Help With Proteins

Options
How can you figure out exactly how much protein your body needs? Typically I try to eat around 80g a day, today I'll pass up 130! I feel like I'm stuffing myself... then on a board on here today I read that you should be eating 1g of protein for every lb that you weigh. I don't even know if that would be possible for me. LOL!

Also, what are some good foods with lots of protein? Here's what is typically on my list:

greek yogurt
eggs(YES with yolks!!!)
chicken
salmon
bacon
almonds
milk
edamame seeds
kale
almonds
oatmeal

Replies

• tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    then on a board on here today I read that you should be eating 1g of protein for every lb that you weigh.

It is 1 gram of protien for every lbs of lean body mass you have. Basically, how much you weigh minus the fat. I'm going to guess that it is right around 100g. However, eating over it, won't hurt you and may help you.
  • HeidiR119
    Options
    Ohhh, well, that would make more sense. :) Thanks!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    How can you figure out exactly how much protein your body needs? Typically I try to eat around 80g a day, today I'll pass up 130! I feel like I'm stuffing myself... then on a board on here today I read that you should be eating 1g of protein for every lb that you weigh. I don't even know if that would be possible for me. LOL!

Also, what are some good foods with lots of protein? Here's what is typically on my list:

greek yogurt
    eggs(YES with yolks!!!)
    chicken
    salmon
    bacon
    almonds
    milk
    edamame seeds
    kale
    almonds
    oatmeal

I struggle with getting protein in, too. My goal should be around 120g per day, and it's rough, even on 1600 calories. I know the obvious answer is more meat, but there's only so much lean chicken breast I can eat in a day, lol! And I never have ANY issue meeting my carb and fat goals, so it's tough to find protein sources that don't have just as much, if not more, of other macros.

But, my main go-tos are the obvious meat sources (chicken, pork, turkey, beef, fish), eggs (just the whites if I don't need the fat, otherwise yolks here, too), greek yogurt (the Dannon Light and Fit is good because for 80 calories you get 0 fat, 12g protein and 9g carbs), cheese (esp light string cheese and cottage cheese), and nuts. I keep trying protein bars but I can never find any that have enough protein to make the bar worth it (as opposed to just a Kind bar or something) that don't taste like butt (yes, I've tried Quest).
  • HeidiR119
    Options
    I'm right there with you Barbie! I also do not like protein bars as they taste yucky and have A LOT of calories/carbs and really don't do anything for me.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Ive just had grilled turkey strake for dinner, thats great for protein and low fat! xx
  • madds2
    madds2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've started to get lean deli turkey meat and eat that as a snack instead of protein bars and shakes. The taste of bars and shakes are something I couldn't get myself to love.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

greek yogurt
    eggs(YES with yolks!!!)
    chicken
    salmon
    bacon
    almonds
    milk
    edamame seeds
    kale
    almonds
    oatmeal

Black beans, chick peas, lentils, hemp seeds, broccoli, spinach, kale, sweet potato, avocado, nut butters.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Steak
    Hamburgers
    Hot Dogs
    Pork Chops
    Sausage
    Ham
    Cod
    Protein Powder in your smoothie
  • HappyAng
    HappyAng Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake(whey protein super advance from Walmart) in the mornings. 2 scoops is 60g protein. If you use milk with it that is more protein. I use almond milk and water.

Oscar Meyer has a 13-14g snack pack in the lunchables section. It consist of reduced fat cheese squares, nuts(usually almonds) and some type of turkey or chicken breast cut up in squares.

I eat dry cereal like Kashi for a snack. That consists usually of 10 g protein, 7 fiber.