Replies

• ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Doesn't get much better than Inov-8
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I wear adidas powerlift when I do legs, the ones I'm wearing in my profile. But chucks, adidas sambas, new balance minimus should all be fine.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Chucks. Black with turquoise double tongue, purple and a couple of knock-offs from Academy in lime green sherbet and one in turquoise I got on clearance the other day from $6.99.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned feet falling asleep with shoes and the possibility of them being laced too tightly. Check out this link with different lacing types-processes (links to other sites though they seem to have ideas) to help eliminate pressure on certain areas of some people's feet. Mine were usually falling asleep because they were laced tightly at the ankle to prevent heel slippage as I have a foot shaped much like a duck - wide in the front, narrow in the back. Relacing my shoes helped.

http://readytechrun.com/2013/05/shoe-lace-techniques/

also see
    http://media.theathletesfoot.com.au/media/wysiwyg/images/LacingtechniquesTheAthletesFoot.jpg
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I lift barefoot...I am lucky I have a home gym but my husband got me a30day trial so I am hoping to get these....

untitled_zps18657d52.png

as close to barefoot I can get without being barefoot on a public gym floor...cause I don't like lifting in socks either...

Mind you I haven't tried Chucks but hear good things.

ETA: the straps are optional btw and they come with a full slipper to go over them (3 parter)

I got a pair of these for Christmas. Haven't tried them out yet but looking forward to it. No ankle ribbons - just the foot wrap. They are actually designed for yoga/pilates so I think they should be functional for heavy lifting "bare-foot style".
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I wear vibram 5 fingers...after wearing runners and then going to those, I love them for the light weight, and I have better balance.
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    So many replies, thank you everyone! Chucks seem to be the popular pick. I don't own any but I will
    Check them out as well as some of the others mentioned.

Helps me a lot, thanks!
  • tabithajoyy
    Options
    For lifting you just want something flat, or even barefoot. Lots of people around here seem to use Converse Chuck's.

If your shoes are making your feet numb when doing cardio (what, exactly?) then maybe they are too tight? Feet swell up to half a size when running, for example.

My shoes aren't tight at all actually. I just don't get why they go numb sometimes. I usually do turbo fire or chalean extreme for my cardio. Looks like maybe it's time to find a diff shoes altogether. I just love the comfort of my nikes but they always make some of not all of my toes numb.

Thank you for the feedback!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I use a pair of Etnies skate shoes, or go barefoot.

Rigger
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I lift barefoot...I am lucky I have a home gym but my husband got me a30day trial so I am hoping to get these....

untitled_zps18657d52.png

as close to barefoot I can get without being barefoot on a public gym floor...cause I don't like lifting in socks either...

Mind you I haven't tried Chucks but hear good things.

ETA: the straps are optional btw and they come with a full slipper to go over them (3 parter)

I got a pair of these for Christmas. Haven't tried them out yet but looking forward to it. No ankle ribbons - just the foot wrap. They are actually designed for yoga/pilates so I think they should be functional for heavy lifting "bare-foot style".

girl at my dance studio has them- I'm in love- I really want them but can't justify shucking out the 100 bucks for them.

and where- oh please where are you all getting chucks for 40 bucks?

last time I looked they were something stupid like 80-100$ at the store!!! I was shocked.
  • christylynnrn
    christylynnrn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem of my feet going numb, either all of my foot or the outer half, whenever I wore Nikes. Only Nike shoes did it, no matter how tight or loose the laces were, no matter what I was doing. The only thing that fixed it was changing shoe brands. Some shoes are made differently and just don't fit certain foot types. Switched shoes, problem gone. On the weight lifting note, unfortunately my gym won't allow barefoot or socks, so looking to invest in Chucks very soon, had luck with them in the past. Flat and hard is definitely the way to go :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Pretty sure mine came from Kohl's

Also Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Converse-Chuck-Taylor-Black-Canvas/dp/B002VGTRUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390394978&sr=8-2&keywords=chuck+taylor+converse
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Pretty sure mine came from Kohl's

Also Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Converse-Chuck-Taylor-Black-Canvas/dp/B002VGTRUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390394978&sr=8-2&keywords=chuck+taylor+converse

werd.

must have just been the store I was in raping people over the shoes. I was completely shocked.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy off and on for 2 years now but never had the correct shoes. I have Nikes, plixar (sp) and lunar3's. Not the best for lifting. My feet actually go numb alot when i lift and during cardio. I need everyones opinion on what type works well for you?

Thank you :)

I like my five fingers, particularly on deadlifts. Those things really let your toes dig in to the floor.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    my fav barefoot shoes for running & lifting are Vivo Barefoot, b/c they have the widest toe box I've encountered yet.
  • tabithajoyy
    Options
    I used to have the same problem of my feet going numb, either all of my foot or the outer half, whenever I wore Nikes. Only Nike shoes did it, no matter how tight or loose the laces were, no matter what I was doing. The only thing that fixed it was changing shoe brands. Some shoes are made differently and just don't fit certain foot types. Switched shoes, problem gone. On the weight lifting note, unfortunately my gym won't allow barefoot or socks, so looking to invest in Chucks very soon, had luck with them in the past. Flat and hard is definitely the way to go :)

OHHHH, ok! Well looks like ima have to give up my nikes. I love them for just everyday wear but not for working out. I like them most in the summer bc i run every so often and i use the chip in them.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Barefoot or I use wrestling shoes which are as flat as Chuck's.

They're isn't a pair of Chuck's that are wide enough for my big feet.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    For squats and deads, the flattest thing you can find: bare feet, chucks, vans, or whatever.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    For deadlift, Merrell trail runners with the vibram sole but chucks or a similar shoe will work as effectively. For squat and bench an olympic shoe with a heel but they aren't cheap.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I wear either chucks or new balance minimus