How does one determine calories in cooked food?

Options
Hello,
How do you determine the calories in cooked food when the nutritional label is only listing calories for a raw/uncooked serving? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Replies

• Michiiba
    Options
    You have to measure/weigh the food uncooked before hand because cooking evaporates some of the water making food weigh less. Like 6oz of raw chicken might way 3-5oz cooked.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    You have to measure/weigh the food uncooked before hand because cooking evaporates some of the water making food weigh less. Like 6oz of raw chicken might way 3-5oz cooked.
    This right here.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Cooking doesn't increase calories, per se, but it does change volume. For example, one cup of cooked carrots weighs in at 156 grams while the same amount of raw carrots weighs 128 grams. The difference is only like 15 calories but I guess over time that could make a difference to some people. So I guess you need to invest in a food scale. You will get a lot of different answers if you google it. Some nutritionists say the difference is negligible but true OCD food police will tell you it matters. I personally think it's crazy to worry about it but that's just me. I have enough to worry about. :)