Coffee Creamer

Options
I love the flavored creamers to add to my coffee in the a.m. (1 cup sometimes 2 /day). So I'm trying half n half with a tsp of sugar, it's alright. International Delights and Coffee-Mate are brands that I've tried. But I'm not a fan of the amt of sugar in them and the calories add up fast. Plus all the junk that it's made with, yuck! What are some good alternatives to add some flavor without breaking the calorie bank? Are the sugar-free one's a good or bad choice? Has anyone tried the Silk soy creamers? Or the Natural Bliss (chocolate)?

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Don't know what to tell you...I enjoy 2 tbsp of International Delight or Bailey's creamer in my coffee every morning. Well worth the 70 calories for my taste buds! :)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite coffee additions is 2Tbsp vanilla almond milk + 1tsp honey. You might give it a shot; it's very sweet and rich without packing a caloric load.

On the other hand... I'll admit to just using regular old creamer most of the time. I just make sure to accurately weigh my portions (I just tare my mug out on the scale, then pour 15ml creamer straight in) and account for that relatively minor amount of calories in my log. Sometimes I do use the sugar-free ones and I find them just as good, though if you're going for "clean" eating that's probably not your bag.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Homemade coffee creamer recipes

14oz sweetened condensed milk
    1 3/4 cup milk or cream (whole, lowfat, skim, almond, soy, heavy cream, half & half etc – whatever your preference, however the more fat, the more creaminess)

Mix the ingredients together well. Add them to a mason jar and shake it like crazy or you could also opt to use an old (washed) creamer container.

French Vanilla Creamer
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract OR vanilla coffee syrup

Vanilla Bean Coffee Creamer
    2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste

Chocolate
    2-3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
    (1 tsp vanilla extract, optional)

Chocolate Almond
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon almond extract

Strudel
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Vanilla Caramel
    2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Chocolate Raspberry
    2 teaspoons cocoa powder
    2 tablespoons raspberry syrup

Irish Cream
    2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
    1 teaspoon instant coffee
    1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Coconut
    2 teaspoons coconut extract

Samoa (like the Girl Scout Cookies)
    2 teaspoons coconut extract (or sub coconut milk or cream of coconut, heated & strained, for the milk/cream)

Peppermint Patty
    1 teaspoon peppermint extract

Cinnamon Vanilla
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Pumpkin Spice
    3 tablespoons pureed pumpkin
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    4 tablespoons maple syrup

Honey Vanilla
    1/4 cup honey

Almond Joy
    1-2 teaspoons coconut extract (or sub coconut milk or cream of coconut if you heat it first, strained, in place of the milk & extract)

Sweet Cream
    Use 1 3/4 cups of heavy cream instead of the milk in the base recipe
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract OR the inside of a vanilla bean, scraped

Chocolate Orange
    1-2 teaspoons orange extract

Hazelnut
    2 teaspoons hazelnut extract

Chocolate Hazelnut

Cinnamon Cake
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Salted Caramel
    2-3 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Eggnog
    replace milk in base recipe with equal amount of heavy cream
    1 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons rum extract
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Toasted Almond
    2 teaspoons almond extract

Directions & Tips:
    In all these recipes, anything that has a dry or thick ingredient (like cinnamon, honey, etc..) should be heated up with a small amount of your milk/cream from the base recipe so it can dissolve properly. You don’t want grainy creamer! Then, add the rest of the milk/cream along with the sweetened condensed milk.

If you want really creamy creamer, use heavy cream instead of milk in your base recipe.

You'll want to stick a piece of tape on they mason jar lid with the expiration date from the milk used. Use this as a guideline as to when the creamer should be used by.

Please feel free to play around with amounts of extracts and other ingredients used if you like stronger or less intense flavors!! And, let your imagination turn, and make up your own combinations. Use this as inspiration to create your very own perfect homemade flavored creamer!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I use stevia as sweetener (all natural, plant based, 0 calorie sweetener)
    organic half and half
    or almond/coconut/soy milk
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I use the UCC cafe plus creamer and it's 11 cals and tastes great!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

1 3/4 cup milk or cream (whole, lowfat, skim, almond, soy, heavy cream, half & half etc – whatever your preference, however the more fat, the more creaminess)

Mix the ingredients together well. Add them to a mason jar and shake it like crazy or you could also opt to use an old (washed) creamer container.

