Need a little advice.

Options
So, I'm trying to maintain now, I just want to make sure my weight is good enough to stop losing. I weigh 103, last time I checked (yesterday). Before I was losing on about 700-1100 calories per day, sometimes going over. MFP has me eating 1650, so I just want to make sure I'm not over eating. Which I did today, but one glitch won't hurt me, right? I really hope not :/ Anyways, should I decrease my cals or will I maintain if I keep my activity level (lightly active), and go by my diet correctly?

Replies

• lafilledelarue
    lafilledelarue Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • katieefranc0
    Options
    How tall are you?

5'1"
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Maintaining can be terrifying at first, so I understand where you're at, but trust me eat the calories advised by MFP to maintain and eat them all! It's surprising how many you can eat and not gain any weight.

It takes a while to get the swing of maintenance (I've been maintaining for two years now). I use a fitbit as I kept losing too much weight. I eat around 2000 calories a day and I'm 107lb and 5'3".
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    p.s. One day off the wagon is not going to make a difference.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Agree - you will need to eat quite a lot to maintain.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Maintaining can be terrifying at first, so I understand where you're at, but trust me eat the calories advised by MFP to maintain and eat them all! It's surprising how many you can eat and not gain any weight.

It takes a while to get the swing of maintenance (I've been maintaining for two years now). I use a fitbit as I kept losing too much weight. I eat around 2000 calories a day and I'm 107lb and 5'3".

Mind me asking what's your activity like ? Always good to see someone who is smaller maintaining on 2000 cals :)
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is roughly 1030, add your exercise calories to that and you'll get a rough TDEE. That is your maintenance goal. Once you establish it. Try it for two weeks, if you lose OR gain, adjust up and down by 100 calories then wait another 2 weeks. Hope this helps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    EAT THE CALORIES IT GIVES YOU, or more.

(low BMI, size zero, lost your period.)
    Based on this and your other thread, you're CLEARLY not eating enough.

My real advice would be: stop.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Agree!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

^All of this.

It might be time to speak to a professional about this. Either a doctor, counselor, or a dietitian (preferably one trained to deal with disordered eating).
  • miladymarathoner
    miladymarathoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options

^All of this.

It might be time to speak to a professional about this. Either a doctor, counselor, or a dietitian (preferably one trained to deal with disordered eating).

EYE ROLL.

Um, just because someone is a size zero doesn't mean they are sick. Short people, like this lady seems to be, can be a size zero really easily, especially with vanity sizing. Her BMI is on the low end of HEALTHY(!). I repeat, healthy.

And you can lose your period for a lot of reasons. It is a great idea to talk to a doctor if you lose your period. But you don't necessarily have to run to a dietitian specializing in EDs.

I think it's a great accomplishment to go from a 6 to a 0, and no doubt took a lot of work.
    We shorties aren't unhealthy just because we are a correspondingly small size.

To answer the main question on this thread: Someone looking to maintain should slowly increase calories until they stop losing. Say, 100-200 per day, for one week. See how your weight changes, and adjust from there.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

^All of this.

EYE ROLL.
    Thanks for the eye roll.
    Read her posts. All of them. She's young. Everything she posts is a red flag for a kid in trouble.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the eye roll.
    Read her posts. All of them. She's young. Everything she posts is a red flag for a kid in trouble.

Or a kid looking for attention.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options

^All of this.

EYE ROLL.

Um, just because someone is a size zero doesn't mean they are sick. Short people, like this lady seems to be, can be a size zero really easily, especially with vanity sizing. Her BMI is on the low end of HEALTHY(!). I repeat, healthy.

And you can lose your period for a lot of reasons. It is a great idea to talk to a doctor if you lose your period. But you don't necessarily have to run to a dietitian specializing in EDs.

I think it's a great accomplishment to go from a 6 to a 0, and no doubt took a lot of work.
    We shorties aren't unhealthy just because we are a correspondingly small size.

To answer the main question on this thread: Someone looking to maintain should slowly increase calories until they stop losing. Say, 100-200 per day, for one week. See how your weight changes, and adjust from there.

Hello fellow hundred pounder groupie ^.^, THIS^^^^^^^^ in relation to size, I am a size 0 (have been much larger in the past) at 5' 3". HOWEVER, OP - you are not eating enough!! Like I said in my response to your other post, I maintain on 1700 (while being a chronic couch potato) and I'm about the same weight as you. Your age also suggests you can probably get away with eating MORE than I can.

As someone who has always been self conscious and had horrible body image, etc., please listen to me when I say your current way of thinking is dangerous. I promise you can eat much more than that and maintain. You can eat more than that and still lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks for the eye roll.

Or a kid looking for attention.
    Not much different in this cases I suspect.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how does anyone just eat 700 to 1100 cals a day ..wow
  • heatherdhart
    Options
    HI Katie,
    The most important question is... What is your GOAL? Are you wanting to maintain at your current weight? Exercise? I would say that the minimum would be about 1800 calories. Make sure that they are clean calories and that you chose your foods wisely. If you have a problem eating that many calories, I would suggest eating more nutrient dense foods like cheese and maybe staking your meals with a meal supplement. How old are you? I would like to know more about you. heatherdhart