This is what Jillian says about working out when sore...

Options
I get emails from Jillian Michaels website. I thought this would be a good tid bit of advice and a great analogy.

Q: What are the rules for working out when you're still really sore from the day before?

A:
You should NOT train a muscle that's sore. The reason for this is that your body interprets exercise as stress; it's during the recovery time when the real work is being done. Think of exercise as the architect and recovery as the builder. If you work a muscle too soon after a training session, therefore, you will just break it down.

Also, you shouldn't be sore for more than two days after a workout; if you are, you may have a slight injury or muscle strain. If this is the case, take it easy and give that muscle time to heal before training it again.

-Jillian Michaels

Replies

• Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    Oh Jillian, when I first started this journey with your 30 Day Shred, I was sore for like, a week after that first workout. LOL.

Good piece of advice though, thanks for sharing!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I wonder why I'm not at my sorest until two days later. Why not the same day or the next day? Anyone know this scientific mystery?

Shannon
  • doug2691
    Options
    I wonder why I'm not at my sorest until two days later. Why not the same day or the next day? Anyone know this scientific mystery?

Shannon

No mystery at all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

Shannon

No mystery at all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

aka DOMS.

And she's right, but only about specific muscles. Don't use "my chest is a little sore" as a lame excuse to get out of that jog you had planned.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Bet Jillian doesn't say the same thing to the contestants on the show.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Bet Jillian doesn't say the same thing to the contestants on the show.

Nope, they have major work to put in. But they do have a day of rest.
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    What?! I battled through 30 days of non-stop shredding with aching muscles! :(
    -x-
  • sedativestorm
    sedativestorm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The first time with Jillian, my arms could not straighten for 2 days straight! I was walking around with my arms crossed lol.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Guess what I learned about JM today, that’s she’s a FRAUD!

“She has 2 certifications from organizations that aren't even accepted by most gyms. She has no college education in fitness. She is not a nutritionist. She is not a registered dietitian. She worked in talent management in LA and that is how she got her job on BL”

Sorry to burst your bubble but she has no more education on nutrition and fitness than we MFP’ers do so whatever she says, take it with a grain of salt just like all the other suggestions here on MFP.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Now people are going to start using this as an excuse for taking day after day after day off.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Now people are going to start using this as an excuse for taking day after day after day off.

Not me, not a chance.