Measuring

Options
So last night I wanted to have a bowl of cereal. :bigsmile: I realized tat 2 cups in a measuring cup did not equal 16 ounces on the scale. :huh: How are you all weighing / measuring your food?? Now I am wondering if I have been doing it all wrong all along and thats why Im not losing...:noway:

Replies

• sharonuk10
    Options
    I put my bowl on the scale.. zero it... then pour cereal in.. 30 or 50 grams depending. Grams since I am in the UK and that is the serving size on the box. I believe in America it is done by cups not sure though. Nor am I sure how that works out either. I would suggest to put bowl on scale.. zero it.. then pour your 16 ounces in.
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes, miss measuring is a huge reason some people don't see results.

I weight everything using a digital food scale. I never use measuring cups or spoons. They are very unreliable.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I do it both ways, it depends on what I am eating, for items in boxes, I measure/ weigh eased on how they list their calorie content......Also are you filling the cup high above the rim, some people measure a cup, but you can still see the items high above the rim....Try stopping below the rim, if you aren't already doing so.....

For potatoes etc, I weigh

Again it all depends on the item
  • xojox
    xojox Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    in the GB we don't measure in cups and i'd been having trouble originally, but you find if you look through the food lists most things have a weight alternative.

I weigh my food on kitchen scales, then try to keep to the same portions, i aslo know that when i come to a standstill thats the 1st thing i go back to checking, its shocking how decieving the eye can be!!! lol :flowerforyou:

Hope you get more success soon xjox
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The best way to measure your food is by grams. Every food item you buy (at least that I've noticed) has the serving size listed in grams - then usually it gives a different way to measure, for example 1 cup or 1 slice. Take this example, if you have a "serving" of bread, the package gives you the number of slices considered a serving and it also gives you the grams for the serving. If you take one slice of bread and weight it to see how many grams it is, chances are that it will not match # of grams listed. Same thing for a cup of cereal or pasta, etc. I don't have a scale that measures grams, but it's on my wish list. So I use ounces when appropriate or by the cup when appropriate.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    2 cups = 16 Liquid Ounces

Liquid ounces is VOLUME measurement. Liquid ounces have NOTHING to do with how much something weighs, but how much room liquid takes up in a container.

16 Ounces = 1 pound That's the WEIGHT measurement. It has nothing to do with cups or volume.

The scale only measures ounces as they relate to weight. This is good for fruit, meat, and solid foods.

Cups only measure liquid ounces as they relate to volume. This is only good for measuring liquids.

So don't feel like you have to eat 1 lb of cereal in the morning, eh? Just eat your two cups. :wink: When I first started measuring food, I got tripped up by this too. I was measuring my lunch meat with measuring cups and eating far less than the weight ounces would have allowed me. Hehheh.
  • carmenrichard
    Options
    2 cups = 16 Liquid Ounces

Liquid ounces is VOLUME measurement. Liquid ounces have NOTHING to do with how much something weighs, but how much room liquid takes up in a container.

16 Ounces = 1 pound That's the WEIGHT measurement. It has nothing to do with cups or volume.

The scale only measures ounces as they relate to weight. This is good for fruit, meat, and solid foods.

Cups only measure liquid ounces as they relate to volume. This is only good for measuring liquids.

So don't feel like you have to eat 1 lb of cereal in the morning, eh? Just eat your two cups. :wink: When I first started measuring food, I got tripped up by this too. I was measuring my lunch meat with measuring cups and eating far less than the weight ounces would have allowed me. Hehheh.

AWESOME....Thank you!!!
  • carmenrichard
    Options
    THANKS everyone!!! :smile:
  • JakeNonne
    JakeNonne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is understandably confusing.

Dry foods - measure by volume (e.g., cup). Dry foods are cereal, oatmeal, rice, beans, etc..

Liquids - measure by volume (cups) or weight (ounces). 8 liquid ounces = 1cup.

Other foods (vegetables, meat, soft cheese, fruit) are mostly water so you can use the conversion of 8oz = 1 cup. Generally they should be measured by weight (ounces) on a scale.

I hope this helps.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I weigh solids and use the measuring cups and spoons for liquids. I can eyeball a lot of items now, but still measure or weigh if I'm unsure.

Charmagne
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Ah, thanks Jake. That clarifies it even further.