West African Chicken and Peanut Stew

Options

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    This looks good! I may try it in the crock pot.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy about the recipe? Did you leave out something toxic? :laugh:

Seriously, this looks super yummy, and quite healthy!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm, there's a version of this at the soup place under my work. Guess what i'm having for lunch now!!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • willdb76
    Options
    They call it Domoda... my ex-BF used to make it all the time. It puts meat on your bones!
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump... sounds divine
    Hey there! While not the HEALTHIEST option on the recipe forums...i made this for the first time tonight and it is F'ING DELICIOUS!!!! I am sure others can pull it apart and health it up...but this is exactly how I made it...and boy oh boy was it good.

2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
    2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    1 large onion
    5 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
    2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed , peeled & diced
    1 quart chicken stock
    1 cup chunky peanut butter
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne
    1 28 ounce jar (or can) chopped tomatoes with juice
    14 ounce can coconut milk (light or full fat)
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat coconut or olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add chicken thighs in a single layer and brown on both sides. You’ll want to do this in a couple of batches so they brown instead of steam. Remove chicken and set aside.
    Add onions to pot; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes scraping up any browned bits of chicken. Add garlic; cook and stir about 30 seconds, just until fragrant. Add the next 7 ingredients – sweet potatoes through tomatoes. Stir until well combined and peanut butter is distributed. Return chicken thighs to pot, stir, and bring to a simmer.
    Cover the pot and simmer gently for one hour.
    After an hour, remove the chicken thighs and set them aside for a few moments until they’re cool enough to handle. Use two forks to shred the meat and return to stew. Add coconut milk and stir to combine. Cover and simmer 15 minutes more.
    Add salt, freshly ground black pepper, and cayenne (if you like some kick) to taste. Ladle in to individual soup bowls and garnish with peanuts and cilantro.

(I skipped the garnish as the chunky peanut butter left plenty of crunch to the stew and I am not fond of cilantro)

Serves 8-10

When you make this, start at least 2 hours before plan to eat. There is not a lot of active time, but the stew needs time to simmer. If you prefer a vegetarian version of, swap in vegetable broth and perhaps kick up the spice.

I hope you all enjoy...i had my doubts right up until I tasted it...AMAZING!!!!!

-Rob
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sound yummy!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Looks nutritious and rich to me. :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    this looks awesome!
    i loves me some coconut milk based stews!
    and you didnt even swap out the thighs for breasts.

i think i love you, man.
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My ex is from Africa and he made htis a lot and it's sooooo good. Now I gotta try to make it :) thanks!!
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious!
  • neuro_nut
    neuro_nut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump for later... love the coconut/peanut combo :)
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You could lighten it up with 1/2 the coconut milk and 1/2 the peanut butter, thin with unsweetened almond milk.
    Also, I've seen (but not tried in a recipe) powdered peanut, sort of the unbutter which might work.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    bump to try. sounds yummy,. thanks!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Bumping to try, thanks!
  • robjenga
    robjenga Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Making this again on Saturday...CAN'T WAIT!
  • Sociologist2013
    Sociologist2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am tweaking this by using Pam for browning and using chicken breast tenderloins. Also unsweetend coconut milk. Based on 10, 1 cup servings, it works out to be 322 cal, 26 g protein and 16 g carbs which is pretty healthy sounding. Making this tonight:-)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Oh man that sounds GOOD!!
  • dominiqueruns
    dominiqueruns Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy! (not sure about the photo... lol) thanks for sharing!