Need fitness plan

Hi all!
I'm having trouble finding a fitness plan that will work for me. I am 5'3 and weigh 190 pounds. After gaining all this weight from a bad time in my life, I'm ready to bounce back to 135/140. But I don't even know where to start.
Any help/advice/support would be much appreciated.

Replies

• xkimberlee007
    xkimberlee007 Posts: 44 Member
    I've been walking/jogging and pulling my kids around on a sled and it's been working for me. I think walking is a good starting point :)
  • sjrja
    sjrja Posts: 24 Member
    Walking, biking...Leslie Sansone's "walk away the pounds" videos are pretty good when the weather is bad and you have to be inside. Your local library may have exercise videos that you can try out, or there are lots available online on youtube. I also like Billy Blanks Tae Bo and Favorite Moves and Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - they are a little harder, but they don't take a lot of time and I really feel like I have had a workout afterwards.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Walk. Strength training. Calorie deficit.

:)
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    I've been walking/jogging and pulling my kids around on a sled and it's been working for me. I think walking is a good starting point :)

I agree. Start with walking and then add jogging. You can add some weights in later and then go from there.

I'm 5"5 at 160.4 lb and my current plan is to do Body Balance ( Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates all in 1) x2, C25K x 3 and weights x 1 with a possibility of Stand Up Paddling x1 or every other week. :)
  • nindos
    nindos Posts: 1
    Hi,

Well wanting to start is definitely a good start.
    After a bad injury I went up to 92Kg (I am 5’5) currently at 85.5)
    These are just a few things you can do help you achieve your goal.
    1) Start with your diet first (Most important step)
    - Cut out fizzy and sugary drinks -> switch to water.
    - Avoid white bread, pasta -> switch to wholemeal or cut it out completely.
    - Reduce your alcohol consumption
    Cutting out or drastically reducing the above is tough but is worth it
    2) Stick to your Diet
    3) To track your progress use the MyfitnessPal app and also maybe even take photos of your initial figure then compare and see the transition every 1-2weeks
    4) Regular exercise alongside a good diet is key, Either sign up to a gym or start a new hobby, try some classes in your local area see what you like then commit to it.
    5) If you do choose to sign up at a gym get a Personal Trainer to draw up a work out plan for you or buy a copy of Muscle & fitness some editions have some pretty good workout guides.
    Good Luck
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member

4) Regular exercise alongside a good diet is key, Either sign up to a gym or start a new hobby, try some classes in your local area see what you like then commit to it.
    5) If you do choose to sign up at a gym get a Personal Trainer to draw up a work out plan for you or buy a copy of Muscle & fitness some editions have some pretty good workout guides.

I disagree. Unless there is a medical need, there is no reason to cut out white bread, pasta or switching to an alternative. It's about moderation. You can still eat whatever you want, you just have to exercise portion control and fit it into your caloric goal.

As for exercise, a gym is not necessary, nor is a personal trainer. Sure having a gym membership is nice, and there are classes and equipment for use all in one place. But for someone just starting out, you don't have to have either one. You can start small by walking around the neighborhood or local park. You can do at home workouts using videos and youtube. You don't need a personal trainer to get you started on any of that, you just have to do a little research and find things you enjoy.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    If you are just starting I recommend walking. Then start mixing in some short jogs into it. After a while go for a mile without stopping. Before you know it you will fall in love with running.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    1. Set MFP to lose 1lb a week.
    2. Eat close to but no more than the calories it allocates you.
    3. Do exercise you love, not what other people tell you "works best".
    4. Record the exercise you do on MFP and eat back a good proportion of your "exercise calories".

Without you saying what your fitness goals are and whether you have access to any equipment or a gym, it's impossible to suggest a routine. But assuming you're just starting out and don't have any equipment, start walking as fast as you can for half an hour 5 days a week, and do bodyweight resistance exercises. These include push-ups, sit-ups, squats, lunges, triceps dips, planks, burpees, wall squats etc.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member

As for exercise, a gym is not necessary, nor is a personal trainer. Sure having a gym membership is nice, and there are classes and equipment for use all in one place. But for someone just starting out, you don't have to have either one.
    Like you, I disagree. A person starting out on an exercise program should hire a personal trainer. Gym is optional. Depending on if that person has never exercised before, his/her form could be wrong plus other variables.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member

I disagree. Unless there is a medical need, there is no reason to cut out white bread, pasta or switching to an alternative. It's about moderation. You can still eat whatever you want, you just have to exercise portion control and fit it into your caloric goal.

As for exercise, a gym is not necessary, nor is a personal trainer. Sure having a gym membership is nice, and there are classes and equipment for use all in one place. But for someone just starting out, you don't have to have either one. You can start small by walking around the neighborhood or local park. You can do at home workouts using videos and youtube. You don't need a personal trainer to get you started on any of that, you just have to do a little research and find things you enjoy.

This. All of this.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Hello, friend!

You only need one plan: Be consistent.

1. Be consistent in your exercise. Try out walking / jogging 2 - 3 times a week. When the time comes and you feel ready to ramp it up, try exercising 3 - 4 times a week.

2. Be consistent in your food intake. Be mindful of your calories, be consistent with eating in moderation. As long as there's a deficit, you're okay.

Consistency is key because weight loss doesn't happen just because you ate one salad. ;) It takes months, even years, of hard work - and at the end of it all, you're going to be so happy you pushed through!

All the best!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    my advice
    1. create a 500 per day calorie deficit.
    2. set your macros to 40p/30f/30c
    3. Pick up a copy of starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman
    4. build program around lifting heavy and using compound movements - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, chin ups/pull ups, and bench press. Work out in the six to ten rep range three days a week and mix in cardio on your off days.
    5. repeat and adjust…
  • studs90
    studs90 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you all for your advice! There was a huge snow storm today so I did some squats and crunches. I also downloaded the 0 to 5K coach app. Ate a healthy lunch today (veggie homemade soup) and plan on eating some whole wheat pasta with turkey meatballs for dinner.
    When should I start doing weight lifting? I'm pretty out of shape so I was hoping I could start with cardio for a couple weeks then move on to weights.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks again for the advice and support! Lord knows I need it!
  • pjowkar
    pjowkar Posts: 36 Member
    P90X3. It's only 30 minutes a day, so if you skip a day, you can make it up by doing a double the following day. Super fun, even if Tony Horton has some cheesy jokes. I'm doing the lean plan and so far, the only equipment I've used is a yoga mat, 10 lb weight, and a towe. I just finished day 14.