I'm pretty thin- it's just leg bulk

Options
Hey guys, I kind of need some help-
Honestly, I'm pretty thin, but the reason I'm on this website is because I want to thin out my thighs and calves. It's mostly muscle but there's still a little fat. I'm almost underweight, and I don't want to go under, but I want to slim my legs down.
So weird question- how can I slim my legs down without losing too much weight? I know that's kind of strange to hear on this website, but there it is.
For those of you who will say that I can't change my legs because that's my body shape, but I know that whatever's going on with my legs is not genetics. A few years ago I had very slim legs and I don't know what happened. (seriously. >__<)
If the above question is kind of hard to answer, can you guys answer me this: How can I slim down muscle-y legs?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Heading home from work. Sorry, just want to subscribe.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    What happened is that you became an adult, and the legs you had at 15 were the legs of a child. Focus on appreciating your new body for what it is.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thin legs..no good.

Anyways, like it was said before, you can't spot reduce fat. You could train the legs to get them nice and tone.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    What happened is that you became an adult, and the legs you had at 15 were the legs of a child. Focus on appreciating your new body for what it is.

+1
    Your body grew up - now follow it and accept the fact that you are older, healthy and will never look like you are 12 again....

And you do know that anorexia is a fact and sometimes the only way K-pop idols keep the "look"? You do not want to go there - please don't......Growing up is a fact of life - so start doing it and enjoy!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm pretty thin, but the reason I'm on this website is because I want to thin out my thighs and calves. It's mostly muscle but there's still a little fat. I'm almost underweight, and I don't want to go under, but I want to slim my legs down.
    So weird question- how can I slim my legs down without losing too much weight? I know that's kind of strange to hear on this website, but there it is.
    For those of you who will say that I can't change my legs because that's my body shape, but I know that whatever's going on with my legs is not genetics. A few years ago I had very slim legs and I don't know what happened. (seriously. >__<)
    If the above question is kind of hard to answer, can you guys answer me this: How can I slim down muscle-y legs?

You're 19 years old. A few years ago your legs were teenage legs, and now you're getting adult woman legs. There's no (good) way to reverse this late stage of female body development.

What would you say to a 13 year old that says "I got these boobs and I don't really like them. I didn't have them a few years ago. What can I do to get rid of them?" What you're asking is pretty much exactly the same thing.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well if your legs have gotten thicker, you have either gained fat and that is the area Where your body wants to gain it. In this case a small deficit over a period of time should help lose the fat. The other option why they may have grown is if you have started a new sport/ physical activity or in any way changed the way you use your leg muscles. Going from sitting for the best part of the day to a moving around job, something that involves climbing stairs, taking up a sport/dance, exercise routine etc. If you had a change like this and have been eating even slightly over your maintenance, you could have grown muscle. To decrease the amount of muscle would mean to stop 'exercising ' your legs and to again eat at a deficit. However I don't think decreasing your muscle mass is a good Idea.

How about focusing on making the rest of your body match your legs, if they are indeed more muscly now? Most girls are scared of looking bulky But that would be almost impossible to achieve by coincidence, and lean and fit is hot. You will Thank yourself in the future if you add a bit of muscle now.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

you're 19 and going through puberty.

not being a smart *kitten* here, but maybe you should speak to your mom and or biology teacher about how bodies change during puberty especially female bodies. not things affect not just menstruation but also things like breast, hip and thigh size. whatever your body looked like when you were 14 is not how it will look like when your 19, nor should it
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    @randomtai Nice profile pic!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Stop climbing so many stairs. Stop walking everywhere. Stop running. Actually, just get a motorized scooter and you'll have weak legs in no time. :)
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Perhaps its not your legs are big, but the rest is too small. Consider exercising the upper half to even out your look. The only way to lose muscle is not exercising and letting it atrophy - not a recommended technique for good health.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. Now that you're not growing taller your legs can actually add on some muscle. You probably have some dysmorphic opinions about your legs.
    Stop climbing so many stairs. Stop walking everywhere. Stop running. Actually, just get a motorized scooter and you'll have weak legs in no time. :)

hoveround.gif
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Yep, it's called becoming a woman.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

MINE!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Perhaps its not your legs are big, but the rest is too small. Consider exercising the upper half to even out your look. The only way to lose muscle is not exercising and letting it atrophy - not a recommended technique for good health.

36a1694bce9815b7e38a9dad05ad42e0.jpg
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Like most people have said, it is because you're body is becoming more womanly. I noticed the same thing about my legs. I have a lot more hips than I used to. It makes my lower thigh look a little thinner. I'm sure that there are men who like your womanly legs :)
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with strong legs, even if you think it doesn't fit some ideal, seriously! Be proud of awesome, strong legs :) Bodies change as you move out of teens into 20s and like others said you can't spot reduce. What I think you should work on is just building overall strength - get a nice free weights program going and get some strength all over. And remember that bodies are beautiful.

I lamented my 'thunder thighs' in high school/college, and now I realize they were strong. Fit. And awesome. I'm working on getting some semblance of those back but in a 40-year old version. Get strong :) Don't fret over what mother nature gave you -- it looks great if it's healthy, honest.
  • ashleykells
    ashleykells Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing at 19 and so did my younger sister. I'm sorry people are being so snappy at you :( Honestly, it's almost like puberty again! Between 18 and 21 our bodies shift from a slim teenage to a woman's slightly curvier figure. It's normal to feel uncomfortable with your new shape for awhile. I'm 26 and my sister is 23 and both of us feel much more comfortable with ourselves now. Give it some time :) The good news is most guys find that shift very attractive!
    Please be careful, though. Many, many pop stars get super thin legs in very unhealthy ways that can do long term damage to their health. Do a bit of toning work if you're not already and what that does. If it helps, in your profile pic you look lovely! Don't sell that beauty short by comparing it to women who are willing to seriously harm themselves for their appearance. Good luck!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

seriously...I have seen people on a wheelchair and their legs...oh well, let's not go there.

Anyway, as a pear shaped person myself, I have been bothered by my thick legs and butt for years...the only change I was able to make by dieting and lifting heavy is to have some definition showing on the thighs instead of 2 blobs of shaking fat...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

MINE!

:laugh: :drinker: :flowerforyou: