Hampton pad for hip thrust.....help please!

Hi all! I'm hoping that someone can provide me with a suggestion.

I bought an Airex pad to help with my hip thrusts and while it certainly takes away the actual pain of the barbell over my hips, it's extremely awkward and cumbersome to the point that I believe it is affecting my form. I was comparing the following 3 hampton pads on bb.com but I have no experience using one. I'm at 230lbs for reps on my thrust and it will get heavier so I do need something that has sufficient padding.

Any ideas/thoughts/recommendations? Here is the link to the ones I'm comparing.

http://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/catalog/productcomparison/product-comparison.jsp

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    BUMP I'm interested in the feedback. The ones at my gym are so crappy and worn that they don't even help much
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    In. I have bruises and it hurts, lol.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    bump sorry i have no clue
  • ShelliePAwesome
    ShelliePAwesome Posts: 42 Member
    Bump...I'm hip thrusting at 225 and am interested in any suggestions as well.:smile:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Oh my goodness....there are so many of us running around with bruised hips and awkward Airex pads!

We will keep bumping until we get help :smile:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Bump!
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Have you considered doing lunges or split squats? They're compounds so you'll burn more calories, work your core and they hit your glutes pretty damn hard if you do em right. Everytime I see people doing hip thrusts with a lot of weight across their hips it makes me cringe, just looks like a perforated bladder or something waiting to happen.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Have you considered doing lunges or split squats? They're compounds so you'll burn more calories, work your core and they hit your glutes pretty damn hard if you do em right. Everytime I see people doing hip thrusts with a lot of weight across their hips it makes me cringe, just looks like a perforated bladder or something waiting to happen.

Ummmm no. And I didn't ask for advice on what to do instead of hip thrusts, I asked for recommendations on a hampton pad.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member

Hip thrusts are also compound and, when done correctly, offer more glute activation than pretty much anything else you can do.

OP, I wasn't able to see the products in your link, but I have the Hampton extra thick bar pad. I've done 260 lbs with it, and it has worked fine for me.

ETA: I started with a regular Harbinger Olympic pad, but it is not anywhere near thick enough for heavy hip thrusts, so now I just stick it on the edge of the bench to prevent rubbing against my back while I'm doing the hip thrusts, and I use the extra thick Hampton pad on the bar.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    take yoga matt

trifold into thick taco shape thing

put on hips-

wedge under bar

lift.

simple solutions for none complex problems.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Sorry sunshine, my mistake. Proceed with weighted air humping.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Sorry sunshine, my mistake. Proceed with weighted air humping.

Hehe.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy

Hip thrusts are also compound and, when done correctly, offer more glute activation than pretty much anything else you can do.

OP, I wasn't able to see the products in your link, but I have the Hampton extra thick bar pad. I've done 260 lbs with it, and it has worked fine for me.

ETA: I started with a regular Harbinger Olympic pad, but it is not anywhere near thick enough for heavy hip thrusts, so now I just stick it on the edge of the bench to prevent rubbing against my back while I'm doing the hip thrusts, and I use the extra thick Hampton pad on the bar.

Thank you so much! This helps tremendously!

take yoga matt

trifold into thick taco shape thing

put on hips-

wedge under bar

lift.

simple solutions for none complex problems.

You have tried this tri-fold yoga method and it has worked well to eliminate pain during hip thrusts? I wasn't making anything complex, BTW......not sure how asking about a bloody hampton pad to make my workout better is "complex".
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member

Yep, I've tried lunges and split squats (and still do them). Nothing else hits my glutes in quite the same way as the hip thrust. As has already been stated they've been shown to have the highest rate of glute activation so it makes sense. They are definitely a compound not an isolation exercise.
  • I've been having the same dilema. I've tried these...

- Airex Pad (2.5" foam thickness): HemingWeigh brand is same thing, but half the cost. Really does a great job of cushioning, but slightly awkward.

- Squat Sponge (1.25" foam thickness): Personally, I don't feel it's as much cushion as the Airex. Great that it stays put, really lets you focus on form, but I then think about the pressure of the bar/weight. Great though for regular squats!

- Hampton Pad (2.4" foam thickness): Thinking of trying this next to see how it compares to the other two. Then I can make a fair assessment and will know which one to use from then out.
  • devangrell
    devangrell Posts: 1 Member
    Hey guys! I have the answer! I had this same problem. Arex is waay too big. "Squat" Sponge - wrong sport... I found this www.hipthrustpad.com. I tried and loved it. Super comfortable and way smaller than the blue pad. It was designed for the Hip thrust! You can buy it on Amazon here. https://www.amazon.com/Hip-Thrust-Pad-black-Barbell/dp/B072PPFS35/
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I can't see your link. I use some kind of thick *kitten* pad at my gym. I rep between 225-300 on the reg (prior to a recent injury) and never got bruises with it. I wish I knew what it was.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i have one of those thick square pads, i think its for kneeling on, its like 6 inches thick super dense foam, i have no idea what its called, and i push the bar more onto my quads, still hurts like hell, i hate heavy hip thrusts