I FREAKIN QUIT!!!!!!!

Options
So, I had someone ask me what was my motivation for quitting.............. Maybe I could inspire them. That they didn't know me and were very proud of me. I thought to myself.......... Maybe there are more people who need inspired. MAYBE if i talk about it, it will reaffirm my decision and aid with my will power. SO I copied and pasted my response to that wonderful individual for all to see.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

My inspiration came like this.... I never knew that my smoking hindered my health. Never had any issues with breathing or anything. ** I didn't think**

I wanted to lose weight soooooo bad. I paid to see a nutritionist for 2 months and started exercising. When I realized that it wasn't my eating, but my inability to have an intense workout because the pain in my chest was keeping me down-I thought to myself..... Man I need to quit. If I wanted to actually be able to work out, to work the muscles I was intending to work on, to do zumba, to walk fast or even jog, Tae Bo tapes, running stairs, OR anything. I was going to have to stop smoking. That was the ONLY thing that would fix my breathing. Believe me, I love to smoke. If there were some magic pill that I could take to make my chest feel better while exercising and to smoke, I probably would have chose that. That isn't an option though... Everytime I worked out I got mad at myself. I had done this to myself. I had placed this burden on myself. I felt handicapped. Then I quit working out. Started blaming it on other aspects of my life, when really-it was because I was coughing, gagging and felt strangled everytime I did.

I started thinking: I will NEVER regret quitting. I will however continue to struggle with exercise and it will NEVER get better. I have to do this for myself (And I thought by myself). BUT MFP proved me way wrong......

Another motivation......... I have 2 kids. My mom smoked. I remember begging her to quit. She still hasn't. She smokes 4 packs a day and has ever since I can remember. Even though I'm a smoker I still ask her to quit....... How Ironic.? My daughter says to me all the time that I need to quit. She is 6 right now. I never want to make her feel the way I felt and continue to feel about my mom.

I told myself that once I hit 140 I would quit smoking......... that never came. Almost like subconcious, self sabatage. I was gaining???????? Soo I said screw it.... I gotta do it now. So I got on eBay, bought some nic gum, level 2 patches, a subliminal stop smoking CD and smokeless cinnamon flavored cigs. HELL by that time I had already invested in quitting. So This week I am maintaining 4 cigs a day. I orginially said 8 but 4 has been simple with some use of the gum here and there. I decided that on the 21st I am done. I told my daughter and she was jumping up and down with joy. I can't let her or myself down. I hope this helps somewhat. BUT you have to do want to. I just actually had reasons to want to.

Replies

• alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is so good!! PROUD OF YOU!!!
  • IKnowICan
    Options
    Good Job:drinker: I quit 21 years ago...just up & quit after 10+ years of smoking. Always looking for a reason to stop when I got pregnant my husband said QUIT! so I quit...it was actually pretty easy! Good for you:heart::drinker: :heart:
  • kimberly428
    Options
    Good job!
    It will be a year for me on Dec 10th. I thought I kept it from my daughter but one day I came in from "getting some air" and I saw my daughter (who was 2 at the time) pretend smoking. That was my motivation right there. A lot of prayer got me through it LOL
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    My Mom quit, cold turkey, after 40 years of smoking. I am not saying that cold turkey is always the way to go. I don't think how you do it is as important as the fact that you just do it. For her to finally quit was an answer to a prayer that I had from childhood. I felt so relieved, so happy, so proud. I know your daughter feels the same. Good for you for not making her wait until she is in her 20s to see an answer to her hopes! You AND your family will be better for it! If my Mom can do it after 40 years, I know people out there can, too, if they just dig down deep and find the motivation- and it sounds like you have. Good for you! Keep up the good work!
  • reflections
    Options
    Great!

It has been 2 years 1 month since I quit!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Good Job:drinker: I quit 21 years ago...just up & quit after 10+ years of smoking. Always looking for a reason to stop when I got pregnant my husband said QUIT! so I quit...it was actually pretty easy! Good for you:heart::drinker: :heart:

I quit through 2 pregnancies, couldnt WAIT to start again!!!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision, you can deffinitely do this, sounds to me you aren't quitting cold turkey, but trying to reduce your smoking a little each day, I have never heard anyone do it that way before, I wish you all the best and I 100% hope you can stick it out, and quit fully one day.
  • netter43
    netter43 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have started and stopped so many times and used every excuse in the book as to why I smoke...I am so scared to just quit this time and I don't know why - I don't smoke in my house. I am not suppose to smoke in my car, but of course I drive one hour one way to work and of course another hour home...I have cut down. How do I get past the fear of gaining the weight with quitting smoking since I'm trying so hard to lose. Yes, I know that sounds extremely irrational... Thank you for the post because it makes me realize that my fears are unfounded and even if I do gain a couple of pounds, as long as I'm eating healthy and exercising it will come off - I look forward to hearing your progress and realizing my own potential as a quitter!!!:wink:
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I quit 7 months and 6 days ago, after realizing that I had spent 20 years and over 1/2 my life doing something that wasn't even natural! For some reason, the ump-teenth time of quitting seemed to be easier!