French Vanilla Creamer

Chocolate

Chocolate Almond

Strudel
    1 tablespoon cinnamon

Vanilla Caramel

Chocolate Raspberry
    2 teaspoons cocoa powder

Irish Cream

Coconut

2 teaspoons coconut extract (or sub coconut milk or cream of coconut, heated & strained, for the milk/cream)

Peppermint Patty

Cinnamon Vanilla
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Pumpkin Spice

Honey Vanilla
    1/4 cup honey

Almond Joy
    1-2 teaspoons coconut extract (or sub coconut milk or cream of coconut if you heat it first, strained, in place of the milk & extract)

Sweet Cream

Chocolate Orange

Hazelnut

Chocolate Hazelnut

Cinnamon Cake
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Salted Caramel
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Eggnog
    2 teaspoons rum extract
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Toasted Almond

Directions & Tips:
    In all these recipes, anything that has a dry or thick ingredient (like cinnamon, honey, etc..) should be heated up with a small amount of your milk/cream from the base recipe so it can dissolve properly. You don’t want grainy creamer! Then, add the rest of the milk/cream along with the sweetened condensed milk.

If you want really creamy creamer, use heavy cream instead of milk in your base recipe.

You'll want to stick a piece of tape on they mason jar lid with the expiration date from the milk used. Use this as a guideline as to when the creamer should be used by.

Please feel free to play around with amounts of extracts and other ingredients used if you like stronger or less intense flavors!! And, let your imagination turn, and make up your own combinations. Use this as inspiration to create your very own perfect homemade flavored creamer!

Awesome! Thank you!

For me I stopped using those products years ago because of the chemicals. But I will make things myself, I just never thought of doing it with coffee creamer. Your post is very much appreciated.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Don't know what to tell you...I enjoy 2 tbsp of International Delight or Bailey's creamer in my coffee every morning. Well worth the 70 calories for my taste buds! :)

I also use the ID and CoffeeMate, I make them fit into my calories for the day. I go over on my sugar every single day, I just make sure I stay within my calorie goals.

I may try to make some of those homemade recipes that someone posted on here, just to see if they compare. :wink:
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

French Vanilla Creamer

Chocolate

Chocolate Almond

Strudel
    1 tablespoon cinnamon

Vanilla Caramel

Chocolate Raspberry
    2 teaspoons cocoa powder

Irish Cream

Coconut

Peppermint Patty

Cinnamon Vanilla
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Pumpkin Spice

Honey Vanilla
    1/4 cup honey

Almond Joy

Sweet Cream

Chocolate Orange

Hazelnut

Chocolate Hazelnut

Cinnamon Cake
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Salted Caramel
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Eggnog
    2 teaspoons rum extract
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Toasted Almond

Directions & Tips:

This is AWESOME!! I copied and printed this out, minus the ones I knew I would not use. Thanks!! I will have to try some of these.
  • KD0BIK
    KD0BIK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This certainly may not apply to everyone. But for me, if I don't get my day off on the right track (including coffee the way I like it) then the rest of the day is shot. I typically drink two cups of coffee each morning and use the Carnation brand creamers. Once caffeinated, I'll adjust my intake as the day progresses even including to taking more stairs and making sure I get my steps in. But I personally never skimp on my morning coffee.

Speaking of which, time for another cup. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

J
  • Vandeusenk
    Vandeusenk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Something that really helped me was buying better coffee. I switched to local company fresh ground (right in the grocery store) flavored coffee (my current obsession is Leelanau Brewing Co.'s SnickerCookie Coffee) with almond milk as creamer.

Hope this helps!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Try half & Half with vanilla and cinnamon in it.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I know people will cringe...but I use the Sugar free creamers, which are only like 15 or 20 calories for 1 TBS (if I remember correctly).

And I've never had trouble losing weight with artificial sweeteners...so I figure all is fine in moderation.
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free creamer, usually coffeemate.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I use coffeemate a lot, but I really liked So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer in Vanilla, but I haven't seen it at any of the stores I shop at in over a year! So now I use fat free french vanilla (fat free bc it's 10 fewer calories). Sugar free has a completely different taste, I'm not a big fan of it. As long as I keep my portion to 1 or 2T, I can spare 50 calories for creamer!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    Make your own :) you can get sugar free flavoring syrups and extracts online or usually in the miixer section of a liquor store (i dont even drink and i can lead you straight through ours to find my white chocolate mixer!)
    Add it to your half and half or skim milk in the fridge, it adds up to be less expensive.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I realy like the natural bliss creamers. But I will use the sugar-free creamers (I think they definitely taste better than fat-free!). I usually only have 1 cup/day so the calories easily fit in my macros.
  • dodihere
    Options
    Almond milk

Cinnamon

I never log the extra calories. Not enough to matter.
  • rsmith22148
    Options
    I started using 1 3/4 c half and half and ff sweetened c. Milk.. how to figure calories in that? Tried the recipe calculators. But I don't know how many tablespoons in this concoction.. anyone know?
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Oh, lovely. Thank you :smile: