole that little quote from is here....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Which is in the Eat Train Progress group.... which you may find equally helpful. The group happens to be run by the Side Steel, and Sara, and SS is the author of the sexypants post.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I am not a professional!!!! I am just passing on what I have learned from seeing a dietitian for the past 3 weeks. I am 5'9" I am currently 169 pounds. And my goal is 150. I am also in the 20 to 25% range... I don't mind being here. I am "moderately lean" and I am ok with that. I was doing low cal 1300 a day. I wasn't losing. I bumped up to 1800 for a month or so.... I started to lose again. Then it stopped... again. That is when I went to a registered dietitian. I obviously can't type all of her advice here but to keep it simple. 40/30/30. I am currently eating 1450 a day. I don't eat back my exercise calories. She claims this NET thing is just another fad that she believed started with the Adkins net carbs concept. I was doing the "if it fits in your macros" and I was stuck for more than a month. I started to eat more "clean", fresh fruits and veggies and gave up some of the low-cal tasty stuff that "fit in my macros" I drink at least 100 ounces of water a day and this week I FINALLY had a 2 pound loss. I lift with a small cardio session M/W/F and do a heavier cardio sesson on T/TH/Saturday I do fun activities like hiking, skating and cycling with my kids. Eating at a huge deficient will prevent muscle gain. She said the best plan is something you can LIVE with long term.

***Edit to add*** when I was eating 1300 I was eating back exercise calories. At 1800 I was not. ***