I too typed out a long letter to you, but when I hit send MFP deleted it instead! I was too pissed off to retype it all, so I'll just tell ya now - I'm so proud of you! Yay!
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great Post! We are all hear to support you!
  • kimberly428
    Options

I quit through 2 pregnancies, couldnt WAIT to start again!!!

Thats how I was! as soon as I stopped breastfeeding I picked it right back up, even hid it from my husband for months until he caught me LOL
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    OMG I did the EXACT same thing. I was trying to lose weight and exercise. I so badly wanted to run on the treadmill but lack of oxygen LOL stopped me.

Its been 7 years, 2 months and 17 days since my first smoke free day. I only know the dates because I have an app on my iPhone that shows I've saved over $15k. Of Course that's when a pack costed about $5.50 a pack

Good for you!!!
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I have started and stopped so many times and used every excuse in the book as to why I smoke...I am so scared to just quit this time and I don't know why - I don't smoke in my house. I am not suppose to smoke in my car, but of course I drive one hour one way to work and of course another hour home...I have cut down. How do I get past the fear of gaining the weight with quitting smoking since I'm trying so hard to lose. Yes, I know that sounds extremely irrational... Thank you for the post because it makes me realize that my fears are unfounded and even if I do gain a couple of pounds, as long as I'm eating healthy and exercising it will come off - I look forward to hearing your progress and realizing my own potential as a quitter!!!:wink:

I was the same - scared to death of quitting. It takes a lot to admit that, and once I did, I was able to think about why. I had no idea what it was like to be a non-smoker. I had smoked since I was 15, and didn't know HOW to live without smoking. That scared me bad - fear of the unknown. I eventually just started imagining life without cigarettes at different times - kind of like practice quitting, lol! Oh, and I didn't gain more than 3 pounds when I quit! You can do it :flowerforyou:
  • Krimicri
    Options
    Good for you! You just have to resist the urge.. I quit 6 years ago and still crave them, only the cravings are easier to resist. You can do it, and your body will be much happier for it!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thats so hard, but fantastic! Think of how you are showing your daughter how strong women can be!
  • smarie62
    Options
    After 28 years of smoking, I'll be 2 years quit in January. Congratulations on making a choice to live! You will be amazed at how much better you will feel. I used Chantix and it was great. It made me forget all about smoking. I wish you much success, and I want you to know that you can do this!
  • dbrady102
    dbrady102 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I quite about 12 years ago. I had two children and even though I didn't smoke during either pregnancy I just started right back up again. I NEVER smoked around my kids but I would go out in the garage to read and smoke (froze my behind off in the winter). Then one day I figured out that the cost of my cigs would pay at least a utility bill a month and the worst part was I was spending WAY too much time by myself in the garage while my family was in the house. That's when I finally put them down for good. I was a nut for about two weeks. I couldn't sleep and I was so hyper I was talking everyone's ears off at work but after a couple weeks I started to calm down and I could not believe how much better I felt. My hair, skin and clothes felt cleaner because there wasn't any smoke clinging to them. Congratulations on quitting, it's not easy but it is so doable!
  • Krimicri
    Options
    After 28 years of smoking, I'll be 2 years quit in January. Congratulations on making a choice to live! You will be amazed at how much better you will feel. I used Chantix and it was great. It made me forget all about smoking. I wish you much success, and I want you to know that you can do this!

That's awesome! Congrats!
  • IKnowICan
    Options
    hahahhaha I know I know but Hubby doesn't smoke so he put his foot down & so I just did some deep breaths as to "pretend" to smoke but am so glad I quit & so glad you have too!

Think of how much money you'll save & how sweet smelling we are. Not to mention the energy & time saver of not having to "go have a smoke". :heart:
  • AJayTX
    Options
    My first MFP post! I quit 3 years ago. Smoked for 18 years. It was a difficult accomplishment but also one of the proudest moments in my life. It's hard to put into words but the freedom you get from not being a slave to the nicotine is refreshing and motivating. Don't let it control you, it's your life, take it back.