Calorie Defecits post workout

Options
I run a calorie deficit seems every day. I am never starving and eat before and after my workouts. My height and weight is 5'11 and 262. I am a former marine and when i workout i go all out. My exercise plan is a full body workout plan called Hercules. I found it online as i was just wanting something to tone as i was doing cardio. I lift 3 times a week with 15-30 min cardio on mon,weds and fri. Tues,thurs and sat are all 45- 75 min of pure cardio followed by some core exercises. i have also started just doing assisted pullup and dips on cardio days. Sunday is a day of rest. I am not loosing as fast as i would like. I took full body measurements today so i have a starting point as to gauge future success. I looking for people to look at my diary and see if there is things i could improve on or if i am on the right track. Thanks for all the help i have received so far.

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    How much are you losing? How fast do you think you should be losing?

Are you logging *all* your food and drink and doing so accurately, weighing food where possible? I only went back about a week or so and really only glanced, but did look at the totals cals. I am losing (at a reasonably slow pace I like) eating as much or more than you on most days, and I am a fair bit lighter than you. Something seems off.
  • joshuarussell55
    joshuarussell55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am logging everything that enters my mouth. I am looking to lose 2 lbs a week. I am sure i lost some inches thats why i got my measurements done today so i can track that also
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    His net calories are usually always under 1000. Except on a rest day. Today he'll have 700 net after his workout. He's trying to train for a marathon in 5 months. He's trying for high protein, lower carb (still having carbs), and today wanted an egg white omelette because of the fat content he claimed. He's not losing like he thinks he should be; for just starting out he should be losing a higher number of pounds at first, but he's only losing 2lbs a week (4lbs total), which is a great number but not great when you figure that he's losing his starting water weight too. I try to get his calories up but he thinks he eats too much. I'm less weight than him and eat all my calories and have lost 6lbs in 1 week. Mind you, I'm not training like him or working out as hard. Looking for advice from people who don't eat back their calories, and anyone into lifting/training, the best type of diet for muscle growth and fat loss
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you're losing 2lbs per week, I'd say that's fine. Don't rush this, I understand you're lifting weights too, with your size I would think you have at least some decent muscle on you, so take the fat loss slowly, keep the protein intake high so you don't lose too much muscle. This is a marathon not a sprint.

But if you're seriously unsatisfied then take your current total calories and decrease it by 500 or so. I'd probably only drop it 250 and see how that goes.

OK...just looked at your diary. You're protein is way too low.

Do this...

Find your caloric deficit to where you're losing 1-2lbs per week.

Now, your protein should be 1-1.5g per body weight (I think it's LBM, but whatever), this is how much of your calories will be protein.

Fats should be .35-.45 of your body weight, this will be how much calories will be from fats.

Now, the rest of your calories will be carbs.

Now, just hit your macros each day...you'll hit your caloric deficit.

So, now as you're losing weight, if it begins to stall, you can drop some carbs or fats.
  • joshuarussell55
    joshuarussell55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N60utqXf5HQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dang it! no idea how to make that video work lol
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N60utqXf5HQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dang it! no idea how to make that video work lol

LOL...that's Kali Muscle. Protein is great especially the farts you get after thick shake.
  • Cortelli
    Options
    I am logging everything that enters my mouth. I am looking to lose 2 lbs a week. I am sure i lost some inches thats why i got my measurements done today so i can track that also

OK - I get from Anna that you've been at it for only two weeks, yeah? Give it some time but watch it closely. I lost 2 lbs a week for several months, all the while with 2 - 3 days of strength training, 3 days of cardio, and eating back a good portion of my exercise calories (because I figured the estimates were way too high). I never really netted below 1000 cals except for maybe a fluke day, and doing so doesn't strike me as a good way to go if one of your goals is to preserve muscle. You could probably go at 2 - 3 lbs a week for some time, though.

Use MFP to set your target (at 2lbs loss a week); stick to those goals; eat back a portion of your exercise calories. That's about all I've got.

BTW - you're obviously working a strength routine and not logging those calories burned (which is fine - they are likely smallish anyway). But some of your cardio stuff is way out of whack. In particular any of those walking or jogging numbers look to be about double what's realistic. A common rule for estimating burns for walking and jogging is XX * body weight * miles. XX=0.3 for walking and 0.63 for running. So you are really overestimating some of those burns -- but still, you're eating at a very large deficit for a guy your size and also not taking calorie credit for strength training. Doesn't explain the mystery.
    His net calories are usually always under 1000. Except on a rest day. Today he'll have 700 net after his workout. He's trying to train for a marathon in 5 months. He's trying for high protein, lower carb (still having carbs), and today wanted an egg white omelette because of the fat content he claimed. He's not losing like he thinks he should be; for just starting out he should be losing a higher number of pounds at first, but he's only losing 2lbs a week (4lbs total), which is a great number but not great when you figure that he's losing his starting water weight too. I try to get his calories up but he thinks he eats too much. I'm less weight than him and eat all my calories and have lost 6lbs in 1 week. Mind you, I'm not training like him or working out as hard. Looking for advice from people who don't eat back their calories, and anyone into lifting/training, the best type of diet for muscle growth and fat loss

Girlfriend / wife? Witnessing all these efforts? He's not going to grow muscle (at least not much at all) and lose weight at the same time. But he can maintain as much muscle as possible while losing. Eat 1 to 1.2 g protein per lb of lean body mass and regular resistance training. But trying to gain muscle and train for a marathon is working a bit at cross purposes.

Anyways - good luck. Stick to it for several more weeks and get into the rhythm -- 2 weeks is a little to early to get too bent out of shape.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    if ur getting stronger and still losing weight don't worry about anything.. results come slowly
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    But some of your cardio stuff is way out of whack. In particular any of those walking or jogging numbers look to be about double what's realistic. A common rule for estimating burns for walking and jogging is XX * body weight * miles. XX=0.3 for walking and 0.63 for running. So you are really overestimating some of those burns -- but still, you're eating at a very large deficit for a guy your size and also not taking calorie credit for strength training. Doesn't explain the mystery.

He's using MFP to calculate those burns the last couple days (before he was trusting the numbers on the machines themselves). I lost 103lbs in 1 year at sedentary using MFP to log anytime I went walking in the grocery store, or cleaning the house, or anything, and lost 2lbs a week, every week for the year (on average). I have no idea if they are correct or not, but it worked for me. Cant afford the HRM. Hadnt seen the calculation before, might have to try it and see how different it is.
  • Cortelli
    Options
    He's using MFP to calculate those burns the last couple days (before he was trusting the numbers on the machines themselves). I lost 103lbs in 1 year at sedentary using MFP to log anytime I went walking in the grocery store, or cleaning the house, or anything, and lost 2lbs a week, every week for the year (on average). I have no idea if they are correct or not, but it worked for me. Cant afford the HRM. Hadnt seen the calculation before, might have to try it and see how different it is.

Don't get me wrong - not criticizing. Just saying that given there seems to be a mystery not easily explained (other than its just been two weeks), it will help to nail down every variable possible. I personally use MFP calcs for many exercises and don't bother to correct them -- I do think they are often high though. I don't use an HRM or anything else. Not that critical for me and HRMs as I understand it are really only good for walking and to a lesser degree running.

In any event I would try not to be too disappointed, OP, with 2 lbs a week. I can see where you'd expect more, but 2 lbs a week will surprise you. If you can stick with it, suddenly four months will have gone by and you'll be like "WTF - how did I get so much leaner?" And I wouldn't be surprised if what you keep doing results in greater than 2 lbs a week for a few weeks. At that point you might consider slowing it down as it would be a shame to lose more muscle than needed. Good luck.